President Abinader: DR will not take part in military intervention in Haiti

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
But we know that the 200, or 1,000 Kenyans or even a few more mercenaries eventually maybe promised by other nations who might show up will be there to help the local police enforce the rule of law. Not to engage with the gangs by directly going after them. The gangs of course are panic struck by just the thought of these mercenaries showing up:p. It will be shock and awe for them because, well, you know, these mercenaries for 500 Million USD have great military training with "Real" military gear. Something I know squat about...

Well, then. After the gangs are gone without even engaging them, they will all need to be there for perhaps a hundred years or more to create a real government, establish schools that produce literate and trained effective workers, and establish major businesses that employ millions so that Haitians will want to stay in Haiti. All that would be needed for Haiti to be fixed, would it not?

What will almost certainly happen is the small groups of mercenaries will engage with gangs. People will be shot,. The mission, whatever it really is, will end badly in several months and people will try and find another fix to Haiti. I cannot predict the future, but that is what is the most likely outcome.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
But we know that the 200, or 1,000 Kenyans or even a few more mercenaries eventually maybe promised by other nations who might show up will be there to help the local police enforce the rule of law. Not to engage with the gangs by directly going after them. The gangs of course are panic struck by just the thought of these mercenaries showing up:p. It will be shock and awe for them because, well, you know, these mercenaries for 500 Million USD have great military training with "Real" military gear. Something I know squat about...

Well, then. After the gangs are gone without even engaging them, they will all need to be there for perhaps a hundred years or more to create a real government, establish schools that produce literate and trained effective workers, and establish major businesses that employ millions so that Haitians will want to stay in Haiti. All that would be needed for Haiti to be fixed, would it not?

What will almost certainly happen is the small groups of mercenaries will engage with gangs. People will be shot,. The mission, whatever it really is, will end badly in several months and people will try and find another fix to Haiti. I cannot predict the future, but that is what is the most likely outcome.
Unfortunately, you are correct. Haiti needs a benevolent dictator for a few years. A Mano Duro that is harsh on crime, but pro education, infrastructure development, health care.

Sunbiz1

Jul 29, 2013
Has the Dominican government finished(or working on finishing)the wall?.
For me, this isn't about keeping Haitians out of the DR; as I've employed them in Florida.
It's been my experience they are peaceful, and hard working.
My concern is; we don't know how this will play out in the coming years; and securing the border with
an unstable country seems a good idea.

Reactions: MoJoInDR

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
Unfortunately, you are correct. Haiti needs a benevolent dictator for a few years. A Mano Duro that is harsh on crime, but pro education, infrastructure development, health care.
What happens then after the benevolent dictator leaves? Back to the same as we know now?

Squat

Jan 1, 2002
Are the Haitians armed with RPGs, rockets, mortars, grenades and heavy machine guns supplied by the Russians and Chinese? No, Horrible analogy.
Yes, well in the 1960's, there were big-shot experts just like you who gave great advice about going to war in Vietnam, keep'em coming!

Squat

Jan 1, 2002
...the VietCong had and Hamas has political support. The Haitian gangs don’t and rely heavily on deadly force and death threats to survive. They’ve alienated a large part of the Haitian population.

The political support is critical because, without it, ideas, causes, crusades, don’t survive. ...
Did you ever wonder who is sending all those weapons to Port-au-Prince's slums? Who is paying for it? Did you consider the strategic importance of the cocaine route and the paramount influence of Colombian cartels in Haiti? This is their support, and it might not be legally political, but it's way more powerful.

Reactions: NanSanPedro

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
The topic is Haiti, not conflicts in other countries. Back on topic, please.

Reactions: JD Jones

MoJoInDR

Aug 23, 2023
Austin, Texas

To a point, I agree... Unfortunately, human history has proven that a "...benevolent dictator..." can sometimes turn into a not-so "...benevolent dictator..."... Especially when heading up an uneducated, divided population. And Haiti has had its share of initially "...benevolent dictator..." characters, which will make them gunshy of anyone seeming to want to be one.

What Haiti needs is a reset in vision that produces national submission to the proper leadership that can implement and carry out the goals of this vision... Which is not easy, and if it can happen, will certainly not happen overnight.

Education, infrastructure, and healthcare development are all fundamental needs... Just as business development, which includes growing the job market, is... And let's not forget national security... But this requires financial ability and environmental stability... Neither of which Haiti has at this time.

What are Haiti's available resources... It's with these inherent resources that any development will begin.

Tug7777

Mar 17, 2018
Im going to bet the USA going to sends a hospital ship to portau prince once the Kenyans take control !

Drperson

Sep 19, 2008
i suspect they are planning a blackrock type mercenary strike first to neutralize.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Windy, enough with the doom and gloom prediction and gloating about the presumed failure of the Kenyan force!
Another person that does not apparently want to expect the expected. Oh well. Fine. Let's see how long they last.