price of kilowatt per hour (kWh)

Feb 7, 2007
You may want to try setting your A/C at a higher setting. I always have mine at 26C. Not enough to feel cold, but it gets rid of the heat.

If you're one of those folks that turns the A/C on high, at it's lowest temperature so you can live in an icebox, the new rates are going to crucify you.

OK, now THIS stuff doesn't work for ME.

JD what would you make of this: ??

One of my electric meters (I can switch between them) is analogue (with the needle and wheel).

I have measured with stopwatch (spent 1 hour doing that today) settings at 16?C, 21?C and 26?C, also fan blower at 1 (lowest) and 3(highest) and I really DO NOT see the difference. all the measurements are coming at about 17.2 seconds per revolution (or in other words about 3.5 rpm).

I think I did quite precise measurement, looking always from the specific and exact point, with a masking tape in the center of the meter screen, and looking with one eye.

My AC is Nedoca, about 3 years old.

(btw the consumption measured is below the consumption indicated on the compressor by about 15%)

...so... what would be the explanation that the consumption is running about the same for all temperatures and fan settings?

laurajane

Bronze
May 23, 2005
www.thecircusofdreams.com
I've got you all beat here in Santo Domingo. Up until May I was paying around $1,500. For the month of May, I got a bill for $3,000. I didn't think too much of it because I knew the rates had gone up.

I just received my bill for June: $8,243!! There are only 2 of us in the house- they claim we used 900 kW. Going to call Edesur now, but I doubt they'll do anything.

I just had the same 900KW and 8,000 pesos!! Are bill used to be approx 2,000 a month and we se more or less the same, we havent added an appliance.

I am going to really start writing down my own readings!!

TheHun

May 4, 2008
I just had the same 900KW and 8,000 pesos!! Are bill used to be approx 2,000 a month and we se more or less the same, we havent added an appliance.

Welcome to the club! Believe me, I do understand your frustration. I don't know what the hell is going on. I even hired electrician to check everything in the house to see if one of the appliance or perhaps the inversor is bad. He said all are working in order.
Now my bill will be around 10,000 instead of the regular 2000 - beside the 19,000 fine, that they want me to pay. And my usage keep increasing since April and who knows when to stop??
Did EN invented some new way to ef up gringos?
Should we collectively hire some haitian woodoo performer to against them?? I don't think there is any other way...

The Hun

InsanelyOne

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
It's nice to see I'm not the only one suffering issues with electricity. I've been in the DR just over 2 months. Our first bill was over 16,000 pesos (1600 KwH) and our second one was just over 13,000 (1300 KwH). I'm on the east coast, CEPM charges just over 10 pesos per KwH.
I know there must be something wrong, there are only two of us in the condo, we only use a single 12,000 BTU A/C unit in the bedroom for 5 hours per night (it's on a timer). We have one fan the is running 24 hrs/day. Other than that we have 2 computers, a fridge, and the TV. That's it! How on earth can we be using that much electricity? We have a digital meter and the weird thing is that it shows we are using 8.00 Kw of electricity all the time. It never changes.... even when I switch of all the circuit breakers. I think the meter must be busted. I went to CEPM last weekend and supposedly someone is going to come out this week to take a look at it.

Feb 7, 2007
JD I read the meter every day ... that's not problem. My consumption is low because I put timer on AC and that's it. If (rarely) I wake up at night, I just put another half-hour timer on it. When I am working at home, these hot months, I consume about 5-10 kwh on average per day (18000 BTU).

What I thought was that the compressor consumes less if it cools less (e.g. blowing 78 degrees F air instead of 60 degrees F air) ... apparently it consumes the same regardless of the temperature, and the savings comes from compressor cycling off.

NOW, the question is, why would AC allow changing temperature in cool-only mode (as opposed to Smartsaver mode). My AC has several modes, one is smartsaver mode, where the compressor cycless off after reaching the ambient temperature level, and the other mode is cool-only mode where it is just blowing and blowing the air - at the temperature you select - so if the compressor consumes the same amount of kw while blowing 60 F air and 78 F air in cool-and-blow mode, why would anybody select blowing warmer air instead of just cooler air? (I hope you got what I meant).

Feb 7, 2007

Laura... your problem may be the damaged AC - you have to run it at FULL to get SOME cooling, so the compressor is running wild...and sucks the juice like crazy.

After you move, if you need the second meter for just AC let me know, I have connection here to the "approval" guy.

Feb 7, 2007
It's nice to see I'm not the only one suffering issues with electricity. I've been in the DR just over 2 months. Our first bill was over 16,000 pesos (1600 KwH) and our second one was just over 13,000 (1300 KwH). I'm on the east coast, CEPM charges just over 10 pesos per KwH.
I know there must be something wrong, there are only two of us in the condo, we only use a single 12,000 BTU A/C unit in the bedroom for 5 hours per night (it's on a timer). We have one fan the is running 24 hrs/day. Other than that we have 2 computers, a fridge, and the TV. That's it! How on earth can we be using that much electricity? We have a digital meter and the weird thing is that it shows we are using 8.00 Kw of electricity all the time. It never changes.... even when I switch of all the circuit breakers. I think the meter must be busted. I went to CEPM last weekend and supposedly someone is going to come out this week to take a look at it.

12.000 BTU air @ 1200W @ 5 hrs = 6 kwh per day
Fridge @ 24 hrs @ 150W average (regular fridge) = 3.6 kwh
fan @ 24 hrs @ 100W (stand fan, not a ceiling fan - ceiling fan - double) = 2.4 kwh
TV @ 8 hrs @ 150W average (regular TV) = 1.2 kwh
Computer @ 2 @ 8 hrs @ 200W = 3.2 kwh
TOTAL daily: 16.4 kwh
overage: 20%
Total: 19.68 =~= 20 kwh per day
@ 30 days = 600 kWH

You should be consuming about 600 kwh per month given your consumption and appliances.

InsanelyOne

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
12.000 BTU air @ 1200W @ 5 hrs = 6 kwh per day
Fridge @ 24 hrs @ 150W average (regular fridge) = 3.6 kwh
fan @ 24 hrs @ 100W (stand fan, not a ceiling fan - ceiling fan - double) = 2.4 kwh
TV @ 8 hrs @ 150W average (regular TV) = 1.2 kwh
Computer @ 2 @ 8 hrs @ 200W = 3.2 kwh
TOTAL daily: 16.4 kwh
overage: 20%
Total: 19.68 =~= 20 kwh per day
@ 30 days = 600 kWH

You should be consuming about 600 kwh per month given your consumption and appliances.

Wow... thanks for the breakdown. That's an eye-opener. Based on my observations (I check the meter now almost every day) I'm using between 40-50 KwH per day. Or should I say, someone is using that much. It's certainly not all from me. I do hope the CPEM people show up soon and fix this.