Power costs

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
Ok, all your numbers convinced me... All you Edenorte customers who have a good inverter are doing better than us Luz & Fuerza customers who pay an arm & a leg for a 24/7 power service...
-But now what ?
-We don't have any choice, as Luz & Fuerza is the only electricity provider in the Las Terrenas...
-Any idea ?

Don Pedro

Apr 2, 2005
36 months x 2,200 pesos = 79,200 pesos

36 months x 580 pesos = 20,800 pesos +
8 batteries x 3,000 pesos = 24,000 pesos
For a total of 44,800 pesos
(Not counting cost of Inverter, 3 year balance would allow 34,400 for Inverter cost)

But you do not need 8 batteries for an average of 175Kw/month only 4 are enought.

Don Pedro

Apr 2, 2005
Ok, all your numbers convinced me... All you Edenorte customers who have a good inverter are doing better than us Luz & Fuerza customers who pay an arm & a leg for a 24/7 power service...
-But now what ?
-We don't have any choice, as Luz & Fuerza is the only electricity provider in the Las Terrenas...
-Any idea ?

Ask for decent rates.
Haces una huge huelga , burn Luz& Fuerza offices , burn the deluxe SUV car of Luz & Fuerza President bought with the money they ripped you off...

Squat

Jan 1, 2002
I take it you have no interest in relocating to Puerto Plata.;)
I was living in the Puerto Plata area for 7 years... I enjoyed it a lot, however plan to stay in Las Terrenas or a while... I'll just go on paying my bills & enjoy the beach...

Squat

Jan 1, 2002
Ask for decent rates.
Haces una huge huelga , burn Luz& Fuerza offices , burn the deluxe SUV car of Luz & Fuerza President bought with the money they ripped you off...
That might be an idea ;)

SamanaJon

Jun 20, 2007
Luz y Fuerza charges far too much for their electricity. I am paying $40+ cents/kwh which is unrealistic. They do have a monopoly. Their service is average at best. last night we had a outage for 5+ hours. I have a gen. + inverter as back-ups, therefore no problem. But when one pays such a premium, your should demand excellent service. In the DR, one can demand anything, but who the hell will listen. I also and wondering why I had to buy my transformer (and it belongs to LyF) when it appears that all the transformers were donated by NRECA (Nat. Rural Electric Coop Asso.) from the USA. US Aid gave a lot of money to LyF for thier distribution system . Sounds like a sweet deal, US Aid freebies and charge the customer out the yazoo for service and hook-up. But it is still cheaper than operating my diesel gensets and inverter on a yearly basis. Perhaps an organized group should address LyF and negotiate lower rates. As an individual I have no strength to request lower electrical rates. Orsini Bosch (owner of LyF) will not let his little Gold Mine go by the wayside and will charge whatever he wishes as long as he can. A true Capalist, I admire him, in a strange way....

Squat

Jan 1, 2002
Downtown Las Terrenas, Luz & Fuerza delivers an outstanding service (for Dominican standards...). I don't think we have more blackouts than 30mn every 3 or 4 months...
Power is stable enough so all my PC's don't go crazy... I can only complain about the rates they charge, but not about the quality.

I do however agree with SamanaJon, as I know many L&F customers living away from the village, and they experiment many problems that I don't...

Janin

On Vacation....
Jul 31, 2007
Already Done

.... huelga .... burn the deluxe SUV car of Luz & Fuerza President ....
I don't remember the year (more than 9 years back), but exactly that was done.
A young man was shot (but not killed) by a L&F manager (owner?), who was then flown out of trouble by a helicopter....

Janin

Last edited: