Power rates increases put on hold; Listin Diario reports on major wage increases at the Superintendency of Electricity

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
Superintendencia-Electricidad-Diario-Libre-1024x678.png

President Luis Abinader ordered a freeze on the increases in power tariffs last Wednesday, 20 July 2022. Days before, Listin Diario had reported that while consumers were subject to major increases in power rates, the staff at the Superintendency of Electricity were also getting major increases, but to their wages.

Protests over the hikes in electricity rates coinciding with hikes in wages made headlines. After, the Superintendency of Electricity set back the most recent increase in wages of the head and board members, not so the employees that got to keep their wage increases. Thousands of people have been appointed at the government-operated electricity entities following the change of government.

The Superintendent of Electricity (SIE) admitted to reporters that its employees had, indeed, received a nice pay raise, but that this was done last September...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Not understanding, JD. Was this for the higher ups or the worker bees? That makes a massive difference in my view

Everyone.

The Administrative Council of the Superintendence of Electricity ( SIE ) announced, this Sunday night, that it made the decision to immediately and voluntarily rescind the proportion of the 9.5% salary adjustment , which became effective on September 1, last year for all employees of the entity.

I'm guessing Luis wasn't too pleased when he saw wage increases and rate increases in the same breath.

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
Within the last few days, we've had more short outages than during the last 2 years combined... i'm happy to see a bit of protesting here, the service gets s***tier all the time but bills increase...

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
No salary increases either.

The guy in charge should be terminated.

I repeat what I wrote a while ago: Just when I think the govt here cannot disappoint more, they do exactly that... At least they are good at something...

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
Everyone.

The Administrative Council of the Superintendence of Electricity ( SIE ) announced, this Sunday night, that it made the decision to immediately and voluntarily rescind the proportion of the 9.5% salary adjustment , which became effective on September 1, last year for all employees of the entity.

I'm guessing Luis wasn't too pleased when he saw wage increases and rate increases in the same breath.

Understand but that sucks for the worker bees. They have to deal with inflation too.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Always reactive never proactive.
Law, regulations and decrees (oh my!)
mean nothing until they are fully enforced.

Reactions: Yourmaninvegas