praise of sosua

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Buying baked goods in Playero is best done in the early am. You would not be believe the disgusting people I have seen smelling and handling the baked goods. Playero has tongs and plastic paper for your selection but some choose not to use them. I am talking really foul here. Kept me from buying them anymore. The sort of person you do not to even stand close to in the check out line.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i also do not use tongs. i grab a bag they provide, open it up, grab a piece of pastry with it and close the bag. i do not "check" pastries by lovingly fondling them, i just grab one piece and that's it. but i imagine there are some folks who'd frab them with a foot if they could lift it up this high.

did not know steak tartare is pork. are you sure? i will ask next time i am there but i do not think i have ever knowingly eaten raw pork or chicken, that's not particularly safe meat.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
no no no.. the Germans do this think with MINCED Pork... its a delicacy at like the Oktoberfest also, with Onions.. on Bread .

Its raw Pork yet, but made under very strict conditions ... should be plenty of info about it online ..

ok , found a video, explains it .
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PydPpb95dKU

joe

Brain Donor!
Jan 12, 2016
Steak tartar is beef. A german spin on that is done with pork I've tasted it a few times.
Anyway check out Horst's place up in Los Castillo. All kinds of sausages, smoked beef and pork, liverwurst, wieners, coleslaw and even salamis. Don't go there when you're hungry unless you've got lots o cash. He'll come out, take your order then plunk down a huge sample tray. Don't get sucked in cause if you eat the samples he's hooked you and spend you will.

Drive the road from the highway straight up until you hit the only named street," Frankfurter", go figure, hang a right, go to the end till you hit the big pink building on the right.

Abuela

Bronze
May 13, 2006
Will only say one thing.....and I am not in Sosua much anymore.....but thanks, dv8. It's about time someone puts Sosua in perspective.

Even those who come for alternative activities enjoy the diversity of food options.

I wish someone would check on this....but somehow I think that the German butcher is also supplying Playero.

Lindsey

Yes they also supply Playero. In the parking lot there is a billboard stating this.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
thanks for the tip, joe, i will check horst next time i'm in sosua. i enjoy buying food more than clothing or shoes. :)

Astucia

Papa de Negrita
Oct 19, 2013
Joe is correct . Steak tartare is beef. But what they sell at Bavaria is definitely pork. It's a German thing. I just bought some today - and double-checked with them that it is pork. I've bought/ate it there for many years. And I'm still sitting up, taking nourishment. :classic:

Tom0910

Sep 28, 2015
Yes they also supply Playero. In the parking lot there is a billboard stating this.
It is possible that the German butcher does the butchering for Playero but the owners of Playero,the Valconi family,supplies the cattle for butchering as the family owns their own cattle ranch just outside Sosua.

Aug 21, 2007
It is possible that the German butcher does the butchering for Playero but the owners of Playero,the Valconi family,supplies the cattle for butchering as the family owns their own cattle ranch just outside Sosua.

Really? The cattle ranch on the way to Sabaneta?

Never knew. Thanks.

Lindsey

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
Steak tartar is beef. A german spin on that is done with pork I've tasted it a few times.
Anyway check out Horst's place up in Los Castillo. All kinds of sausages, smoked beef and pork, liverwurst, wieners, coleslaw and even salamis. Don't go there when you're hungry unless you've got lots o cash. He'll come out, take your order then plunk down a huge sample tray. Don't get sucked in cause if you eat the samples he's hooked you and spend you will.

Drive the road from the highway straight up until you hit the only named street," Frankfurter", go figure, hang a right, go to the end till you hit the big pink building on the right.

What road off the highway??
Bob K

joe

Brain Donor!
Jan 12, 2016
Head towards Puerto Plata from Sosua, drive through Sosua Abajo, drive over the bridge, still heading to PP on the highway, continue up the hill. At the top turn left off of the highway and take the road up until Frankfurter St. You are in Los Castillos.

sosuamatt

Bronze
Jul 29, 2013
For those of us that are not primarily there for the nightlife Sosua has many other hidden gems. Thanks for sharing dv8.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Anybody know if they have head cheese? I don't see it on their website.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
What's head cheese? I don't like the sound of that!

No, its not the same as schmegma :classic:

2q0kisj.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: