Puerto Plata Versus Santo Domingo (COL etc..)

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
More power to you Alex.

I'm weary of going back and forth on this with the same actors. Suffice it to say that the average expat moving to the DR doesn't have Dominican friends to chum around with while looking for a place to live. Most expats who move here will already have secured a place to live before they arrive permanently. Most expats looking for place to rent will use the internet and local real estate people.

Not many, myself included will stand on a street corner asking strangers who pass by for the inside scoop on rental properties that aren't announced through any of the regular channels and require a secret handshake to get to see one of them. One would think that a Dominican landlord would love to land a rich gringo whale that would happily pay more than someone else as long as the renter still feels they are getting value for their money. Dominican's only fairly rent to Dominicans out of some sense of cultural pride and altruism...pshshaw.

Again, none of this is helpful to the OP or anyone else for that matter. You've made your point repeatedly that you are thrifty, have Dominican friends and know how to use them to your advantage. You have it all figured out and it all works for you. Now if you would like to offer to educate those that aren't doing as well as you, I'm all ears.

Where does one find a friend who knows where the $300 houses are?

I agree with this. To be honest, my wife has been the one who has gotten us all the rental homes we've lived in over the years, except this house where we live currently (I helped), and this has gotten us houses that I would never have gotten myself. So it is very true, without local help, the perspective can unfortunately be very different. Of course, by now, I know pretty much my way around, but that of course was definitely not the case many years ago.

Back in my country, you can do pretty much everything online and not get ripped off, here, not so much...

I'd also imagine that if my dad (67) decided to live here part-time, I would want pretty much the same for him as Cdn_Gringo writes in terms of budget/surroundings etc. He would have me as support of course, but nevertheless, he doesn't speak Spanish at all, is elderly, and not equally able to defend himself as I am.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
By chance are they the ones I see sitting at Romas everyday nursing a bottle of water because there are no funds leftover to do anything else? No health insurance, no cash leftover to make several visits a year to their native country, etc.......... I am not saying you can't live for less than $2500 but if you want to live a nice comfortable life with entertainment money and insurance plus cash if you need to buy a computer or large purchase that SS check only ain't gonna cut it.

As one of those sitting at Romas nursing my bottle of water, an watching the ladies walk by I think maybe you need to talk to some of those folks. Very few that I am acquainted with are nursing their bottle because they have nothing else and are living close to the bone.
Also when I worked in the USA my lifestyle was not to go out once or twice a week not that I couldn't but just not my style. Had a pool when I lived in Florida don't want to have one again too much trouble.
I do happen to have health insurance, and if something comes up ( trip to the US new computer etc) I have to funds to purchase. And I live in ciudad nueva.

Sep 4, 2012
As one of those sitting at Romas nursing my bottle of water, an watching the ladies walk by I think maybe you need to talk to some of those folks. Very few that I am acquainted with are nursing their bottle because they have nothing else and are living close to the bone.
Also when I worked in the USA my lifestyle was not to go out once or twice a week not that I couldn't but just not my style. Had a pool when I lived in Florida don't want to have one again too much trouble.
I do happen to have health insurance, and if something comes up ( trip to the US new computer etc) I have to funds to purchase. And I live in ciudad nueva.

Empirical as I have been there done it, thank you!

I live in el Millon, you've disclosed to live in Ciudad Nueva.

I've asked our interim expert of all things Santo SDomingo - where does he live in SDQ, as of now - crickets from the self appointed know-it-all BB?

Sep 4, 2012
Thats the beauty of the internet. You dont have to stand on the corner and wing it anymore. You can listen to grounded people who know what theyre talking about and not dismiss them when they tell you their rent is only $17000 pesos. Then once you get on the ground, you go to those areas mentioned from social media and sites like this one, meet local friends, and watch how ridiculous these posts are. But I digress, I dont want to be threatened again for having civil discourse.

You've got to see the house one of my in laws rent for just about $300.00 USD.

mofongoloco

Silver
Feb 7, 2013
90 % of people in SD make 250 a month and 2500 a month is middle class in the usa?

You and your friends must be really poor. Theres a difference between making it and living !!

multiple adults in the extended family contribute to the household income. I doubt that 90% of doms have 250$usd per month as the total household income. my 2 cents.

mofongoloco

Silver
Feb 7, 2013
So how much would this be?

Capital. Guazce, ZC, etc. 1 bedroom with outside space. bars/wall spikes ok. big balcony/terrace/roof top. One room with AC, not the whole apartment. Laundry service of wash/press 4-5 shirts, 2-3 pants per week. Cleaning service 2-3x per week. on site washer. planta/invertor all set up.

I've seen the towers near Los hermanos pescaderia and by the malecon. I would prefer a building with 3-4 floors and 4-6 apartments. you know the kind of place. maybe apartments around the courtyard.

Can't find that kind of place on internet. I've seen them on airbnb and have stayed in them. That's all turn key. no need to set up electricity service, etc. getting closer to my "jubilacion".

I would overspend on things like imported cheese, ham and mustard.

I've never seen a 100 peso plato del dia. well, I've seen the spaghetti with ketchup sauce and a rice and beans plate. but places with no running water where the amoebas are no extra charge.

amstellite

Bronze
Sep 5, 2007
insurance

One other thing for the OP. If you are serious you may want to look into getting medical insurance. It is much, much easier to get up to one month before you turn 65. I pay a little over $100 USD a month, not the best nor not the worst policy but a definite security blanket.

In connection with the insurance issue, once I start the process of becoming a resident will I be able to get Dominican medical insurance?I ll be 60 st the time I start the process of moving to the DR

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
In connection with the insurance issue, once I start the process of becoming a resident will I be able to get Dominican medical insurance?I ll be 60 st the time I start the process of moving to the DR

Yes, you can get health insurance up to the month before you turn 65 without a problem. After 65 some say it is possible but not so easy. I have ARS Humano, a mid level plan and pay 14,000 pesos every six months. The plan I have is not the best and definitely not the worst. Peace of mind is what I call it.

Mattinnorfolk

Dec 15, 2013
Thanks to evryone

Yes, you can get health insurance up to the month before you turn 65 without a problem. After 65 some say it is possible but not so easy. I have ARS Humano, a mid level plan and pay 14,000 pesos every six months. The plan I have is not the best and definitely not the worst. Peace of mind is what I call it.

I appreciate all of the thoughtful comments on this post. It does appear from many of the posters, its the same cost for middle class single lifestyle there, as it is for much of the USA. You will spend $900 apartment, $125 a month electricity etc. if willing to live in the South, or Midwest. I do speak intermediate Spanish, and have visited 6 cities in the DR, 10 times, so hardly an expert since I was a visitor, but I do know a little. I travel to other Latin American country's often. I guess if the cost of living is the same as the USA, I need to go there for the women and the beaches, and that might be enough. :) Thanks to everyone.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
I've lived in both (Sosua) Puerto Plata and Santo Domingo.
Nice places to visit but would not want to live in either of them again.
Lots of nice places to call home on this island. To each their own.

les1

Feb 1, 2007
I'm amazed at the $2500. But then I live in Rio San Juan and spend around 600 a month including rent for a 2 bedroom house 10 meters from the sea. Ok it has a tin roof and no a/c. But I love it there and would add that my security is my good neighbors

london777

Bronze
Dec 22, 2005
I live in Pto Pta. Pay 8500 pesos per month for 1st floor apartment on 2-year contract, salon/kitchen area, two bedrooms. Totally secure in safe but noisy area.