Problematic divorce

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
That may be...but there will always be doubts about her husband in the minds of his friends, whether they tell him or not. With most Dominicans, you only need to plant the idea of the "possibility" in their heads and they run with that themselves. They may not say anything directly to him but they will act differently and there will be "colorful" conversations about him when he is not around......

SHALENA

Yeah, that's exactly why the pajaro better run fast; The guy will want to strangle him!

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
I need help because I am very lost. I am a canadian woman married to a dominican since July 2009. I live in Canada and I was coming 2 times a year for very long stay in DR.

During 4 years, by means of numerous subterfuges he hid me his very active doublelife and he maintained multiple and ceaseless relations with other local and foreign women. Furthermore, in the duration of our marriage, he had a child who is borned in July 2011, with a local woman. I know
I did a big mistake: to believe and trust him, but it's too late for regrets.

I want to get a divorce, but there is a problem. We are both partners 50/50 in a business in DR and of course I did the majors investments to start the business.

Not sure if you are both now living in Canada or just you but here is a quote from our resident DR lawyer.

If you are getting married in the Dominican Republic, the separate property agreement must be prepared by a Dominican Notary BEFORE the marriage (that’s why it’s called a “prenuptial” agreement) and handed over to the Civil Registry Officer (“Oficial de Estado Civil”) at the marriage.
I am assuming that you’ll want the agreement to be enforceable in the Dominican Republic. If you don’t care about this but are only interested in its validity in your home country, then you’ll have to consult an attorney from home.

The prenuptial agreement is as simple or as complicated as the future spouses want it to be. A straight separation agreement is a very simple document. It will state in legal terms that whatever a spouse acquired before or during marriage will belong to him/her exclusively and that assets in a spouse’s name belong to that spouse exclusively.

If the spouses do not sign a prenuptial, their assets are governed by the community-property provisions of the Civil Code (Articles 1400 to 1496). Spouses are 50-50 owners of all matrimonial assets. These assets consist of the following:

1) All moveable properties (in essence, everything but real estate) belonging to either spouse at the time of the marriage or acquired by either of them during marriage, even by inheritance or gift unless the testator or donor has expressed otherwise.

2) All income from properties belonging exclusively for whatever reason to either spouse.

3) All immovable properties (real estate) acquired by either spouse during marriage.

To translate this into simple terms, without a “prenup,” whatever money, stocks, bonds, vehicles, credits, etc. (everything but real estate) you may have on the day of the marriage, is split 50-50 with your spouse when you say “yes, I do”. If your parents leave you $1,000,000 in their will and they do not expressly or implicitly state that this is for you alone, and not for your spouse, then your spouse will get 50%. (Fifteen years ago, I actually dealt with a case like this involving an American couple living in the DR).

You may ask why this is so. The answer is that we are, I believe, the only country in the world still governed by the original provisions of the Napoleonic Code, which dates from 1804, a time when wealth was almost exclusively “immovable”, i.e., real estate, and therefore it was not considered of importance that all “moveables” be part of the matrimonial community. In France, the code was amended a long time ago to include only properties acquired during marriage as community property.

Good luck

Last edited: