Prejudices against the Dominican accent

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Deep down I knew I found the previous video a little too quickly to be the right video. Lol

Here is the video where he clearly mentions the DR. Until now I thought he only made one video about this.

[video=youtube;ubFcReiopMU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubFcReiopMU[/video]

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
We have been a lot of times on Tenerife and we both find the resemblance with the DR very interesting. The use of the language of course, but even in their behaviour. We had a Gran Canarian family member, a "Canarian". That is different cook. His use of language is not as carribean as from the Tenerifians and is behaviour is somewhat "stiff", might be because he was in love.
But asking about the differences many Tenerifians say they are quiet different.
Now I havent been on the other islands (we still want to make el brinquito to el Hierro but never manage to get up at 6), it would be interesting to compare.
The point I am making is that among the islands there are differences. Watching tenerefian television is almost watching the dominican news.
We love Tenerife.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
We have been a lot of times on Tenerife and we both find the resemblance with the DR very interesting. The use of the language of course, but even in their behaviour. We had a Gran Canarian family member, a "Canarian". That is different cook. His use of language is not as carribean as from the Tenerifians and is behaviour is somewhat "stiff", might be because he was in love.
But asking about the differences many Tenerifians say they are quiet different.
Now I havent been on the other islands (we still want to make el brinquito to el Hierro but never manage to get up at 6), it would be interesting to compare.
The point I am making is that among the islands there are differences. Watching tenerefian television is almost watching the dominican news.
We love Tenerife.

I’ve done a lot of genealogical research on Mr AE’s family, and once I got back into the early 1800s and 1700s, everyone was from Tenerife. They all settled in the San Carlos sector of Santo Domingo......whose full name is San Carlos de Tenerife.

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
I’ve done a lot of genealogical research on Mr AE’s family, and once I got back into the early 1800s and 1700s, everyone was from Tenerife. They all settled in the San Carlos sector of Santo Domingo......whose full name is San Carlos de Tenerife.
That is interesting indeed.
I assume they are not black?

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
We have travelled throughout Europe, central and south America with quite a bit of time spent in various parts of Spain. At no time has my wife ever not been understood or fail to understand another person speaking Spanish. She has been mistaken as Colombian ( she did live there and was married to a Colombian many years ago) or Mexican.

Naked_Snake

Bronze
Sep 2, 2008

The people that have tested with AncestryDNA have the option of uploading their data to 23AndMe, so you can tell him to try it and see how they interpret his results, but I imagine they won't be different from mine on the European part (or most Domis, really), as in, having the bulk of our European ancestry come from Portugal, given that the Canary islands were mainly settled by them. If he grew up in San Carlos during the 50's/60's, chances are that mr. AE knows my parents, cuz the community was rather tight knit at the time.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
The people that have tested with AncestryDNA have the option of uploading their data to 23AndMe, so you can tell him to try it and see how they interpret his results, but I imagine they won't be different from mine on the European part (or most Domis, really), as in, having the bulk of our European ancestry come from Portugal, given that the Canary islands were mainly settled by them. If he grew up in San Carlos during the 50's/60's, chances are that mr. AE knows my parents, cuz the community was rather tight knit at the time.

His family left San Carlos in the 1800s. He was born on his grandparents farm, which Trujillo appropriated for his Féria in late 50s. Their farm began at Lincoln, from malecon to Independencia, ended at the Coca Cola factory. He used to climb trees and play where Centro de Los Heroes, lottery, the hospital, La Feria, immigration, congress, etc are today. If only Trujillo had been assassinated several years earlier........ he then grew up in Mata Hambre and Ensanche La Paz after the farm was taken.

P.S. His highest ethnicity is Portuguese, followed by Spain and France.