private schools in DR

AtlantaBob

Jan 2, 2002
Trivalent,

I graduated from ALS also. But, of course, back then it only went up to the eigth grade. Did you say you graduated from high school there? Is that the one in Central Romana?

Trivalent

Jan 31, 2002
Re: Atlanta Bob

Yes, this is the Central Romana School.

I graduated in 1986. Let's see if I can get this right...
We were the third or fourth high school graduating class. We were the last class to have the eigth grade graduation ceremony which was a big deal back then for reasons you point out.

Today they are still K-12. My brother and sister graduated from there also.

Trivalent

Last edited:

zee

Apr 3, 2002
I've been living in La Vega, DR for a year now. My son attends a private bilingual school here and I am concerned about the amount of education he is receiving, seems too easy. When we lived in the states he attended a public school but I noticed that the education was more demanding and advanced than here in La Vega, I don't know about the rest of the country.

I have considered home schooling but I just don't know how or if I should do it. The school is the most expensive private school here in La Vega but I just don't feel that my son is receiving enough education, in other words I don't hear of any special projects or other educational activities that I was used to seeing him participate in when he was being educated in the U.S.

Well, can any one offer any advice. My greatest concern is that if I ever have to move back to the states I just don't want him to be left behind a grade cause of the lack of education he received here.

Thanks.

lhtown

Jan 8, 2002
www.abeka.com for Abeka Books
www.aop.com for Alpha Omega Curriculum
These names and others including the curriculum put out by Bob Jones University are household names among evangelical Christians and even non-Christians who choose to home school their children. Abeka offers a very popular and extremely thorough video curriculum(they also sell the same books without the videos). I myself had the video course at home for my junior year of highschool. My only complaint is that perhaps it is TOO thorough. Also, it is a bit expensive compared to other curriculums. Note: Homeschooling in any form requires discipline on the part of the parent.

Last edited:

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Trivalent You are so right about ALS, which in spite of its name is British oriented-never knw why. that is one heck of a school, but then with the resources of Central Romana in back, why not.

Mondongo Yes the SATs and GREs are administered here by the Dominico-Americano.

For me, it seems that everyone thinks that every student is entitled to a college education. The USAD has over 100,000 "students" that are 95% worthless, perhaps more!.
There are too many so-called universities with part time staff, no libraries, computer centers, true administrators and other infra-structure. They are literally selling degrees.

What makes it worse is that the better schools, PUCMM, INTEC, UNPHU and APEC have to compete with these shops to get students. They have to find the resources to provide services, grant student loans and deal with the scholarship of the students. The shops don't have this porblem.

IF there was true academia a lot of this would not go on, but the country does not have a culture that values the mid level, dirty hands type of labor. That is why there are so few electricians, carpenters, plumbers or mechanics....Those that do triumph are self taught and not really that good. They can't read or write. This is why when a Robles opens a shop in Santo Domingo they can charge what they want, because they fix it once and it works....Of course they can read and write...hehehe

So the vast majority of schools take the money and push out the students.

HB