Promerica: First Bank in DR to Issue Stocks

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Now that César Iglesias was the first Dominican company to issue stocks in the Dominican Republic Stock Exchange, Promerica will become the second company to issue stocks in the Dominican Republic Stock Exchange and the first from the Dominican financial system.

J9N4V3J.jpg

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Correction: This will be preferred stocks, first of its type in the BVRD.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Econ Carlos Julio Camilo is the President of Promerica Dominican Republic to speak about the company and the IPO in Pesos Pesados.
Promerica will be the first bank IPO in the BVRD (Dominican Republic Stock Exchange).

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
It should be noted and even I didn't know this until the interview in the previous post, Promerica is actually a Nicaraguan bank. I thought it was from some other country (never in a million years would Nicaragua makes it to that radar), an original Dominican invention or a subsidiary of a US bank or something like PriceSmart which has no presence in the US but the founders and most or all of the top people are Americans.

While there isn't much in the DR from Nicaragua, usually it isn't a company or brand marketed to consumers such as a bank. For example, not many people know that the main owner of the Acrópolis highrise and mall in SD is Nicaraguan (a woman too, a further rarity among big investors), the same with the holder of the TGI Friday franchise in the DR. Like that there are a few more things that exist in the DR, but it's somewhat hidden that the owner(s) are Nicaraguan.

It turns out that Promerica is called Banpro in Nicaragua, it was founded in 1991 (another shocker to me, very young bank) and is the largest private bank in Nicaragua.

Promerica has been in the DR since the year 2000. They became a commercial bank in the DR in 2013.
JJmQFcu.jpg

Shares of the bank per assets in the country they are in vis-a-vis the other major banks in each country. They are the fifth largest bsnk by assets in the DR.
JJmQq9j.jpg

This one is another shocker. Of all the major banks in the DR, they have the most growth of its credit portfolio (loans.)
JJmQBAx.jpg

Another shocker, they outperform in growth for the Dominican sector for consumer credit (especially credit cards), mortgages, TC & XF, and commercial credit during the May 2022 - 2023 period.
JJmQK8b.jpg

Their credit rating has improved as well from 2020 to 2022.
JJmDYAb.jpg

Jan 9, 2004
It should be noted and even I didn't know this until the interview in the previous post, Promerica is actually a Nicaraguan bank. I thought it was from some other country (never in a million years would Nicaragua makes it to that radar), an original Dominican invention or a subsidiary of a US bank or something like PriceSmart which has no presence in the US but the founders and most or all of the top people are Americans.

While there isn't much in the DR from Nicaragua, usually it isn't a company or brand marketed to consumers such as a bank. For example, not many people know that the main owner of the Acrópolis highrise and mall in SD is Nicaraguan (a woman too, a further rarity among big investors), the same with the holder of the TGI Friday franchise in the DR. Like that there are a few more things that exist in the DR, but it's somewhat hidden that the owner(s) are Nicaraguan.

It turns out that Promerica is called Banpro in Nicaragua, it was founded in 1991 (another shocker to me, very young bank) and is the largest private bank in Nicaragua.

Promerica has been in the DR since the year 2000. They became a commercial bank in the DR in 2013.
JJmQFcu.jpg

Shares of the bank per assets in the country they are in vis-a-vis the other major banks in each country. They are the fifth largest bsnk by assets in the DR.
JJmQq9j.jpg

This one is another shocker. Of all the major banks in the DR, they have the most growth of its credit portfolio (loans.)
JJmQBAx.jpg

Another shocker, they outperform in growth for the Dominican sector for consumer credit (especially credit cards), mortgages, TC & XF, and commercial credit during the May 2022 - 2023 period.
JJmQK8b.jpg

Their credit rating has improved as well from 2020 to 2022.
JJmDYAb.jpg
Grupo Promerica is a holding company of Promerica Financial Corp. which is headquartered in Panama. They have offices and a presence in several Central American countries and in the Caribbean.

As to their credit rating from PCR (Pacific Credit Rating) as an "A"................the major reporting and respected rating agencies give them a B+........................and that is a long long way from "A". In fact, their debt according to Fitch is highly speculative.............being polite. Highly speculative being un-polite is classified as "junk."

They would not be my choice for a bank.....................nor as a stock investment. If I was forced to choose between them and Cesar Iglesisas, the only two choices currently on the Dominican stock exchange, Iglesias would be the hands down winner. But, since I am not being forced, there are better choices elsewhere.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Why would any prudent individual invest in these pieces of garbage. Answer: Probably bc they support the needs of money laundering. Other that that what would be a compelling reason to deposit funds?

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Why would any prudent individual invest in these pieces of garbage. Answer: Probably bc they support the needs of money laundering. Other that that what would be a compelling reason to deposit funds?
Tiny Jamaica has a stock exchange with over 100 companies.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
The following trading posts are the only authorized to sell stocks of Promerica during their initial emission.

Jd8no42.jpg

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Today (10) and tomorrow (11) Proamerica's preferred stocks can be bought by small investors only (RD$50K to less that RD$5.4M.

From Oct 12 to 16 general investors (greater than RD$5.4M) can purchase.

To buy any Proamerica preferred stocks, you have to go to one of the seven brockerage companies in the previous post.*

J3xY3du.jpg

* Very recently United Capital open an office in Puntacana Village. I think that is their first office outside Santo Domingo.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
It would have to be a BIG dividend. With their bonds rated as junk.................why would you send your money to die there.

And what is the price of the stock.....and how do you track it?

You can get risk free 1 year CD's paying 5.75% USD.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2
PC I'll take a shot at answering the question: My take of the reason is...wath's better than control of a BANK for a money launderer?

El Hijo de Manolo

It's outrageous, egregious, preposterous!
Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
I don't even like the name. Has a cheesy sales vibe aka fraud. Im not even aware of the reg environment here, where is it on disclosure or audit independence.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Due to being the first preferred stock offer of a financial institution in the Bosla de Valores de la República Dominicana (BVRD), the President Luis Abinader (along with executives and main investors of Promerica) marked the start of sale of Proamerica preferred stock by ringing the bell. Event took place in the National Palace.

J3Y4n6X.jpg

For basically the same reason, the law firm Salas, Piantini & Asociados published a statement congratulating Proamerica. They extended their congratulationd to PARVAL as being the colocator of Proamerica preferred stocks in the Dominican Republic Stock Exchange.

J3Y4WwQ.jpg

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
I give up Nals. "Why would someone invest in this stock" is not idiomatic. It's used as due diligence thousands of times a day acoss the world. Bye, to this subject for me because I don't understand it.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
JFNQ2zQ.jpg

- All Promerica preferred stocks are fully emitted.
- Within a few hours they were put on sale to the public all preferred stocks were sold.
- All the preferred stocks were bought by families and Dominican PYME's.