'Prescription' drugs

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
macocael said:
Ambre, both the DR and Haiti are registered as class 2 malaria risks, which is low. Highly unlikely you would need anti-malarials and even if you were to be in an area where malaria had appeared, there is still no need for the antimalarials. These are not drugs you want to be taking unless there is a high risk level.
I'm not sure what class 2 means, and maybe it was a typo when you included Haiti in the first sentence, but you can view all the malaria info for this area, in the following thread.
http://www.dr1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50830

ambre

Feb 2, 2006
Malaria Pills

Rick Snyder said:
Birth control pill are plentiful and if you are Dominican or have contact with one they can get them free from the hospital. Don't know why anyone would want a supply of malaria pills unless you are planning on living really close to or in Haiti.

Edited to add;

I would assume that malaria pills are available but I honestly don't know as this is one thing I have never checked on.

Rick

My boyfriend, who is in Peace Corps, lives outside of Bayaguana and takes a weekly malaria pill. I am going to join him - not sure if I am going to be living in SD or with him, but is it necessary to take Malaria pills in your opinion?

ambre

Feb 2, 2006
Thanks

Just read the thread about Malaria... I was just trying to be cautious. In reference to the Birth Control - not that you guys would know - but (as an American) can I easily buy this at the pharmacy and is it legit (ie same as I would get in the U.S.)?

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
ambre said:
My boyfriend, who is in Peace Corps, lives outside of Bayaguana and takes a weekly malaria pill. I am going to join him - not sure if I am going to be living in SD or with him, but is it necessary to take Malaria pills in your opinion?
Bayaguana is nowhere near the Haitian border, so to answer your question, no need for Malaria pills.

jrf

Bronze
Jan 9, 2005
Wow, thanks all. I am also spending a few days in Hait and have been there before.

If you are planning to go make sure that if you have any coneerns to get and take your meds ahead of time-almost a month, and as well after you have returned.

Thanks again.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
jrf said:
Wow, thanks all. I am also spending a few days in Hait and have been there before.

If you are planning to go make sure that if you have any coneerns to get and take your meds ahead of time-almost a month, and as well after you have returned.

Thanks again.
It's my understanding that Malaria pills are only so so effective, so when I went to Africa to sleep in the jungle, I brought along a mini screen tent. This is what I am calling it for lack of remembering what it was called, but it amounted to a device, with a frame like a tent, that you built up, inside your tent, and covered 2 people with mosquito netting, so as to avoid getting bit, and lowering the chances of getting Malaria.
Anyhow, the whole point of this long story is, that it was really small to travel with, and if you could get your hands on one at a camping supply store, it may be one of the best things you ever bought, considering how terrible Malaria can be, and it is very prevalent in Haiti.
I have heard of people who had Malaria, and had recurrances, years later, including going blind.
Personally, I would never go to Haiti, but if you have chosen to go, it may be a worthy investment to get one of these "screens".

jrf

Bronze
Jan 9, 2005
Rocky, (on a side note) the mosquito tent you speak of is saving a vast amount of lives in Africa now-amazing how such a small item can do that.

I will be staying with a family in Thomasique, and I do believe you are right about the medication being 'so so'. Actually even upon a few travels to the RD or other similiar malaria possible countries you don't really need the med's anymore.
Having said that-all that means is the effect the drug has in combating or preventing the chance of infection has done it's job.
It does not mean you won't get it. It only goes so far so hope no one gets any false sense of hope from a few pills.
Dangerous illness.
I only plan on drinking bottled water.
My concern is that they are wanting to kill a goat (a special meal and I am honoured apparently something usually done for weddings and such) and I do not want to offend anyone.
Well, long response, (had a few coffee's already and just love to use the ' ' quote thingy).

Where was I? oh well...

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
jrf said:
Rocky, (on a side note) the mosquito tent
That's it. That's what they called it. I just coudn't remember.
It was so easy to build, as well, as all the tubular bars were interconnected by a bungy cord type material, so there was no need to figure out where each piece went, it almost self assembled. When packed up, it was only 18 inches long, or so, and 3 inches in diameter, and lightweight as well.

jrf said:
I only plan on drinking bottled water.
and if you get yourself into a situation where you have to drink anything questionable, toss some lime juice in.
jrf said:
My concern is that they are wanting to kill a goat (a special meal and I am honoured apparently something usually done for weddings and such) and I do not want to offend anyone.
Perhaps after telling them about you being an active member of the "Sacred Church of Holy Sacrificial Goats" and that it is a mortal sin for you to ever eat the meat, they will understand, and let you off the hook.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
jrf said:
...My concern is that they are wanting to kill a goat (a special meal and I am honoured apparently something usually done for weddings and such) and I do not want to offend anyone. ...QUOTE]

Just say you are allergic to the stuff, that your face swells to twice its size, that your entire body breaks out in big red lumpy hives, that you have gone into severe anaphylactic shock just from the smell of the stuff. Say all this while keeping a big grin on your face. It'll do it every time, and nobody will get offended.

ambre

Feb 2, 2006
Rural Areas

Rocky said:
Bayaguana is nowhere near the Haitian border, so to answer your question, no need for Malaria pills.

I realize that Bayaguana is nowhere near Haiti, but on the CDC site, it says that those in rural areas of the DR are at risk for malaria... Now, as someone who has already had malaria twice, I really just want to be safe - but on the other hand, don't want to spend money needlessly on preventing something I will most not likely get. What do you all think?

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
ambre said:
I realize that Bayaguana is nowhere near Haiti, but on the CDC site, it says that those in rural areas of the DR are at risk for malaria... Now, as someone who has already had malaria twice, I really just want to be safe - but on the other hand, don't want to spend money needlessly on preventing something I will most not likely get. What do you all think?
I would think not, but I am very far from that area, and am relying simply on having never head of it around there.
Please do not put too much value on my opinion in this case.
If it were Sosua or Cabarete, that would be a different story.
Maybe one of our members lives in the area, and he/she could tell you for sure.

ambre

Feb 2, 2006
thanks anyways!

Rocky said:
I would think not, but I am very far from that area, and am relying simply on having never head of it around there.
Please do not put too much value on my opinion in this case.
If it were Sosua or Cabarete, that would be a different story.
Maybe one of our members lives in the area, and he/she could tell you for sure.

Yeah, I'm not so sure if anyone on here lives even close to Bayaguana (besides Los Hidalgos where Adam lives), I've asked several times and nada. I think I will opt for "splurging" the $160 on the malaria pills, maybe I can hock them if I end up not needing them!

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
tarrantino said:
Question? So if I needed Ventolin for asthma, I could get it from the farmacia without a prescription?

Bought it this morning from a farmacia without a prescription. Cost RD$343.0, about US$10.60

jrf

Bronze
Jan 9, 2005
What I have found is that the CDC seems to exagerate. A warning yes but always seems to be overdone.