Problems with SKYPE

Bred

Bronze
Aug 13, 2006
Sosua
Why Skype???

Please, forgive my ignorance. Why people like Skype so much, or should I say - addicted to Skype? I tried a bunch of different internet soft phones including Skype. I never liked Skype and their prices and particularly the way they use your computer and internet connection (when you even do not make calls). I stopped using them immediately after they started to charge connection fees. How much people are spending these days for Skype calls, average per month? I am not talking user-to-user. I make most of my calls to regular phones. An average I make 3 to 5 hrs of internationals calls every week. I am paying EUR 5 or approximately US$ 7 every 3 months to keep my voipcheap account alive and I do not pay any per minute rates or connection fees. They do have a limit - 300 free minutes every week to "free destinations", which is more than I need. Sometimes I make calls to "not-free destinations" and that is when I use my account balance. Those "not free destinations" are alway cheaper than what people pay for Skype calls. Every 3 months I top up my account with EUR 5, unused balance is accumulating. If you don't use it up in 3 months it will be transferred to the next 3 month period as long as I do not forget to re-fill my account. This thing uses SIP protocol (unlike Skype) which means I can also use a SIP phone or SIP adapter and use it with a normal wired or wireless phone without carrying a computer around.

Oh. Usual disclaimer - I do not work for them and neither I make any money for recommending their services. I am just a VERY satisfied customer. I have been using them for about 2 years now. Who knows, may be one day they will also have problems like Skype these days. But so far I did not experience any problems with them.

KeithF

Jul 9, 2006
www.cabarete.org
Personally, there are two reasons why I'm a Skype user.

Firstly, most of my Skype calls are to other Skype users. I only put a top up on annually (?10 lasts a year).

Secondly, I think what you are suggesting is like the old video argument of Betamax v VHS, where Betamax was the better quality but VHS was better marketed and eventually reached a tipping point, where people knew Betamax was better but most people you knew had VHS so if you were buying a recorder and might want to swap tapes, you bought VHS too.

All the people I tend to call use Skype, so I use Skype.

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
Addicted to Skype, I don't think so....

Please, forgive my ignorance. Why people like Skype so much, or should I say - addicted to Skype? I tried a bunch of different internet soft phones including Skype. I never liked Skype and their prices and particularly the way they use your computer and internet connection (when you even do not make calls). I stopped using them immediately after they started to charge connection fees. How much people are spending these days for Skype calls, average per month? I am not talking user-to-user. I make most of my calls to regular phones. An average I make 3 to 5 hrs of internationals calls every week. I am paying EUR 5 or approximately US$ 7 every 3 months to keep my voipcheap account alive and I do not pay any per minute rates or connection fees. They do have a limit - 300 free minutes every week to "free destinations", which is more than I need. Sometimes I make calls to "not-free destinations" and that is when I use my account balance. Those "not free destinations" are alway cheaper than what people pay for Skype calls. Every 3 months I top up my account with EUR 5, unused balance is accumulating. If you don't use it up in 3 months it will be transferred to the next 3 month period as long as I do not forget to re-fill my account. This thing uses SIP protocol (unlike Skype) which means I can also use a SIP phone or SIP adapter and use it with a normal wired or wireless phone without carrying a computer around.

Oh. Usual disclaimer - I do not work for them and neither I make any money for recommending their services. I am just a VERY satisfied customer. I have been using them for about 2 years now. Who knows, may be one day they will also have problems like Skype these days. But so far I did not experience any problems with them.

Perhaps you have the time to source the best you need around the internet and have discovered something better than Skype for your own needs. Although I live permanently in the DR, I am able to reguarly contact my family in the UK via Skype to Skype or to UK landlines for 1p a minute - that satisfies all my needs and I am happy with it. I would also add that the quality of Skype calls has improved 100% in the past 12 months in my experience. My Skypein number is also my landline telephone here and works perfectly well so I have no reason to "knock" Skype.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
Ive also found it great, but I dont understand why some of you are paying for Skype calls, is it because you are calling celphone numbers? Normally its a free service

Skype and similar services offer free calls only from computer to computer.
For about USD 30.00 a year, skype offers USA users unlimited free calls from their computer to US land lines (but only calls also originating from US ISP to US land lines). Other similar providers may or not offer similar deals.
Skype and many of it's competitors offer very cheap rates to land lines in most developed countries and also cellular in the USA. Rates to exotic countries are more expensive. It does in those cases not mater where you call from with your computer. So for most calling outside the DR, these rates are very competitive when compared to calling with a regular phone.

... J-D.

Ladybird

Bronze
Dec 15, 2003
dreamteamdownloads1.com
Thanks JD, any idea how many minutes they give you for $10 for example to call a celphone in another country, eg, UK, from the DR. Ive tried their website for this info without success

Steve Costa Azul

I love Rocky's Ribs!
Jul 15, 2006
Thanks JD, any idea how many minutes they give you for $10 for example to call a celphone in another country, eg, UK, from the DR. Ive tried their website for this info without success

I used skype to day from Toronto to the DR and it was the best connection ever!
Ladybird, keep in mind, I bought skype credit a couple of months ago, so I could speak with the Dominican who lives in my house when I am not there, which is 90% of the time and much to my surprise, skype doesn't let me call the cell area code which is 829! Just suggesting that you check before buying credit, like I should have.:ermm:
I still have enjoyed skype and saved a ton, overall! Long live skype and free to air satellite!!
Steve

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006

Cost to an Orange cellphone (in my language a mobile phone :cheeky:) in the UK is just over 25 cents per minute. Cost to landlines is approx 2 cents. Obviously computer to computer is FREE hehehehe

Ladybird

Bronze
Dec 15, 2003
dreamteamdownloads1.com
I used skype to day from Toronto to the DR and it was the best connection ever!
Ladybird, keep in mind, I bought skype credit a couple of months ago, so I could speak with the Dominican who lives in my house when I am not there, which is 90% of the time and much to my surprise, skype doesn't let me call the cell area code which is 829! Just suggesting that you check before buying credit, like I should have.:ermm:
I still have enjoyed skype and saved a ton, overall! Long live skype and free to air satellite!!
Steve

Thanks Steve, yes I knew about the 829 code, Skype is not the only service that doesnt recognize this code for the DR, is it something to do with it not listed in some USA info packs for the DR?? as the internatonal primary code for the DR is the same as for USA Skype has certainly grown, I saw today on a news medium it now has over 80 million users

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com

Yeah, their web site is somewhat cluttered... there are lateral and horizontal menus plus some links at the bottom of each page...
Anyway, here's their complete rates list:
International long distance calls at cheap rates

Keep in mind, these rates apply where ever you are calling from with your computer.

Hope this was of help... J-D.