Power When Electric Out

NotLurking

Bronze
Jul 21, 2003
Sto Dgo Este
Yes. I was looking at a solar charger for the tablet and a battery fan but still there would be no wifi.
Yes you could have wifi with this device. Look at your wifi router's power adapter and read the output voltage and amps listed. They are usually 12vdc at 2amps. If yours is 12vdc or 9vdc you can power it off of this battery pack You could also use a12vdc fan and charge your tablet while your at it for a few hours. Not the best solution but given your financial constraint I think something like this is a viable solution for you. If you like post the model number of your router and I'll look up its power requirements for you. Good luck.

Drperson

Sep 19, 2008
I'm not sure the right terms to use but here is my quest. I want something inexpensive to use when the electric goes out. I do not want it connected to the house permanently as I rent and plan to move when it's possible. I want to connect my wifi modem, a fan and able to charge phone. Don't need lights as enough comes in through the windows from neighbors power plant and Texaco across the street. I can't use a gas power thingy as I don't have a place to put it safely outside. Any ideas? Remember, I have very limited funds.

Drperson

Sep 19, 2008
I'm not sure the right terms to use but here is my quest. I want something inexpensive to use when the electric goes out. I do not want it connected to the house permanently as I rent and plan to move when it's possible. I want to connect my wifi modem, a fan and able to charge phone. Don't need lights as enough comes in through the windows from neighbors power plant and Texaco across the street. I can't use a gas power thingy as I don't have a place to put it safely outside. Any ideas? Remember, I have very limited funds.
Can you use a normal house inverter 12 v to ac110v with just one battery and a seperate charger like a car battery charger? why do they always put 2 batteries together on an inverter?

ese tipo

Apr 12, 2019
It would be great if I understood just half of what you said. Lol. I didn't think it would.be so difficult to have a small fan to keep me from sweating to death and modem for internet so I can be connected with my kindle. I don't have a tv, air, nothing fancy. I do have a fridge but that's fine for a normal power outage. I have a computer that isn't needed if I can just have my kindle charged and maybe a little wifi.
It may be of help to know what your budget is.How much are you looking to spend?A quick glance through some posts here and you see just how scarce utilities can be on the island (be it power, water,and or sewer)With the on again off again power you really want to consider capacity.The bigger the battery in watt hours the less downtime you have waiting for power to come back on.The biggest regret people often have is not allowing for reserve capacity.When the power is out, and whatever you bought for backup power waiting to be charged up,then you inevitably can become a doggie chasing it's tail.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Jan, Get yourself a good UPS for the modem and a good USB fan you plug into your PC.

Or this little guy:

Or this one that is battery AND USB powered:

Last edited:

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
There are plenty of ads on Facebbook Market place.
I suggest a use (non-sinewave) inverter and 2 batteries. You could get in all with install for about $400 and do a minimal install if you will be leaving soon.
A used inverter can be had for 4000 pesos, two new batteries for $130 dolares each with cables & a rack probably $140 dolares
It would power WiFi and one fan all day and night if that is all that is connected

Drperson

Sep 19, 2008
There are plenty of ads on Facebbook Market place.
I suggest a use (non-sinewave) inverter and 2 batteries. You could get in all with install for about $400 and do a minimal install if you will be leaving soon.
A used inverter can be had for 4000 pesos, two new batteries for $130 dolares each with cables & a rack probably $140 dolares
It would power WiFi and one fan all day and night if that is all that is connected
why do youn eed 2 batteries not one?

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
Just the modem, ok.
Correct, that was what the OP wrote in the quoted post (in addition to "charging some things")... Yes, with anything heavier, they do not last long and are not even (obviously) designed to last long, so your 20 minutes is a heavy overestimate there... Again, the user needs to check what device is good for what

ese tipo

Apr 12, 2019
why do youn eed 2 batteries not one?
You don't.you do however need at least 12 volts and being as how these batteries are 6 volts you need 2 to get 12 volts 6+6.Why 6 volt and not 12 couldn't tell you.My guess is that these at one time were the go to for golf carts ( may still be ) they pack a lot of energy and are pretty resilient with day to day charging and discharging and are designed for slow and steady use as opposed to automotive 12 volt batteries who's main purpose is a heavy current draw to start engine than relatively small draw once car is running.

Jan

Bronze
Jan 3, 2002
Santo Domingo Este
www.colonialzone-dr.com
Bad news. I had us$200 put away for this and planned on a few hundred more next month...but. I just realized my passport expired about 7 months ago so I have to use the savings for that. Always something. I did ask my neighbor how much they paid for theor 2 battery inversor and they said rd$26000 installed. So, guess after the passport and soon paying for server costs for website in a few months I'll look into it again. Thanks all for the ideas and help. So appreciate you DR1ers.

Jan

Bronze
Jan 3, 2002
Santo Domingo Este
www.colonialzone-dr.com
Correct, that was what the OP wrote in the quoted post (in addition to "charging some things")... Yes, with anything heavier, they do not last long and are not even (obviously) designed to last long, so your 20 minutes is a heavy overestimate there... Again, the user needs to check what device is good for what
And the UPS beeps. If it would run for at least 6 hours that constant beeping would drive me nuts.

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
It would be great if I understood just half of what you said. Lol. I didn't think it would.be so difficult to have a small fan to keep me from sweating to death and modem for internet so I can be connected with my kindle. I don't have a tv, air, nothing fancy. I do have a fridge but that's fine for a normal power outage. I have a computer that isn't needed if I can just have my kindle charged and maybe a little wifi.
We have two of these rechargable fans, they work pretty well and always take them with us on holidays.

Jan

Bronze
Jan 3, 2002
Santo Domingo Este
www.colonialzone-dr.com