Private taxi from POP airport to Jarabacoa, price?

jollyroger

Nov 3, 2019
Hi

Private taxi from POP airport to Jarabacoa, does anyone know the approximate price?

Last edited by a moderator:

BermudaRum

Bronze
Oct 9, 2007
OP, if you are traveling alone you could also take from POP airport a regular taxi and pay the US$25 to Caribe Tours in Charamicos in Sosua . Or I believe for an extra $15 the taxi can go to the Puerto Plata Caribe Tours station instead of Sosua, which saves you some traveling time. The bus leaves every hour and you pay less than $4. for the fare to Santiago, In Santiago get off at the 2nd station, and get a UBER to Jarabacoa for $25 (1400 pesos).

So if you want to save some dollars without really adding any extra time one way POP to Jarabacoa, you may want to consider taxi, bus, and Uber for approx. $70 vs $250.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
And if you have more time and are cheap you can take the gua-gua ( which are airconditioned vans) from Santiago to La Vega, then another gua-gua to Jarabacoa from La Vega. I believe it is around 300 pesos for each.

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
I'm amazed this is so expensive. From Santo Domingo to Cabarete they charge US$200, which is a far longer journey. Can some of our Puerto Plata peeps recommend a taxi driver they use?

Reactions: cavok

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I'm amazed this is so expensive. From Santo Domingo to Cabarete they charge US$200, which is a far longer journey. Can some of our Puerto Plata peeps recommend a taxi driver they use?
Out of curiosity, have you ever made the trip to Jarabacoa MR? That's a pretty long drive going up a mountain.

My 4 cylinder diesel sips fuel but that trip puts a big dent in my supply.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Out of curiosity, have you ever made the trip to Jarabacoa MR? That's a pretty long drive going up a mountain.

Grand total of 26 kilometers from La Vega to Jarabacoa, takes about 30 minutes, sometimes more or less depending on how many big trucks are on the road. Yes it is steep and curvy in places.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Grand total of 26 kilometers from La Vega to Jarabacoa, takes about 30 minutes, sometimes more or less depending on how many big trucks are on the road. Yes it is steep and curvy in places.
What you call steep and curvy is more like downright dangerous.
Been a few years but it was scary when you added reckless driving to the terrain.
It is the blind corners and drop offs capital of the country.

So it has not been improved?
Road like that good for keeping down the riff raff,

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019

Yes I've done it lots of times, I had a good friend who lived in Jarabacoa and stayed with her many times. I still think POP to Jarabacoa has got to be faster than POP to the capital.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Been a few years but it was scary when you added reckless driving to the terrain.

The road itself is easy to drive, and most of it isn't dangerous, just the first 2 or 3 kilometers and only because of the impatient idiots and trucks with bad brakes.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com

DR Solar

Bronze
Nov 21, 2016

We would go up yearly for the Paso Fino horse show. Lots of rigs bringing in rather expensive hourses. They eventually didn't have a problem. We also would trailer our 2 horses up. Never found it scary at all. Even while passing a slow truck.

Reactions: AlaPlaya