Pork Ribs - - - Beef Ribs

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
Boiled ribs is a sin against nature. Boiling is why ribs eventually need sauce; all the meat flavor is left in the water.

I agree. I bake my ribs covered with aluminum foil, nice and slow, until they're tender, then remove
the foil and slather them with barbecue sauce.:lick: And let it bake some more.

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
Smoking makes the toughest cuts tender and juicy. You don't need to start with premium cuts to get a premium end product.

May 29, 2006
There's boiling and there's blanching. You can blanch them to get them to temp without causing much harm(about five minutes) then slow cook them at 140-150F and 100% humidity until they fall apart. They can be blanched in water around 160F. The hot new thing nowadays is Sous Vide cooking, where you put meat in a cryopack and poach it in 140 deg water for a couple hours before finish cooking it.

I'm kind of skeptical about it:
[video=youtube;7zh8JDZGsN4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zh8JDZGsN4[/video]

What I hate about most ribs you buy already in marinate is it's loaded with salt. It's so brined, it may as well be pastrami.

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
My neighbor did once...we wound up with about a dozen bones...no meat, just charred bones... :ninja:

Lower the temp to ~250*. You may be cooking it too fast. Even when I use the oven, I set it to no higher than 275-300* tops.

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
Sous vide could be interesting. The water won't leech off the flavor due to the cryo packing.

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
and of course almost every neighborhood has a local butcher....carniceria...but most of his business is finished by 12pm...but u find out where it is and tell him what u want.... and he will tell u when,,,,,,,

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
Fall-apart ribs are considered by some (including myself) to be over-cooked. IMO, there should be some chew to them, otherwise they'll just fall from the bone when you pick it up.

But as always, what really matters is if people like the taste. It's not my cup of tea, but to each their own.

PeteyPablo

Bronze
Apr 30, 2011
Indirect cooking method with a water pan and some fruit wood to smoke....give it some hours and ohhh man!

Apple juice in mop sauce is very good. For brine or rub it needs a major flavor kick. Ever tried cuban mojo seasoned bbq ribs? Mmmmm

Has anyone been to the Jack Daniels BBQ competition? I met some of the 'BBQ Pitmaster' guys and tried their cue. Really good stuff but some no name guys had some of the best bbq sauce that Ive ever tried. Absolute bbq nirvana!!

Last edited:
May 29, 2006
I prefer pulled pork over ribs any day myself. Pork shoulder is much cheaper than ribs and they're boneless to start off with. A big scoop on a bulky roll with some fries and slaw and you're good to go. You can cook it in a crock pot or even a rice cooker for 5-6 hours, drain off the fat, and then it's scoop and serve.

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
Is pork shoulder that much cheaper here in DR? In Chicago, shoulder is at best $.30 cheaper than spare ribsand usually only $.10 or $.15. But now that I think of it, it's always noticeably cheaper than babybacks.

I prefer bone-in shoulder; the presentation of pulling that center bone out with just a twist usually leaves everyone drooling.

Everyone, that is, except immigrants from the planets Vega and Vegetar.