Port-Au-Prince residents sheltering in place as violence escalates

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004

PORT-AU-PRINCE, Jan 18 (Reuters) - Haiti's capital Port-au-Prince was on lockdown on Thursday, as flaming barricades across several neighborhoods forced residents to shelter in place or return home in the latest flare-ups in chronic gang violence plaguing the Caribbean country.
Streets were blocked off by burning tires and rocks, sending up huge plumes of black smoke in the sky across various parts of the city, according to Reuters eyewitnesses.

It was not immediately clear who was behind the siege on the city's Solino area, which first began several days ago.
Analysts say violence has been escalating for months as gangs jockey for power and seek to put pressure on interim Prime Minister Ariel Henry, ahead of the Feb. 7 expiry of a political accord that consolidated his power.
Pierre Esperance, of Human Rights Network RNDDH said two dozen deaths had been reported in Solino, an impoverished neighborhood, since the weekend.

"Police are absent. The public physical force is not present," he said. "And the population in (other) areas have blocked the streets in solidarity with Solino."
The violence comes ahead of a court decision expected on Jan. 26 on a Kenyan-led multinational force to address gang violence in the country, one of the poorest in the Western Hemisphere.
A police spokesperson did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Henry faces multiple groups seeking to remove him from power, including Guy Philippe, a former rebel and convicted felon in the U.S.
Moïse Jean-Charles, leader of the Pitit Dessalines party, has also called for protests in the coming days and weeks.
There is currently no date set for a new presidential election.
Reporting by Harold Isaac, Editing by Isabel Woodford and Sandra Maler
Our Standards: The Thomson Reuters Trust Principles.

• Sad
Reactions: NanSanPedro

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
The Haitian situation has deteriorated significantly and worsened since the Kenyan government first promised to intervene months ago. There’s very little Haitian political support for the intervention. If the initiative isn’t dead, it’s on its last breath. The Kenyan court decision may be the final nail in the coffin. Biden is fighting for his political life and Trudeau’s government is down in the bottom of the polls. I don’t expect much criticism from them if the Kenyans don’t intervene. Politics is very fickle. The UN has bigger fires to fight than the one in Haiti. Don’t expect anything from them.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
One should never expect anything from the UN except for money spent for nothing.

Hopefully the US and Canada are not stupid enough to intervene.

Less than a week before Keny is forbidden to send troops.

Reactions: cavok and Big

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016

Haiti asks to send a multinational mission soon because every day that passes is "hell"​

United Nations .- Haiti insisted this Thursday in the UN Security Council on the prompt deployment of the multinational mission that Kenya will lead to stop the violence because every day that passes is "hell."
«The Haitian people can't take it anymore. I hope that this time it will be the last appearance before the arrival of the multinational force" approved by this United Nations body last October in support of the National Police to confront insecurity, stated the country's Minister of Foreign Affairs and Worship. Caribbean, Jean-Victor Geneus, in a new session of the Security Council on Haiti.
In this regard, Geneus stressed that so far this year, the violence of armed gangs has intensified, "perhaps worried about the arrival of the mission", after 2023 in which homicides doubled concerning 2022 (they were close to 4,800) and in which, he stressed, Haiti saw one person die every two hours.
This situation was also referred to in her speech by the special representative of the UN Secretary-General in Haiti, María Isabel Salvador, who denounced a growing escalation of violence and "an unprecedented increase" in the actions of armed gangs. to the point that last year the United Nations Integrated Office in Haiti (Binuh) documented more than 8,400 direct victims of gangs.
Although 83% of the dead and injured were concentrated in the Haitian capital in 2023, the violence spread to other areas such as Artibonite, detailed Salvador, who highlighted the large-scale attacks by gangs south of Port-au-Prince and employment systematic of sexual violence against women and girls as a form of control.
In Salvador's opinion, rapid deployment of the security support mission, effective sanctions, and a political process that leads, as soon as possible, to credible, participatory, and inclusive elections, are fundamental elements to restore stability in Haiti.
Financial support for the multinational mission
The Kenyan delegation, which will lead the multinational mission, highlighted the progress in preparations for its deployment by this African country, where this Friday the justice system must rule on a lawsuit that calls into question the constitutionality of the sending of Kenyan police officers to Haiti.
The Kenyan representative detailed the measures to be adopted for the mission to be successful, including strong multinational support with resources in funds, equipment, and logistics; nipping in the bud the entry of weapons into Haiti and the financing of gangs, strengthening criminal justice and bring to justice those responsible for the violence or that Haitian leaders commit to a political process that allows elections to be held in a reasonable period.
For the Minister of Foreign Affairs of the Dominican Republic, Roberto Álvarez, the delay in the deployment of the mission is "disturbing" because "Haiti is at the gates of the abyss" and "every day of inaction is a new opportunity" for the gangs to expand. their control and continue with their activities.
He affirmed that it is "imperative" that all relevant actors act decisively for the success of the mission, also in terms of financial support and considered the participation of the Government and the people to be essential to achieve a solution to the crisis in Haiti, a country with that the Dominican Republic shares the island of Hispaniola.
Stop arms trafficking to Haiti
Another point that was insisted upon in this session of the Security Council was the need to prevent the trafficking of arms and ammunition to Haiti.
In this regard, the executive director of the United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime (Unodc), Ghada Fathi Wali, advocated for increasing customs control capabilities and land, sea, and border borders. aerial.
He also urged greater exchange of information on this matter between the United States and Caribbean countries and greater surveillance of international flights of small aircraft likely to carry weapons.
The executive director of the Human Rights Watch (HRW) organization, Tirana Hassan, also spoke at the meeting, warning that "Haitians are experiencing terrifying levels of violence" and a serious food crisis (criminal groups prevent the delivery of assistance humanitarian, he denounced), so "they urgently need an international response (...) with each passing day more lives are in danger."

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
And how do they get their wealth in such an impoverished place? What is the source of that cash for guns?
I would guess that the majority of their cash comes from corruption and drug sales. Remember the earthquake of 2010? Billions into the Red Cross. None of it has been accounted for. After over 10 years there were still people living in tents.

This is why I always argue that if you aren't personally involved in a charity, don't give anything.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I would guess that the majority of their cash comes from corruption and drug sales. Remember the earthquake of 2010? Billions into the Red Cross. None of it has been accounted for. After over 10 years there were still people living in tents.

This is why I always argue that if you aren't personally involved in a charity, don't give anything.
That was my guess as well, drug sales, just looking for confirmation.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
How do they get their wealth? These familieshave been wealthy, they are the "old money" in Haiti. Who do you think armed the gangs in the first place?
I have no idea, that is why I asked the question. I did suspect it was primarily drug money, but that remains to be confirmed. There is just so much money to be made running drugs and with gangs in place, the mechanism is there to keep the money and arms flowing from the drug sales.

Even if there was old money from stealing every asset previously in Haiti, that eventually runs out and a new source is needed.

Northern Coast Diver

Private Scuba Guide
Feb 23, 2020
Sosua
I have no idea, that is why I asked the question. I did suspect it was primarily drug money, but that remains to be confirmed. There is just so much money to be made running drugs and with gangs in place, the mechanism is there to keep the money and arms flowing from the drug sales.

Even if there was old money from stealing every asset previously in Haiti, that eventually runs out and a new source is needed.
No, No, No. Old money is invested offshore and they control all industry, imports, etc. Old money doesn't get it's hands dirty. Drug money is "new" money

Big

Apr 24, 2019
Sir Windy. I know you think the drug trade runs and rules the world. A firearm can be imported to any corner of the earth. If I were living and doing business in Haiti I would have two firearms. A pistol and a carbine. There is still business being conducted in Haiti. The owners are offshore.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Sir Windy. I know you think the drug trade runs and rules the world. A firearm can be imported to any corner of the earth. If I were living and doing business in Haiti I would have two firearms. A pistol and a carbine. There is still business being conducted in Haiti. The owners are offshore.
My friend who lives there carries 2 uzis.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
No I don't think the drug trade rules the world. I think has very significant impact in places where drugs are sourced, in transshipment locations like the island of Hispaniola , not to mention the corruption it causes from start to end user from the easy money to be made.

The world economy is in the $100 trillion range while illegal drug use is in the few hundred billion dollar range. An order of magnitude but still significant.

"With estimates of $100 billion to $110 billion for heroin, $110 billion to $130 billion for cocaine, $75 billion for cannabis and $60 billion for synthetic drugs, the probable global figure for the total illicit drug industry would be approximately $360 billion. https://www.worldometers.info/drugs/