Possible bad news for those of use using foreign ATM/Debit cards

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
"pjt" I'd love to see the "Source" of your "Insider Information"????????
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Thru personal use of PJT's own cards at various locations. Have always encountered lower limits in the pueblos. When denied access on a machine, let's suggest Banco Popular in the pueblo, have gone to same bank's machine in a resort same day and had no problem. When PJT has queried the bank about this, they have answered they and the reserve bank through which the transactions are funneled control the behavior of ATM's at different locations.

This is the explanation PJT received.

Regards,

PJT

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Thru personal use of PJT's own cards at various locations. Have always encountered lower limits in the pueblos. When denied access on a machine, let's suggest Banco Popular in the pueblo, have gone to same bank's machine in a resort same day and had no problem. When PJT has queried the bank about this, they have answered they and the reserve bank through which the transactions are funneled control the behavior of ATM's at different locations.

This is the explanation PJT received.

Regards,

PJT

Hum yesterday I was assured that Popular uses the same system everywhere!!! Now I know there is a difference between the actions of the ATM for foreign and local cards. Local keeps the card until ready to dispense the money, and foreign returns the card before asking for the pen. This is new last week, before the kept all cards until ready to dispense money.

BHD on the other had returns the card prior to asking for the pen for both local, and foreign.

arturo

Bronze
Mar 14, 2002
I had no trouble using a US based credit union ATM card to withdraw 15,000 on May 25. I can't remember which Dominican bank's ATM it was. I guess I could look it up. Maybe it is your bank that is imposing the policy?

Last week was possible to remove 20,000rd from BHD ATM's depending on your Foreign limit. Today, tried no love, told me invalid data. US bank told me it did not query their system(was on the phone with them at the time). Tried 10,000 same message. Asked at the bank here and they told me there is now a 5000rd limit, as of their system change on the ATM's.
Tried Popular for 10,000 which used to be the limit, no love, 5,000rd was fine. At 10,000 the ATM told me I had exceeded the daily limit.
This was all on a US bank ATM card.

It has to be the systems here as the US bank is not receiving the query.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Art PM me and let me know which bank. No its not my CU i had them on the phone during one of the tries, they are telling me that the request never got to their system or it would have been approved.

caribeman

Dec 26, 2011
Enjoy meeting new people/cultures
Can anyone provide more than conjecture!???

I was able to get 6000 yesterday. And I don't have a concern about ATM fees because my bank, PNC, reimburses me.

I find that banks in the city often times have lower limits. I have been able to receive 10k in pesos at local North Coast banks...but my US limit is much higher than that. ATM here will not allow it. When I go to a small nearby town - it will only give me 5000 at Popular or Ban Reservas.

A royal pain when you are paying for a mattress or a stove or such...and want the Effectivo price.