Propane conversion tips (caution)/update

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
which propane system

I am shopping for a propane system for my Ford Expedition. I was about to have Los Muchachos in Sosua install an Italian system for 700 US including the circular tank that fits in the spare tire well. I chattted with a gringo at the gym who tells me he had a Japanese system installed in a similar vehicle for $1000 US that served him very well. I am at a loss at to what to do here. I have an old Toyota with a very simple system that I switch on and off from gas to gasoline that works very well. I am a bit leery of things "automatic" that switch between fuels at set rpms. 2000 rpm is a bit high for me. I do a lot of driving at less rpms than that. With my Toyota I start up in the morning in gasoline and after a few seconds switch over to gas manually and off I go without a problem. I get about 20 mpg in propane. Never really checked my gasoline mileage but I suspect its a bit higher. Appreciate any input from your experience.

Feb 7, 2007
It's not like the automatic systems kick in at 2000 rpm and turns off when your engine goes below 2000 rpm. Once it's on it's on until you either turn the engine off or press a button to turn it back to gasoline.

angus murray

Sep 29, 2008
Cost Of Conversion?

So as to have an idea of cost, for example what is the total cost to convert a Toyota Camry? Also, could someone please post the phone number of Acosta? Mention has been made of a 'circular tank'. Is this a purpose-built tank made for each vehicle application and not a barbecue type of tank?

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
So as to have an idea of cost, for example what is the total cost to convert a Toyota Camry? Also, could someone please post the phone number of Acosta? Mention has been made of a 'circular tank'. Is this a purpose-built tank made for each vehicle application and not a barbecue type of tank?
I posted complete pictures above.

Feb 7, 2007
Mention has been made of a 'circular tank'. Is this a purpose-built tank made for each vehicle application and not a barbecue type of tank?

It's the type used mostly in jeepetas, instead of the spare tire. I guess it could be used in Camry too, but where would you put your spare tire afterwards?

rh8371

Nov 5, 2008
Does anyone know if this conversion will work for a Chev suburban? If so where can it be done properly in SD with the tank designed for the spare tire well. My sub has an 8.1 liter V8 so you can imagine what my gasoline costs is at.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Does anyone know if this conversion will work for a Chev suburban? If so where can it be done properly in SD with the tank designed for the spare tire well. My sub has an 8.1 liter V8 so you can imagine what my gasoline costs is at.
Most likely you'll have to have the injector system which will cost a LOT more, prolly north of RD$75,000. Your fuel costs will drop but so will your mileage. A thirsty beast like an 8.1 will be stopping at propane stations constantly because the propane tank is about the size of a spare tire. Mine in 19gals. Mom CB's Suburban has a 30+gal. tank. BIG difference.

Jan 9, 2004
GM produced a 502 cubic inch...

An 8.1 liter V8? I don't think I've ever seen an engine that big.

But yes, the conversion can be done on any vehicle.

V-8 in the late eighties and early nineties. That would work out to about an 8.2 liter engine. The gas tank size on the vehicles outfitted with this engine also had to be increased...wonder why?

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
....... Your fuel costs will drop but so will your mileage. .......

I am starting to question the savings of my conversion for my Toyota.

The cost of the propane is now at about 80 pesos a gallon and I get about 10 miles to the gallon on the propane. Soon it may be the same or cheaper to go back to regular gas.

I would also have more trust in getting the amount of fuel that I am paying for, hard to determine if they are cheating me with the propane.

Don

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
I am starting to question the savings of my conversion for my Toyota.

The cost of the propane is now at about 80 pesos a gallon and I get about 10 miles to the gallon on the propane. Soon it may be the same or cheaper to go back to regular gas.

I would also have more trust in getting the amount of fuel that I am paying for, hard to determine if they are cheating me with the propane.

Don
Even at the higher propane price I save US$0.093 per mile. That is still worth it.

rh8371

Nov 5, 2008
Thanks for all the replies. I guess this is why I've been holding out for so long. I definitely don't want to do the conversion if it's not going to be that big of a difference using gasoline and I definitely do not want to loose the power and torque I get from the 8.1.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Thanks for all the replies. I guess this is why I've been holding out for so long. I definitely don't want to do the conversion if it's not going to be that big of a difference using gasoline and I definitely do not want to loose the power and torque I get from the 8.1.
You will hardly notice the loss of power and touque. Those figures come at higher rpm's in most automotive engines and it's rare to run vehicles in peak range.

I barely notice going up the looooong steep grade from Bayacanes toward Jarabacoa.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Propane

After having Acosta Auto Gas in Santiago install my propane system about six months ago I have watched the steady rise in the cost of a gallon of Propane. Now there is the new problem of cheating by the stations. I have discovered that driving in the city using propane I am getting poor milage. When I am out on the open road the milage take a big positive jump. With the increased cost I have found that my best economy is gasoline in town and propane on the highway. I have also switched stations and my milage has improved - pretty sure I was being cheated.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
After having Acosta Auto Gas in Santiago install my propane system about six months ago I have watched the steady rise in the cost of a gallon of Propane. Now there is the new problem of cheating by the stations. I have discovered that driving in the city using propane I am getting poor milage. When I am out on the open road the milage take a big positive jump. With the increased cost I have found that my best economy is gasoline in town and propane on the highway. I have also switched stations and my milage has improved - pretty sure I was being cheated.
Just an observation: trying to watch mileage is frustrating. Figure cost per mile instead. Besides, isn't that really what the conversion is all about?

And try filling up early in the morning. Propane is expansion-sensitive by temperature...it's a gas. We fine we get more in the tank and it lasts longer when filling up in the morning.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Even with the doubling of the cost of propane it does not account for the tripling of the cost per mile.

Like I said before, it's hard for me to determine with propane if they are cheating me or not.

The tripling of cost per mile is a good indication that I am being cheated.
And there are new spark plugs just recently installed.

Can anyone explain why we always have to drain the air in the tank when filling up even tho we never let the tank get below a quarter tank?

It's a closed system, why so much air all the time?

One reason I can think of for my poor mileage is that I live and drive mainly in the city of Santiago, and one gets into the habit of always driving like hell, or be run over by the other drivers. But I always do that and drive with the air on, so that does not account for the tripling of costs per mile either.

I will try to fill up early in the morning as you suggest CB.
I do my calculations by Miles Driven / Refill Cost / Propane Amount.

Don

Last edited:

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
One reason I can think of for my poor mileage is that I live and drive mainly in the city of Santiago, and one gets into the habit of always driving like hell, or be run over by the other drivers. But I always do that and drive with the air on, so that does not account for the tripling of costs per mile either.

I will try to fill up early in the morning as you suggest CB.
I do my calculations by Miles Driven / Refill Cost / Propane Amount.

Don
Don-if you have the "old" system-the tube into the intake manifold- have someone take a peek at your catalytic converter. Propane will clog it up much more quickly reducing the engine's efficiency. Additionally, run your car on gasoline several miles a week especially on the highway. Kinda blows things out.

I find when I do a lot of city driving with my old system, efficiency drops until I run it on gasoline for a while.

The injector systems is different.

Feb 7, 2007
Even at the higher propane price I save US$0.093 per mile. That is still worth it.

Same here. And even if they are cheating me on the amount of LPG, I still save compared to gasoline.
Fortunately here in Higuey I have a LPG filling station (Higuey Gas) that fills the tank for what it is - 16 gallons. Also Propagas near Charley / Las Americas is good. I use those two for my Higuey -SD treks.

Feb 7, 2007
I have discovered that driving in the city using propane I am getting poor milage. When I am out on the open road the milage take a big positive jump.

Same here. 2.4l V6 engine, and I get 17 miles per gallon on LPG, average Higuey to Santo Domingo (includes some slower road portions, and in-city La Romana and San Pedro). In city (like driving in Higuey, stop-and-go driving, average speed 15 - 20 mph) I get about 6 to 6.5 miles per gallon on LPG. I have not tried measuring gas-mileage in city driving on gasoline for a looong time (I would need a full tank of gasoline for that, and my car has not seen full tank of gasoline for 2 years...) so I cannot say if I get comparably better city mileage on gasoline or on LPG. But it might be worth a try...

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Same here. 2.4l V6 engine, and I get 17 miles per gallon on LPG, average Higuey to Santo Domingo (includes some slower road portions, and in-city La Romana and San Pedro). In city (like driving in Higuey, stop-and-go driving, average speed 15 - 20 mph) I get about 6 to 6.5 miles per gallon on LPG. I have not tried measuring gas-mileage in city driving on gasoline for a looong time (I would need a full tank of gasoline for that, and my car has not seen full tank of gasoline for 2 years...) so I cannot say if I get comparably better city mileage on gasoline or on LPG. But it might be worth a try...
I have the 3.5l engine in the XTerra.

I get 14.5mpg on gasoline and 10mpg on propane.

I have the "old" that meters the propane by vacuum-triggered pressure upstream from the airbox in an inefficient manner, especially in city. My mileage is total for a tank and only varies depending on the hiway/city mix. Highway alone I get 12+mpg on propane, city alone around 8mpg.

Still cheaper than gasoline and I don't notice the power loss at all.

I DO think the vehicle needs to be run on gasoline occasionally, and at highway speeds.

For every 2 19g propane fill-ups I go through about 4g of gasoline.