President Abinader wins reelection bid

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
Luis-Abinader-gana-elecciones-Diario-Libre-1024x683.jpg

With 94.53% of the votes counted, the JCE website as of 6am had reported that President Luis Abinader leads in the 19 May 2024 presidential polls with 57.16% of the vote. 2,365,408 persons voted for him in the Dominican Republic and abroad.

Former three-term President Leonel Fernandez followed with 29.33% of the vote, or 1,213,856 votes. Santiago mayor Abel Martinez was third with 10.21% of the vote or 422,377 voters.

Others running for President were:Roque Espaillat for Partido de la Esperanza Democrática 1.33%Carlos Peña, for Generación de Servidores, 0.64%Virginia Antares Rodriguez, for Opción Democrática, 0.57%Miguel Vargas for Partido Revolucionario Dominicano, 0.45%,María Teresa Cabrera for the Frente Amplio 0.14 %Fulgencio Severino, de Patria for Todos, 0.06%

In acknowledging victory with Vice President Raquel Peña, the President said he would not...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

Lucifer

Silver
Jun 26, 2012
When Lord Acton wrote to Bishop Creighton, he was mostly concerned with the power of the popes... and rulers, too.

With absolute power now, will president Abinader attempt to cajole his Congress to modify the Constitution, so that he can run again in '28?
If so, Carolina Mejía, David Collado, Faride Raful, Wellington Arnaud, and others will have to wait or jump ship.

Reactions: chico bill

Pikobello

Nov 12, 2020
Santo Domingo
When Lord Acton wrote to Bishop Creighton, he was mostly concerned with the power of the popes... and rulers, too.

With absolute power now, will president Abinader attempt to cajole his Congress to modify the Constitution, so that he can run again in '28?
If so, Carolina Mejía, David Collado, Faride Raful, Wellington Arnaud, and others will have to wait or jump ship.
No he doesn't, in his speak yesterday after winning the elections he told clearly that's his last run for president and will not be candidate in 2028.
Ahh,and something more, R.I.P. Miguel Vargas, you've done it and finished the PRD, bien hecho....and I'm very happy of this.

Reactions: Juan Bosch

aarhus

Gold
Jun 10, 2008

Is Faride Raful really a contender ? I like her and I think she is cute. Does Carolina Mejia want to. David Collado seems the most likely. I never heard of Wellington. Strange name for a Dominican

Lucifer

Silver
Jun 26, 2012
No he doesn't, in his speak yesterday after winning the elections he told clearly that's his last run for president and will not be candidate in 2028.
Ahh,and something more, R.I.P. Miguel Vargas, you've done it and finished the PRD, bien hecho....and I'm very happy of this.
I guess I was going by what others have done in the past, most notably Danilo Medina, who campaigned on the promise of just serving one term if elected in 2012. Then was reelected in '16, and if Mike Pompeo hadn't gotten involved, he would've have succeeded in changing the Constitution, in order to compete for a third term in '20.

aarhus

Gold
Jun 10, 2008
That Miguel Vargas is done is maybe the best news from this election

Reactions: Juan Bosch and Big

Lucifer

Silver
Jun 26, 2012
Is Faride Raful really a contender ? I like her and I think she is cute. Does Carolina Mejia want to. David Collado seems the most likely. I never heard of Wellington. Strange name for a Dominican
Wellington Arnaud will definitely be in the running, as well as Collado, Mejía, and Eduardo Sanz Lovatón (Yayo).

Omar is the future of the FP, and I believe that Abel will have to contend with Juan Ariel Jiménez for the PLD's candidacy in '28 and beyond.

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
So far today, I've had 3 different Haitians ask me who I voted for. When I tell them I can't vote because I'm not a citizen, they act surprised. Do Haitians think that the DR is an American territory?:eek:

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
How would the “donator” know that the vote really goes to who he paid for?
I remember reading here on DR1, during earlier elections, that sometimes the recipient of the thousand pesos is required to hand over his cédula. This prevents him from voting for the "wrong" candidate.

Reactions: Notengo

chico bill

On Vacation
May 6, 2016
I hope this means I can go back to playing my online dominoes on my phone without those asinine Abinader political popup ads after every hand

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Never heard of her:
iu

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
How would the “donator” know that the vote really goes to who he paid for?
When I voted I was looking around for someone to pay me. Nowhere to be found. I missed out.;

The actual process is a secret. They would never know.

Lucifer

Silver
Jun 26, 2012
Never heard of her:
iu
You gotta be joking. ¿En serio?

She's a well-known PRM leader... a former member of the lower chamber of Congress, and current Senator for the DN.
President Abinader asked her not to run for reelection, and allow Moreno to compete for the slot. However, he lost to Omar.

Had the PRM lent their support to Faride, she would've kept her seat.

Reactions: JD Jones and aarhus

aarhus

Gold
Jun 10, 2008

She's a well-known PRM leader... a former member of the lower chamber of Congress, and current Senator for the DN.
President Abinader asked her not to run for reelection, and allow Moreno to compete for the slot. However, he lost to Omar.

Would she have won against Omar Fernandez?

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com

plus she was on TV constantly with

Mariasela Álvarez​