President Luis Abinader announces expansion of Santo Domingo Metro, green light for mass transport to Los Alcarrizos

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
Metro-SD-Hoy.jpg

President Abinader took a ride on the Santo Domingo Metro and Ozama River skylift on Monday, 26 October 2020. He then announced the expansion of Line 1 (from Villa Mella to Centro de los Heroes) and Line 2 (from eastern Santo Domingo to Los Alcarrizos).

The government is counting on funding from the French development agency to also increase the number of cars on the popular mass transport lines. President Abinader said the plan is to double the capacity of the lines in the next four years.

He said studies are underway to decide whether his government will build a subway or monorail from Km 9 to Los Alcarrizos in northern Santo Domingo. He said the government would go ahead with the construction of the cable car connection as scheduled by the past administration.

He said the government is also studying the construction of a third Santo Domingo Metro line that would connect Santo Domingo...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

MiamiDRGuy

Bronze
May 19, 2013
I saw that but it's gotta be a typo :LOL:

And wasn't he proposing a train to Santiago?

Its not typo. I checked on hoy.com.do it states:

" The President of the Republic, Luis Abinader, reported today on the extension of lines I and II of the Santo Domingo Metro and the construction of the new line III, which would reach the Las Américas International Airport. "

That will be the best in my lifetime!! Taxi mafia wont be happy lol

Andre14615

Banned
May 31, 2019
Its not typo. I checked on hoy.com.do it states:

" The President of the Republic, Luis Abinader, reported today on the extension of lines I and II of the Santo Domingo Metro and the construction of the new line III, which would reach the Las Américas International Airport. "

That will be the best in my lifetime!! Taxi mafia wont be happy lol
The taxi mafia were already hurt by us going upstairs to use Uber but if this happens they're totally done.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
There's a little bit of confusion in that article-the cable car from Km 9 to Los Alcarrizos is what was originally planned if I'm not mistaken; I'm not sure why they would need a monorail too.