President Abinader promotes tourism in Miami; announces Planet Hollywood resort

Big

Apr 24, 2019
Back on topic, I do find it quite depressing that everything here is aimed at the pile-it-high and sell-it-cheap crowd. Lauding trashy developments like Planet Hollywood and Margaritaville just seems to underline the idea that the government wants high volume trashy tourism, nothing high-end. In sharp contrast to the offer from places like Antigua that definitely are only interested in people with lots of money.
damn, we agree' 'totally

Reactions: aarhus and Nadie21

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Back on topic, I do find it quite depressing that everything here is aimed at the pile-it-high and sell-it-cheap crowd. Lauding trashy developments like Planet Hollywood and Margaritaville just seems to underline the idea that the government wants high volume trashy tourism, nothing high-end. In sharp contrast to the offer from places like Antigua that definitely are only interested in people with lots of money.
Two points:

Revenue is in the volume. It is far easier to attract that level of tourist and the government obviously loves there entry/exit fees. Low hanging fruit which the DR has found easy to pick.

Trying to turn the DR from beer budget travelers to champagne tastes is far more challenging. The DR has a few such resorts like Amanara and I would guess Casa de Campo, but they will remain few, small, exclusive, and far between

Nadie21

Jun 3, 2021
Santa Clarita
I often read that some people are peeved that few of these new tourist attractions are not at Sosua or Puerto Plata or Cabarete. In some ways they should be happy because there is little joy living in an area that is overrun by tourists and tourist attractions. I certainly am finding that La Romana is far less pleasant to live in ,than it was pre Covid and I often think how much more pleasant Bavaro was when there were not those four wheel beach bikes roaring around and you could enjoy the peace and quiet of many beaches there. In a few years time Punta Cana /Bavaro will be like downtown Honolulu and that is horrible .When a country is so reliant on the tourist dollars, the citizens have to pay a nasty price.
Excuse Me….Honolulu is fabulous, magical, sane, clean, beautiful! When one arrives in Hawaii you arrive to the magnificent smell of orchids in the air. Sorry fella but you should not even say Punta Cana and Honolulu in the same breath.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Excuse Me….Honolulu is fabulous, magical, sane, clean, beautiful! When one arrives in Hawaii you arrive to the magnificent smell of orchids in the air. Sorry fella but you should not even say Punta Cana and Honolulu in the same breath.
What nasty price are the vast majority of citizens (who live in Santo Domingo and Santiago, not in Punta Cana nor other resort locations) paying for tourism? The revenue from AI resorts and Cruises is rather significant and without that revenue even less would be done regarding the DR's infrastructure.

Reactions: Yourmaninvegas

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
Nadie, if you reread my post, you will see that I was talking about downtown Honolulu and not the island of Oahu. . Hardly any resident in Oahu lives in downtown Honolulu which is wall to wall hotels,bars and amusement centres. Locals do not go there ..so unless tourists go to the other parts of the island,all they are likely to see in downtown Honolulu are other tourists

Reactions: JD Jones

Nadie21

Jun 3, 2021
Santa Clarita
Nadie, if you reread my post, you will see that I was talking about downtown Honolulu and not the island of Oahu. . Hardly any resident in Oahu lives in downtown Honolulu which is wall to wall hotels,bars and amusement centres. Locals do not go there ..so unless tourists go to the other parts of the island,all they are likely to see in downtown Honolulu are other tourists
Kipling..the island of Oahu stretches pretty far up to the North, South . Diamond Head, then up to Kahala, Kaulua etc…no where near Honolulu. The hotels stretching out along Waikiki Beach are all rather neatly aligned…but I do understand the point you are alluding to. My feeling now is that Bavaro/Punta Cana as it is being sliced, diced and chopped will never be close to reaching the heights of Honolulu Hawaii or for that matter Maui, Big Island of Hawaii, Kauai, Lanai. And the tourists walking along the walks in Honolulu just like tourists in any major hub.

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
The topic of this thread is NOT Hawaii!

Next off topic post earns a vacation and gets the thread locked.

aarhus

On vacation
Jun 10, 2008
I often read that some people are peeved that few of these new tourist attractions are not at Sosua or Puerto Plata or Cabarete. In some ways they should be happy because there is little joy living in an area that is overrun by tourists and tourist attractions. I certainly am finding that La Romana is far less pleasant to live in ,than it was pre Covid and I often think how much more pleasant Bavaro was when there were not those four wheel beach bikes roaring around and you could enjoy the peace and quiet of many beaches there. In a few years time Punta Cana /Bavaro will be like downtown Honolulu and that is horrible .When a country is so reliant on the tourist dollars, the citizens have to pay a nasty price.
That is how I feel about Las Terrenas

Feb 16, 2016
-
15% of GDP
The amount that tourism represents.
Not exactly an over reliance on tourism.
Just seems that way to some people.
Get familiar with the total economy of the Dominican Republic.
You might be surprised.
All jobs are good jobs when you have no job.