Preserving Black American History In Samana NY Times

Naked_Snake

Bronze
Sep 2, 2008
I know, I was just remarking that those Aframs haven't been the only black Anglos here. I don't know if I mentioned this to you before, but Marcus Garvey's UNIA had a chapter here on this island too, and they were given a lot of pain by the US Marines when the entire island was under their occupation. It is an interesting chapter to study for sure.

Here is the doc, for those of you who can read in Spanish (on page 119): Clío No. 168

mofongoloco

Silver
Feb 7, 2013
while you are explaining all this, please explain why the only two places i have been able to buy janikekes are Samana and San Pedro....

They sell em boca chica too. or it is a false friend version of the same thing.

Those rhode island protestants.

jenmar237

Aug 8, 2017
thanks for the review. as for the johnny cakes, i have been to several towns all over the island, but have never seen them in any places beside Samana and San Pedro. then again, AE says they are all over the south coast, so that might explain San Pedro, for starters..

You can get these at most beaches in the DR, north or south. La Ensenada beach in PP sells yaniqueques.

barker1964

Silver
Apr 1, 2009
If they are from San Pedro or La Romana their English last names most likely arrived from the English Caribbean and not from USA.

If they are from the Puerto Plata or Santo Domingo areas there’s a greater chance it could be from the USA, but those places also received significant migration from the English Caribbean too.

English last names from the Cibao Valley or most places away from the coast are almost always of US origin.

The only place an English last name is almost certainly of US origin is in Samana because Cocolos never settled there, they did so wherever there’s sugar cane plantations.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samaná_Americans

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I know Samaná quite well. At least the Samaná of '68-'69 and into the 70s....I did my field work there for a Linguistics degree (MA) at UPR...studied the Samaná English....I know the older folks in the article, and in fact I interviewed several of them. The photo of Milton RAY Guevarra is interesting since his sister still lives there and used to rent me an apartment for weekends.

The photo of Miss Martha is so typical of the Samana blacks: Books in a bookcase. Something you very seldom see in a typical Dominican household. The Samaná high school used to be a major contributor to our student body--Milton Ray Guevarra did his law degree there along with many others..

I miss the old town. Only the AME and St. Peters survived the Balaguer =era urban renewal...a real shame...

HB