Puerto Plata - O2 Concentrator.

GringoRubio

Bronze
Oct 15, 2015
My O2 concentrator needs some maintenance. It's not life or death, but man, I sleep so much better with it. I feel so much better.

Anybody know of rentals, service, sales in the area?

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
We've been asking in another thread where someone said they found one for rent but so far no reply from that person. If you find a place that sells, rents,repairs them please let us know.

GringoRubio

Bronze
Oct 15, 2015
Just to close out the thread, I did locate a O2 Concentrator in the DR. A family's matriarch was in rough shape and her family shipped it from the states although she only lasted two more days.

I have another one being shipped which should be here in another week.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
You could recoup your investment renting one of those out I suspect.

But you did not find any for rent or sale in this country correct?

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004

Have seen one at Farmacia Carol on Sarasota in Santo Domingo seem to remember that it was around 30k. for my self I have a POC that I brought from the US.

GringoRubio

Bronze
Oct 15, 2015

I was thinking the same thing. Also, trying to get regulators shipped. I have bored teenagers in the house. They need to learn how to make money.

They are available, but mostly in Santo Domingo. We had one reserved to rent but they called yesterday before we could get there and said it was no longer available. I just had a list off potential sellers and one eventually panned out.

I don't mean to disparage the local culture but you can't count on any particular deal to actually happen.

visitante

Jun 5, 2010
Just to close out the thread, I did locate a O2 Concentrator in the DR. A family's matriarch was in rough shape and her family shipped it from the states although she only lasted two more days.

I have another one being shipped which should be here in another week.
Do you know if medical equipment you import is subject to import taxes?

GringoRubio

Bronze
Oct 15, 2015
Not much. A
Do you know if medical equipment you import is subject to import taxes?

I'm not sure, but they cataloged my O2 Concentrator as a "Air Purifier" and a CPAP that treats my brand of apnea as a "humidifier". At least, on these smaller items (each is worth about $1200), they didn't ding me via EPS. Another mitigating thing is that the shipments didn't include invoices.

So, a thin, skinny maybe.

visitante

Jun 5, 2010
Not much. A

I'm not sure, but they cataloged my O2 Concentrator as a "Air Purifier" and a CPAP that treats my brand of apnea as a "humidifier". At least, on these smaller items (each is worth about $1200), they didn't ding me via EPS. Another mitigating thing is that the shipments didn't include invoices.

So, a thin, skinny maybe.
And EPS didn't ask you for the invoices? I was just there and when I asked about taxes on medical imports the woman immediately said ?oxygen equipment? Then she said the taxes have been multiples of the cost of the equipment, thousands of dollars.

GringoRubio

Bronze
Oct 15, 2015
And EPS didn't ask you for the invoices? I was just there and when I asked about taxes on medical imports the woman immediately said ?oxygen equipment? Then she said the taxes have been multiples of the cost of the equipment, thousands of dollars.
That strikes me as odd. I've never had a problem sending medical stuff through. I try to help some elderly women in the barrio here and I'm always sending for blood sugar tests and their machines, and I've never been dinged for them.

Looks like they may hit you with a CIF (18%) for over 200. Out of curiosity, I asked EPS for cuenta and then sent me a note that I paid 10,000 pesos. Helpful yet, wonderfully helpless. Considering that this was about 8 packages that weighed 50 pounds, that sounds like the usual EPS shipping fees without excessive customs fees.

GringoRubio

Bronze
Oct 15, 2015

If (big if), I read this right: No duty, but you can still get hit on the CIF of 18% for over $200. I suspect EPS was doing me a favor my miscategorizing my items or it's just good luck on my part.