Puerto Plata Stadium

Can a LIDOM expansion baseball team would work for POP?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

M4kintosh

May 23, 2023
Santiago De Los Caballeros
After years without a proper maintenance, the Jose Briceño Baseball Stadium (in front of Jumbo POP) is being on the works and it will be re-inaugurated by Abinader in the upcoming weeks.

The renovation is to attract a potential new expansion team for LIDOM.

Currently POP has the Marineros, the LNB basketball team and the Atlantico FC, on soccer. But not a baseball franchise of the city.

Photos source of Igor Rodríguez, currently second in rank of Ministerio de la Presidencia.
Link:

Attachments

• GIaCqeRXcAAtDzM.jpg
    GIaCqeRXcAAtDzM.jpg
    208.3 KB · Views: 55
  • GIWYTcJW8AAFIb7.jpg
    GIWYTcJW8AAFIb7.jpg
    194.7 KB · Views: 52
  • GIWYTcJWYAA1qtZ.jpg
    GIWYTcJWYAA1qtZ.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 49
  • GIWYTcJXEAAU9Qf.jpg
    GIWYTcJXEAAU9Qf.jpg
    154.2 KB · Views: 53
  • GIZTO9sXIAAtxF1.jpg
    GIZTO9sXIAAtxF1.jpg
    323.8 KB · Views: 49

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
It was said that at one time FENAPEPRO, which represents the players, had concerns about having a team in Puerto Plata. The travel time for teams such as La Romana, San Pedro, even the teams in the Capital was a concern for them. One of the ideas being tossed around was having teams play at least 2 games in Puerto Plata. Lessening the back-to-back travel.

Trainman33

Bronze
Dec 11, 2009
The problem I see with this is that it will leave an odd number of teams. An 8th team would have to be added in the south in Azua where all the roads meet.

• Wow
Reactions: windeguy

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
Yes, that stadium was in a horrible condition, looked like a slum, for years and years. My wife's nephews used to play baseball there and our eldest soccer, so we frequented the place. The entrance looked liked it had gone through a war... The seating area all torn up... I'm really glad they have fixed that, looks very nice!

Reactions: drstock and colmcb

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
30 or so years ago PP had a team in Winter Baseball. But due to many games rained out due to weather among other factors they were cancelled.............I doubt they can get back in the league. Maybe get a few games there hopefully............

Reactions: livio

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Travel times a concern? The poor babies.

Hey, get that Santiago to the Gran Parada road through mountains up and running, that will save time.

Nah, the north coast will end up forsaken again. A little talk but no real action,

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
One of the issues that was often said why PP had no LIDOM team was that it rained a lot. If that was the true reason, then a stadium that doesn’t have a dome will not work and this one doesn’t seem to have one. :unsure:

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
It was said that at one time FENAPEPRO, which represents the players, had concerns about having a team in Puerto Plata. The travel time for teams such as La Romana, San Pedro, even the teams in the Capital was a concern for them. One of the ideas being tossed around was having teams play at least 2 games in Puerto Plata. Lessening the back-to-back travel.
In any major sport teams have to travel long distances. Why should baseball be any different?

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
In any major sport teams have to travel long distances. Why should baseball be any different?
I would think it's economics driven. They just don't make enough $ to justify using regional carriers or private planes like MLB. Busses take a long time going from north to south. Then there are the hotel bills and food bills.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
I would think it's economics driven. They just don't make enough $ to justify using regional carriers or private planes like MLB. Busses take a long time going from north to south. Then there are the hotel bills and food bills.
Santiago has one of the top teams in the league. Last I checked it was 40 minutes or less from Puerto Plata.........................

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
True, but do they make money?
They must be doing pretty good. Have been for many decades. Maybe the most successful team in the league. You should go to a Licey game and see for yourself...........Just to add. PP is no comparison to Santiago. They can't come close to the success..........

Reactions: NanSanPedro

M4kintosh

May 23, 2023
Santiago De Los Caballeros
The problem I see with this is that it will leave an odd number of teams. An 8th team would have to be added in the south in Azua where all the roads meet.
That's another discussion for decades.

- San Cristobal used to have a LIDOM team, but failed, the Caimanes

- Bani, Azua and San Juan were hugely mentioned. Bani was once a potential candidate (even an ex MLB player pushed for a team, but he went broke) and now he's at the new baseball league in Pakistan, promoting the new Baseball United league in the Middle East.

keepcoming

May 25, 2011
The teams in the LIDOM travel by bus unlike sports teams in the USA, etc... Even though all teams have a "team bus" many of the players like to drive. Unfortunately, over the years there have been players that have been involved in accidents driving back from games at night, some who were killed.

livio

Dec 13, 2007
30 or so years ago PP had a team in Winter Baseball. But due to many games rained out due to weather among other factors they were cancelled.............I doubt they can get back in the league. Maybe get a few games there hopefully............
Yep, I remember that when I was a kid there was a team in the south too. The team name was "Los Caimanes del Sur" it was part of DR Winter Baseball. I think they were established around the same time as "Los Toros del este"

Billp16

Jul 20, 2018
And why is that an issue? Pretty easy to schedule every team to play every other one.

keepcoming

May 25, 2011
They can avoid a scheduling issue by rotating days off for teams.

Reactions: Billp16