PRM sweeps municipal elections

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
It does not matter what government is in place anywhere regarding the corruption that will happen due to drug trafficking.
There is just so much money to be made. The temptation is overwhelming as we see in the news weekly.

I tend to disagree. People I know who work in government departments at a lower level tell stories of entire departments being frog-marched out of the building, police coming in an arresting people at their desks, honestly people who work for government are scared of being involved in corruption. Which is very very different from how things used to be.

And the very fact that newspapers feel confident to report things that someone would literally have been shot for reporting (ie. Nuria's father) not so long ago shows that the tide is turning.

The drug trafficking is very very discretely done let's face it. And the kind of people who traffic 500 tons of drugs per year like everything to appear squeaky clean from the outside, nothing to see here, move on move on.

Reactions: JD Jones

aarhus

www.johnboyter.com
Jun 10, 2008
Or perhaps they've figured out that no matter who wins, it doesn't matter, their life won't improve much just because this candidate wins over that one, so why bother?
Thats similar to what I think about it

Reactions: Kricke87

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
Thats similar to what I think about it

I can't see how all of you guys live in DR and haven't noticed the dramatic changes that have taken place since Abinader's been running the show. I guess it must depend on how much you interact with government but trust me it is a different country now.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I can't see how all of you guys live in DR and haven't noticed the dramatic changes that have taken place since Abinader's been running the show. I guess it must depend on how much you interact with government but trust me it is a different country now.
He is a complete 180 from what politics and running the country has always been. Just about anyone will tell you that.

JDFriend

the Translator
May 15, 2007
I'm wondering if Abel just did this as a trial balloon. His chances were always slim to none. But now the entire country knows who he is. I don't know how old he is but something tells me he's really shooting for 2028.
Not sure about Abel for 2028. I think that PLD has him there this time - on a temp basis - because they have someone else getting ready for 2028.

aarhus

www.johnboyter.com
Jun 10, 2008
A company I was trying to close and get a so called “Cese Definitiva” a “disolución” was finally closed recently. So that was a positive. Was ridiculous having to keep reporting Itbis in zero. Not anymore. It was a foreign company I had registered to operate in the DR. I still have a local Dominican company an SRL me with 51% and my partner 49% which I am quite pleased with now. So who knows maybe that was part of that change. It seemed stupid them asking for the same documentation over and over. Maybe someone decided to cut that red tape.

Kricke87

Feb 16, 2021
Sosúa
Yeah sure, less poverty, more housing, fewer road accidents, less crime, less instability, better and more consistent use of local resources such as electricity and water......

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
Yeah sure, less poverty, more housing, fewer road accidents, less crime, less instability, better and more consistent use of local resources such as electricity and water......
I'm glad some folks see the improvement.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Surely you are being sarcastic. I observe more drugs, more crime, worse electricity, no change in water service, more garbage. I would agree that there is the appearance of less poverty, but that may be an illusion.

• Haha
Reactions: Kricke87

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
Surely you are being sarcastic. I observe more drugs, more crime, worse electricity, no change in water service, more garbage. I would agree that there is the appearance of less poverty, but that may be an illusion.
I would absolve Luis of the garbage problem, that is or at least should be a local issue. From what I've seen, there are some cities much cleaner than others.

But on the water and the electricity issues you're spot on. Gratefully we're on a deep well so we are not affected. But from what I read on DR1, water up north is a big problem. Also, the few times I've been to a hotel up north there are posted warnings to not waste the water.

Luis ran on combining the EDEs and that isn't going to happen. I don't know why. I also can't understand why there are so many problems with the capital, Boca Chica, and up north and yet San Cristobal is doing great. Right now in Boca Chica if I use the electric coffee pot the lights dim. The microwave has become usesless.

Relative to drugs, sure that's national but as Windy has stated 3,209,901 times, there's too much money to be made to eradicate it. I can't see Luis ever solving that problem.

Reactions: aarhus

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Luis ran on combining the EDEs and that isn't going to happen. I don't know why. I also can't understand why there are so many problems with the capital, Boca Chica, and up north and yet San Cristobal is doing great. Right now in Boca Chica if I use the electric coffee pot the lights dim. The microwave has become usesless.

Sounds like you need a voltage regulator. Initially we had a portable one, about the size of a shoe box, you plug it into a socket and then the appliance into it. We used it for our washing machine and microwave. We eventually had an electrician install a whole house voltage regulator, they call them cebolla (onion) in DR. Not that expensive. Made a tremendous difference.

Kricke87

Feb 16, 2021
Sosúa
Of course I'm being sarcastig. Perhaps there has been some improvements in how the government is run, perhaps less corruptions in some part of the government. However, I don't think that people in general does care that much, as long as things around them are working. And although obviously Luis is not to blame for everything around, but I cannot say that since he came into office the country has changed to the better, not for me or anyone else I know. Rather the contrary, the more important things in people's lives have become even worse.
Yes the apperance of less poverty, because there are more constructions going on, because that's what the current goverment is promoting, but does it enrich the general public or just international investors/dominicans living abroad/ the top layer of society? I would guess the latter. So just like everywhere else, the rich are getting richer and the poor poorer...

Reactions: aarhus and drstock

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
Once more I think Santo Domingo is a different world to the rest of the city. Wages have gone up a lot in SD, US$ 1,000 a month is now a pretty normal salary whereas before it was considered a big salary. The rise and rise and rise of the middle class is really evident. Just go to Sambil at a weekend and look at how many ordinary families are packing out the food court (and it's not cheap there) or any of the kids activities like Summit (which clocks in at about RD$ 1,000 per kid, so again isn't very cheap). The restaurants are full of ordinary Dominicans. The supermarkets are heaving. We don't have police doing roadblocks to get money any more, and I think there has honestly been a slight improvement in driving standards. The main thing I notice however is that when dealing with government everything is a little quicker and a little slicker. And regarding trash, I am seeing a lot more effort to clean up. The Malecon and the Colonial Zone are being litter-picked often. Yes I know things are a little different in the barrios and in SD Este, but the Distrito Nacional is starting to feel almost civilised. Almost.

Reactions: NanSanPedro

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
Here is something that needs some attention, something that slipped through Luis's fingers:

OAS Mission observed that of 19,465 candidates, only 3 presented financial reports to the JCE​

By We are Pueblo Media

February 22, 2024
https://www.facebook.com/sharer.php...presentaron-informes-financieros-ante-la-jce/

The Observer Mission of the Organization of American States (OAS) recommends that the Central Electoral Board (JCE) demand that political parties comply with the mandates of the Electoral Law, to present reports of campaign income and expenses, before and after The elections.
He indicated that four days before the elections, of the 19,465 candidates, only three presented reports on the platform of the Integrated Electoral Financial Supervision System (SIFE), which the JCE made available to political parties, given that its use is mandatory for the recording of income and expense operations.

“The Mission learned that four days before the elections (February 14, 2024), of the 19,465 candidates, only 842 users had been generated on the platform, and there were only reports of three candidates. This lack of information makes it impossible for the JCE to adequately supervise and the social control that citizens and civil society organizations can exercise over the real expenses of the parties and candidacies.”
Source: Listin Diario

• Wow
Reactions: drstock