Public Health Minister Victor Attallah encourages Dominicans to drink coffee without sugar

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
No, on the stove in a small open pot with a handle they boil the coffee, sugar and water. Then it all gets poured through the sock, the grinds stay in the sock of course. Then they filter the coffee back through the sock a second time. Then into cups.
That's the way I've always done it, but without the sugar. BTW, boiling the coffee is an art in itself as well.

I prefer to boil the water, throw in the coffee and lower the heat a bit (so it doesn't boil over) and let it continue to boil for a 2-3 minutes before running it through the sock. My ex MIL would heat milk up, then the coffee would go into that from the sock.

I gotta count mine- I bet I have a half dozen of new and used ones.

Last edited:

El Hijo de Manolo

It's outrageous, egregious, preposterous!
Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
That's the way I've always done it, but without the sugar. BTW, boiling the coffee is an art in itself as well.

I prefer to boil the water, throw in the coffee and lower the heat a bit (so it doesn't boil over) and let it continue to boil for a 2-3 minutes before running it through the sock. My ex MIL would heat milk up, then the coffee would go into that from the sock.

I gotta count mine- I bet I have a half dozen of new and used ones.
Coffee is not meant to be boiled. That said, maybe there is a population that find it delicious and enjoyable that method, but chemically speaking, coffee is a mildly acidic beverage if traditional brew (pH 4.8 to 5.1). Boiling coffee decreases the pH, making it more acidic, nearly doubling the acidity. Mixed with sugar and/or cream most will not be able to tell, but the holes they discover in your esophagus about about 5-7 years of drinking coffee this way "may" be enough for one to care to brew coffee more traditionally. Or you can take a Nexium daily😒