Possibly the most frustrating shopping concern

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
Is there any websites that I can search for appliances, furniture, home goods for stores located in the DR that actually list their prices.. I understand that prices change frequently here but you would imagine some of the bigger store could hire an employee to change their website prices on a weekly basis.. This makes shopping such a hassle for me because I'm the type of person who prefers not to haggle around too much if possible.. anyone seen any sites that have prices on them ?

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Is there any websites that I can search for appliances, furniture, home goods for stores located in the DR that actually list their prices.. I understand that prices change frequently here but you would imagine some of the bigger store could hire an employee to change their website prices on a weekly basis.. This makes shopping such a hassle for me because I'm the type of person who prefers not to haggle around too much if possible.. anyone seen any sites that have prices on them ?

Dream on....

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Here we go again......
Disagree if you wish......... you will get more efficient, better working 'white goods' in the US.....w/ more options.

The stripped down items-no ice maker , water dispenser, etc really knock the $$$$$ down and work better here.

Buy from Home Depot or Lowes... use the free shipping option to send it to any mudanza and have it arrive at your door for about $300 shipping/delivery.

no muss, no fuss, no surprises

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Here we go again......
Disagree if you wish......... you will get more efficient, better working 'white goods' in the US.....w/ more options.

The stripped down items-no ice maker , water dispenser, etc really knock the $$$$$ down and work better here.

Buy from Home Depot or Lowes... use the free shipping option to send it to any mudanza and have it arrive at your door for about $300 shipping/delivery.

No disagreement on that at all. It is THE way to go.

lisagauss

Bronze
Feb 16, 2011

The problem is that not many Dominicans shop online; I don't think that is even in existence in DR. Most people by in B&M stores. So stores aren't going to spend time or money updating a website which probably will just be a waste for them.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Here we go again......

Thank you Windy..... AND... little to no effort... it arrives COD for the shipping

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
the only consideration there is the lack of warranty. not sure if that's an issue or not ... or even if the warranty on locally purchased appliances are worth the paper they're written on, but it's a consideration.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
the only consideration there is the lack of warranty. not sure if that's an issue or not ... or even if the warranty on locally purchased appliances are worth the paper they're written on, but it's a consideration.

That is an issue I have long since decided to ignore. But it is a potential issue if you think a warranty here has any value.

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
What do folks think: Would a container load of used Fridges and washing machines and kitchen stoves sell here?
KNow a Guy who brings one into Panama every month.
Der Fish

If you could sell them cheaper than the lowest quality new ones sell for you will have a huge market..

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Here we go again......

yes perhaps but the appliances that i have bought here.. the stove and the fridge both from Costa Rica both better designed than American made and much lighter weight and much less expensive both for initial cost and operation

all the american made appliances are MEGA electric consumers with miniimum standards.. The ones i have are better designed.

I would not drink water from a fridge dispenser.. not even in the sTates..

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
What do folks think: Would a container load of used Fridges and washing machines and kitchen stoves sell here?
KNow a Guy who brings one into Panama every month.
Der Fish

Now that you mention it, there used to be many popular stores that sold used stuff they brought from china and japan. Mostly fridges and washing machines. The washing machines were even called "japonesitas" by people. My first fridge in DR was an very old import, ugly as hell, but very good. 2 thousand pesos at the time. I gave it away after a few years, but last time I checked, it was still working fine...12 years later.

Somehow, I haven't seen this kind of stores lately, but maybe I'm not paying attention...