Pros and Cons of putting the car in my name, before selling it...any advice?

Aug 5, 2015
Greetings,

My family owns a car in the Dominican Republic that was left over after my father passed away. We are wanting to sell this car since it seems that none of us, nor any of our closest cousins seem to have any apparent use for it at the moment. It's nothing fancy, but it's just not needed anymore.

The lawyer that is handling other affairs for us over there says that in order to legally "officially" sell the car (my father had sold other vehicles before unofficially), one of us children needs to put the vehicle in our name. None of us are citizens or residents over there, and don't plan on becoming so anytime soon, so I'm wondering what the process may be like.

Are there any drawbacks to being the one that puts the car in my name? For example, what type of fees would I have to incur before being able to successfully sell the vehicle? Obviously, I'm not trying to create any new problems.

Thanks and hope you all have a happy and successful new year.

Btw: We are fully fluent in Spanish

Manuel01

Apr 1, 2009
Yes and no. If you want to sale it privately than only the person that owns the Car (is registered to) can transfer ownership. Try to get rid of it selling it to a a Dealer, they have their ways to transfer ownership without big headache. But if the present matricula is not even on the name of your father, than you might have a problem.

Reactions: InterestedSugoya

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I have watched family lawyers sign for a deceased person, using the deceased person's "signature."

In each case, the buyer knew the deceased "seller" and it was effected with the wink of an eye.

Aug 5, 2015
Thank you for the replies.

@Manuel01 I'm pretty sure that the matricula is still in our father's, name despite him being deceased.

For those of you that suggested possibly selling it to a dealer, wouldn't one of us children still have to put the car in one of our names before selling it to a dealer? If not, what other way is there to sell it to a dealer? Also, anyone know any trustworthy dealers or know somewhere online where I can learn more about the process?

For example: Would I call or visit a dealer-->Say I have a car-->Agree on a price--->Receive the money--->Sign the car over-->and that's the end of the interaction forever?

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016

@Manuel01 I'm pretty sure that the matricula is still in our father's, name despite him being deceased.

For those of you that suggested possibly selling it to a dealer, wouldn't one of us children still have to put the car in one of our names before selling it to a dealer? If not, what other way is there to sell it to a dealer? Also, anyone know any trustworthy dealers or know somewhere online where I can learn more about the process?

For example: Would I call or visit a dealer-->Say I have a car-->Agree on a price--->Receive the money--->Sign the car over-->and that's the end of the interaction forever?

May I ask what is the brand and model of your car?

Last edited:

Manuel01

Apr 1, 2009

There are no honest Dealers ! Or at least i haven't meet any in the last 17 years since i'm here. They will definetely give you a VERY lousy price. But really ???? do you want to sale the car by your self and getting a hundred anoying calls and 50 People showing up for a test ride ??? What Car or Value we are ven talking about ?

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
I think your lawyer is somehow going to have to put the car in your name first for you to sell it. Why don't you call the lawyer and ask how much that would cost? Wouldn't your other family members be willing to split the fees? The problem I see is in selling it. Who's going to be showing the car?

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
I think your lawyer is somehow going to have to put the car in your name first for you to sell it. Why don't you call the lawyer and ask how much that would cost? Wouldn't your other family members be willing to split the fees? The problem I see is in selling it. Who's going to be showing the car?
See post #3

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
See post #3
Yes, I saw that. I'm sure there are some lawyers that will do that, but the OP was asking about putting it in his name. In either case, the OP has a lawyer handling his affairs. He should call and ask what it would cost. The problem of selling the car still remains.

Aug 5, 2015
Thank you @cavok
I believe that is what I had been advised before, and we wouldn't have an issue splitting lawyer fees, but my main concern was whether there would be any cons associated with putting the car in my name (as a non-citizen/non-resident)? There is no rush to get this done, but it would help tie up loose ends.

Drperson

Sep 19, 2008
Thank you @cavok
I believe that is what I had been advised before, and we wouldn't have an issue splitting lawyer fees, but my main concern was whether there would be any cons associated with putting the car in my name (as a non-citizen/non-resident)? There is no rush to get this done, but it would help tie up loose ends.
It is important that people switch titles sooner than later , because if the cedula of the former owner expires , then it becomes much more difficult.

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
Yes, I saw that. I'm sure there are some lawyers that will do that, but the OP was asking about putting it in his name. In either case, the OP has a lawyer handling his affairs. He should call and ask what it would cost. The problem of selling the car still remains.

Thank you @cavok

There is no problem as a non citizen/non resident. A vehicle can be in anybody's name.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Thank you @cavok
There are no cons putting the car in your name as a non-resident. You need to make sure the title is transferred out of your name when you sell, but your lawyer should handle that for you.

Aug 5, 2015
It is important that people switch titles sooner than later , because if the cedula of the former owner expires , then it becomes much more difficult
The former owner/current title holder is deceased, so...not sure how that works.
There is no problem doing that, you only have to make sure when you sell to make the legal steps to transfer the car at the DGII Office to the name of the new owner.
That does require an in-person visit to DGII? I've been there before for inquiring about other things, but I'm just curious.
There are no cons putting the car in your name as a non-resident. You need to make sure the title is transferred out of your name when you sell, but your lawyer should handle that for you.
So, would the lawyer wait until after the sale is made to switch the title from my name (for example) into the buyer's name? Or does that somehow get done simultaneously at the same exact time that the sale is made?

Also, if we decided to gift the car to a friend or family member that lives in DR, what kind of fees if any would we incur if we want to officially transfer the title into their name, and would the DGII and a lawyer still need to be involved, or could one of those be omitted since it's a gift, rather than a sale?

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
The former owner/current title holder is deceased, so...not sure how that works.
The main reason for making sure to transfer the title out of your name is so that you are not exposed to any liability if the new owner is in an accident.
That does require an in-person visit to DGII? I've been there before for inquiring about other things, but I'm just curious.
That's something the buyer has to do. You or your lawyer needs to confirm it was done.
So, would the lawyer wait until after the sale is made to switch the title from my name (for example) into the buyer's name? Or does that somehow get done simultaneously at the same exact time that the sale is made?
It takes time after the contract is made and money changes hands before the title can actually be switched.
Also, if we decided to gift the car to a friend or family member that lives in DR, what kind of fees if any would we incur if we want to officially transfer the title into their name, and would the DGII and a lawyer still need to be involved, or could one of those be omitted since it's a gift, rather than a sale?
You'll have to ask your lawyer about that(?).

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris

Yes, the transfer have to be done in person, you have to deposit all the documents that give you the owner, the legal contract selling to you then the DGII will complete the transfer process.