Proud of my little town

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Maybe Squat Knows More

... Maybe someone on this forum can tell us what will happen when donated items arrives in this country for such things as emergency support.
The French donors (in LT) would be able to give you an answer on that.
They have donated at least three vehicles (2 to the fire fighters, 1 to the public hospital).
When they were still functioning people would be asked to provide money for fuel for their use.
The French community has also donated medical supplies and run a dispensary at the local hospital.

I know of a case (of several years back) when European donors sent a fully equipped new ambulance to Santo Domingo. Customs wanted a huge sum to let the vehicle in. The donors arranged for the vehicle to be sent back to where it came from.

donP

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Many Years Ago,When Balaguer Was President,...............

The city of Miami donated a firetruck to the Puerto Plata Fire Dept. It sat on the pier,because the Customs inspector wanted to be paid the fees for a fire truck before they would allow it off the dock!
Sometime later,there was a fire at the electric generating station in Puerto Plata,3 men were burned to death.Finally,after public pressure,Balaguer ordered the truck released.
It is common practice to hold anything hostage at the ports-of-entry,even "Tax Exempt Items" until somebody pays up! :ermm:
Yes indeed,it would be good to follow the truck's progress!

CCCCCCCCCCCCC

Chuck T

Banned
Nov 30, 2010
ALAS ! Perhaps on second thought, maybe there is no hope for the human race ( at least not if RD continues with practices like these)

marliejaneca

Bronze
Oct 7, 2003
Details of the shipment were worked out over the next couple of months with Toronto businessman Dave Kersteman, president of Global Aerospace. Kersteman is also an investor in Sasino, a bottled water and water purification company located in the Dominican and he is involved with Sasino Alas de Esperanza (Wings of Hope), a non-profit group dedicated to making a positive impact on communities in the Dominican Republic. The cost of transporting the pumper from Northwestern Ontario to the Dominican Republic was covered by Kersteman and the people of Sosua

I would gather from this that Mr. Kersteman is a successful businessman and would have made sure all his t's were crossed and his i's were dotted. The one thing that alarmed me was the mention of costs being covered by Kersteman and "the people of Sosua", yet no one from Sosua on this board seems to know anything about it?? I wonder what people in Sosua they talking about?? Oh, oh, now I am even sounding a little paranoid :0

Gordon

Jan 24, 2011
I would think Marlie that a few follow up questions would do wonders once the ship lands and also assist with what questions to ask for your next project. Successful business people can make all the difference. Someone mentioned they would take pictures on arrival and that might let everyone know there is follow through. Making donations at a grassroots level is usually a more interesting venture and usually has a few glitches that we might not otherwise become aware of. Do not go by the experience I noted in this town as a reason to be paranoid. You have already done the right thing by giving a lot of people in sosua a heads up and a chance to get involved.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I would gather from this that Mr. Kersteman is a successful businessman and would have made sure all his t's were crossed and his i's were dotted. The one thing that alarmed me was the mention of costs being covered by Kersteman and "the people of Sosua", yet no one from Sosua on this board seems to know anything about it?? I wonder what people in Sosua they talking about?? Oh, oh, now I am even sounding a little paranoid :0

Paranoid? Has the snow melted up in your part of the world?

Folks, for those of you a bit weak in geography, this is up on the Canadian Shield..... Shania Twain country (well, she's from Timmins I think).... maybe even Metis country ??

Wonderful gift to Sosua....... I know it will go to good use..... snow tires and siren and all!!!:squareeye

donP

Dec 14, 2008
"This truck was donated by Lic. (...)"

Find a local politician, the more corrupt the better.
He will help with customs and be proud to donate the truck to his constituency... maybe you won't even have to pay him... :tired:

donP

marliejaneca

Bronze
Oct 7, 2003
[/B]

Paranoid? Has the snow melted up in your part of the world?

Folks, for those of you a bit weak in geography, this is up on the Canadian Shield..... Shania Twain country (well, she's from Timmins I think).... maybe even Metis country ??

Wonderful gift to Sosua....... I know it will go to good use..... snow tires and siren and all!!!:squareeye

Actually, 1 hour northwest of International Falls, Minnesota, if that helps with the geography lesson, right on Lake of the Woods! Timmins is a 12 hour drive from where I live, we are closer to the Manitoba border. Ontario is a huge province ...we are roughly 24 hour drive to Toronto and 28 hour drive to Montreal...to put it into perspective!

LOL I never thought...I sure hope they put on all-season tires instead of snow tires...heehee!

Vinyasa

Bronze
Dec 22, 2010
www.kieranbarry.com
Another cynic here:

Would you please include a note that says that the bomberos only should turn the flashing lights on when actually in route to a fire rather than any time they drive anywhere?

The other day, I pulled over for an ambulance, only to pass it 5 kilometers outside of town with the siren off and the driver and two passengers (in front seat) laughing and sharing a Presidente beer. From all appearances, it seems that they turned on the siren so that they could get through traffic.

only the one presidente between 3? seems rather unlikely :)

marliejaneca

Bronze
Oct 7, 2003
Yesterday our little town sure could have used the surplus fire truck back! My friend's tourist resort had a fire (thankfully only one cabin lost) and the new fire truck was sitting in Sioux Narrows and didn't make it to Nestor Falls for 45 minutes...gggrrrr! Thankfully, the Ministry of Natural Resources Water Bomber planes were in the vicinity and water bombed the resort before it could spread! Now I really hope Sosua appreciates our little gift!! Apparantly, there are quite a few upset people in our town over this "donation" as it leaves us with just one truck for two communites which are 1/2 hour apart. It was our understanding that a new one would be purchased to replace the one that was sent to Sosua, but apparantly not :(

Camden Tom

Bronze
Dec 1, 2002
yesterday our little town sure could have used the surplus fire truck back! My friend's tourist resort had a fire (thankfully only one cabin lost) and the new fire truck was sitting in sioux narrows and didn't make it to nestor falls for 45 minutes...gggrrrr! Thankfully, the ministry of natural resources water bomber planes were in the vicinity and water bombed the resort before it could spread! Now i really hope sosua appreciates our little gift!! Apparantly, there are quite a few upset people in our town over this "donation" as it leaves us with just one truck for two communites which are 1/2 hour apart. It was our understanding that a new one would be purchased to replace the one that was sent to sosua, but apparantly not :(
ouch!!!

marliejaneca

Bronze
Oct 7, 2003
Merry Christmas everyone!

Just an update, my community ended up purchasing a second fire truck so now everyone is a little happier!

Could anyone from Sosua provide me with an update such as if the fire truck ever made landfall and if it did, did it get past customs? I can't seem to find any information about it? Any information regarding this would be much appreciated!

Ken...are you out there...can you shed some light on this?

Marlie

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Ken posted a picture of it in another thread. It's a beauty!

mmx5ir.jpg

marliejaneca

Bronze
Oct 7, 2003
Woohoo! Thank you Anna! I am so happy it made it there, I have been so busy it kind of slipped my mind for awhile! It is a beauty isn't it?

Again, I am so proud of our little town! I hope it never has to be used, but if it does, I am glad we were able to contribute!

Notice my initials on the license plate...heehee...I wish I could take credit for that! What thread was this originally posted on so I can look it up?

Thanks again for the speedy reply!

Marlie Hampe.... from Nestor Falls, Ontario...the community may be small but we all have big hearts :)

marliejaneca

Bronze
Oct 7, 2003
Thank you, I did a search and found it! I thought after all these years of telling people on this forum to use the search button, I should probably practice what I preach!