Prevalence of Skin Irritations in the D.R.?

Virgo

Bronze
Oct 26, 2013
Lucas61, we've had a home in DR about 35 years, and I've never had any skin issues there until this year either. In my case, it's not laundry detergent, bath soap, shampoo, etc., because I ship ours from the US. Our bodies change [my dad developed all sorts of skin issues after he was diagnosed with diabetes, for example], as does the environment.

Yes Virgo, 35 years. Things change.
Of course, they do.

You just don't blame the place where you've been living for years without issues. Whatever it is, the doctors will tell you, and point you in the right direction.

Good that you ship soap-related stuff from the US, so you know that is not the problem. I nevertheless suspect that the local manufacturers who make those products under license do an adequate job. If not, they'd lose the license (the original manufacturers don't want their rep degraded by sub-standard manufacturing by licensees).

rfp

Gold
Jul 5, 2010
OK The final word has been said. Thanks for setting things straight Virgo

rfp

Gold
Jul 5, 2010
There is no way any health issue could have environmental factors. He now knows to ask about further health issues at Nebraska1 where he lived 7 years before

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
There is no way any health issue could have environmental factors. He now knows to ask about further health issues at Nebraska1 where he lived 7 years before

This guy lives in your heads Rent Free simply ignore the buffoon!

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I, too, developed allergies later in life... goldenrod, etc.

Yes, Virgo, it is possible to skate thru 7 yrs unmolested...
as you say, much of the water is unregulated....
cows in the field will affect the run-off... maybe cows have just arrived in the 'hood !! ?? Huh?

any number of factors can affect this situation.
I wish things were as cut & dried as you suggest...

Maybe Global Warming is playing a part (Jk, JK)...

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
The doctors in the hospital in London told me that my fungal infection was from an airborn source and people usually pick it up in countries with a hot climate. I had my infection closely examined by microscope . I could have picked the infection up in Colombia or Costa Rica where I have visited but the odds are that I picked it up here in the DR where I live . And this was the first time in more than 15 years that I have had a skin problem ..I had one about 20 years ago but that was cleared up quickly . As I have said earlier ,it is best to let an experienced doctor advise you as to treatment . I am sorry to read the postings of Virgo that are way off the mark on this subject ...The doctors in London advised me to only wear cotton or linen underwear .

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
After swimming in El Choro de Jamao I was diagnosed with primary seborrhea and suffered with an itchy elbow for close to 3 weeks before being treated by a dermatologist.
Seborrhea is normally found in the equine family of animals, however, my doctor informs me that I may have gotten riding bareback or from horses wading across the river on a hot day.

I am good as new after liberal application of Triamcinolone Acetonide and miel therapy.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
everybody sit back and wait...

one day our boy Virgo will be asking for a cure.....
body lice (crabs) or some other minor skin irritation

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Bedbugs in DR?
Virgo, please answer this one. Gracias................

there are no bed bugs here, FALSE accusations and VILE generalizations again. where are the mods? why is this ALLOWED here? if you think there are bedbugs in DR, which is NOT true then why are you even here? it's very telling and it tells a LOT about your true bedbug nature. such LITIGIOUS posts should never be allowed.

Hector L

Jun 11, 2010
It is normal that as we age, we are prone to more skin irritations. I was crushed when I visited the Dermatoligist and he said it was simply an age related irritation. He gave me a mild ointment and advised using soap for sensitive skin and lower the temperatures of the water during my showers.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I know the feeling..
my recent skin issues (melanoma) was discovered during a routine dermatology visit...

and the removal of what are called - 'senile moles'

Just shoot me now - senile moles..... give me a break

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
Moved to the Campo 11 months ago, since moving here my hair has fallen out, my nails have turned green, can only see out of 1 eye, and I can no longer get an erection.
Other than this, everything is fine. I complained about the water to my 2 blind neighbors sharing a wheelchair and they told me, don't worry about it, you'll get used to it, we did............:confused:

Virgo, you're up.......