Products that we love from USA and cant be found here

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
nothing beats the 36 pack....yum! :bunny:

...except Sabrett's with the natural casing!!!!! Hard to find even in the US though :ermm:

a few other hard or impossible to find American items, that I miss:

The Sunday NY Times
Harley parts...and mechanics
several US magazines
flavored liquid Coffeemate creamer (Ive found powdered Coffeemate and liquid Int'l Delights...strange...)
english language paperbacks
*GOOD* bagels
hot italian sausage
normal size and texture hot dog and hamburger buns
smoked fish spread/dip
Swiss or Belgian chocolate
Hostess-type snacks
Ben & Jerry's Ice Cream
maine lobsters
king crab legs
stone crabs

...also I wish someone would open a Krispy Kreme and a Subway or Quiznos type sandwich shop!

Mar 2, 2008
maine lobsters
king crab legs
stone crabs

Double ditto,
but I'm certain everyone will agree that New Hampshire lobsters are far superior to Maine lobsters.

Otherwise, a very good list by David, who, by the way, should know better about the difference in lobsters.

Ceasar Garcia

Oct 1, 2008
Most of the items you wish to buy are available here in the capital. Just need to hook up with me and, I will tell you where to go. Just outside of Santiago there is a Etaman's not spelled right factory. I have seen their pastries here in the capital. Paper back books there is a church here you can buy them for like 30 pesos a piece. The synagogue here also brings in kosher foods like Hebrew National hot dogs. Need to network more.

johnny

Bronze
Feb 8, 2003
hausenland.com
as Ceasar says, many of the stuff mentioned above, you can find here in the capital.
decent pizza, well, you can find more than decent here, go to Trattoria del Vesubio, even pizzarelli has a good pizza
US beef, rib eye, go to Omaha, ave. privada at romulo betancourt, netc to BHD
hot italian sauce, german, good burgers, and any kind of seasoned ribs, pork, beef,for grill. go to Brother?s in ave. 27 de febrero esq. Caonabo they have a restaurant next, called Fry and Grill which is good and inexpensive.

thomas901

May 4, 2008
maybe im wrong but i could have sworn i saw axe products at supermercado nacional on ave 27 and lincoln. call and see.

johnny

Bronze
Feb 8, 2003
hausenland.com
I will check about the AXE BATH GEL, I have seen just deodorant here.
That would be great, I travel to states just twice a year, so i have to bring enough AXE for 6 months.

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
Most of the items you wish to buy are available here in the capital. Just need to hook up with me and, I will tell you where to go. Just outside of Santiago there is a Etaman's not spelled right factory. I have seen their pastries here in the capital. Paper back books there is a church here you can buy them for like 30 pesos a piece. The synagogue here also brings in kosher foods like Hebrew National hot dogs. Need to network more.

Thanks for the tips Ceasar. I'll try to get in in touch with you next time Im in the capital... for the record though, I know where to get some of the things I listed,I said DIFFICULT or impossible to find...being in Cabarete makes buying things in the capital a little...um...difficult :bunny:

Bellamona

Sep 18, 2007
you beat me to it.

Febreze! (and good air fresheners) Can't think of anything else that I can't find in the DR (at double or triple the price of my local wal-mart.)

they sell Febreze here but I can't remember i bought it - it is hard to find..Jumbo??

Bellamona

Sep 18, 2007
help

Victoria Secret - does any place sell VS lingerie here??

Enteman's (don't know how to spell it) pastries = Nacional

Abuela

Bronze
May 13, 2006
maine lobsters
king crab legs
stone crabs

Double ditto,
but I'm certain everyone will agree that New Hampshire lobsters are far superior to Maine lobsters.

Otherwise, a very good list by David, who, by the way, should know better about the difference in lobsters.

Poor misguided catcher..Maine lobster rules.NH lobsters are just Maine lobsters who swam across the river to see what was on the other side!

Reactions: Bronxboy

Bok

Mar 13, 2004
Diet Mountain Dew .... and beef jerky .... together

I was lucky to find regular MD in Nacional at Bella Vista Mall a few times but never the Diet version. I asked the manager why he didn't stock up on more MD as it obviously sold out fast. I didn't receive an answer I could use for anything..........

Beef jerky is too expensive anyway. Well maybe not way too expensive if I'm in the mood.

Come on Jumbo PC, I'm counting on you.

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
baked beans at playero in sosua.....if they haven't sold out....sorry didn't read the whole post so if i copied someone else...ooops....they sell out quick to... i think they are boston family type and campbells....

AK74

On Vacation!
Jun 18, 2007
I`d better say - "Products needed but either not available (NA) or overpriced here" that are adviseable to bring in with you or with your friends.

(From my experience in Sosua-Cabarete-POP area only)

1. Shampoo & Conditioner
regular is two times expensive in DR than in NY (Costco), good quality organic - NA

2. Tooth paste -

regular is two times expensive in DR than in NY (Costco), good quality organic - NA

3. Dried fruits and berries (apricote, plums, figs, raisin, blackberry, ruspberry, etc)
regular is three times expensive in DR than in NY (Costco), good quality organic (no sugar added) - NA

4. nuts and seeds (almond, brazil, wallnut, sunflower, pumkinseed, etc)

regular is two times expensive in DR than in NY (Costco), good quality organic no salt no fried- NA

5. Mosquitto repellant

regular is two times expensive in DR than in NY , good quality - NA

6. Mouthwash

7. Shaving cream

8.Quality Cogniac
two times expensive in DR than in NY and 99% is fake

9. Quality perfume

substantially more expensive in DR than in NY and 99% is fake

10. Good chocolate

ferrero rocher is four times more expensive in DR than in NY (Costco)

11.Hemp seed oil

NA in DR

12. Condoms

Acceptable quality and real size for real man- three times more expensive in DR

13. Organic cold rolled oats

NA in DR

14. Advil

four times more expensive in DR than in NY (Costco)

15. Band aid

two times more expensive in DR

16. Good quality athletic shoes

NA in DR (Sosua/POP)

17. Kefir starter

NA in DR

18. Real caviar (sturgeon/ salmon)

NA in Sosua/POP area

19. Quality smoked fish (sturgeon/salmon)

Sturgeon - NA, Salmon - poor quality, overpriced

20. Sun block/ sun screen

Two times more expensive in DR than in NY.

21. Dishwashing liquid

acceptable quality - two times more expensive in DR

22. Green tea

Good quality in bulk - NA in DR. Low grade in packets - twice more expensive in DR

23. Organic apple cider vinegar with mother

NA in DR

24. Stevia

NA in DR

25. fiber mix

good quality NA in DR.

26. Myoplex protein shake

NA in DR.

So, my maletas are always full and a gang of friends impationatelly wait in airport to loot!!

Sorry if missed something!

Buen provecho!

Last edited:

olddog

Jul 14, 2006
Hi folks....

Presidente cerveza is on special fairly regularly here in Palm Beach County Florida. Just picked up a couple of 12 packs for $10.60 USD, each, tax included.

Dunno if it's the same formula or same amount of alki. Still tastes great.

Marlboro Lights are about $28 USD a carton if ya shop around.

Cheers and happly landings always...

Ol' Phil

olddog

Jul 14, 2006
Hi again...

Sorry 'bout this silly post but...

Anyone seen horse radish in the markets in Sosua? I enjoy a spot or two in my bloody marys.

Drop me a PM if ya see any. Gotta be refrigerated too.

Gracias amigos....

Ol' Phil