Puerto Plata - What's there?

Status
Not open for further replies.

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
Nobody's picking on you, and nobody picked on the hotel. Read the thread more carefully.

You made a stament, posted here as fact, that the desk clerk had warned you that several of her other guests had been mugged. People who actually live here questioned that because of all the reasons stated above and more:

1) the location of the hotel near the police presence in town
2) not one other person here besides you being able to confirm
3) previous factual errors in your posts
4) your initial reluctance to provide details
5) the poisonous wording in your post that made it just look like a slur by someone with an axe to grind, etc.
6) The fact that at least one person actually talked to the hotel to find out if what you said was true and was not able to confirm

Your statement about taxis also strikes me as strange. A motoconcho maybe, but a taxi? We're talking a couple of blocks here. A taxi driver would certainly take you and laugh all the way back home with the money you paid him for the two block hop. Plus no taxis are generally available in Sosua at all at night. Except a few intercity taxis waiting at the Texaco, which is right at the entrance to the road to the hotel, which menas you would have had to walk already 3/4 of the way from the "tourist zone" whatever that is to the hotel anyway, just to get in the taxi. That just makes no sense.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
keithrogan said:

I should have stuck to my guns and not revealed the name of the Hotel. I suspected that you guys couldn't resist trashing her for her kind warnings, and I was right.

Nobody is trashing Sylvie and Tropix. What are you talking about? She is a good friend of mine and I frequently recommend to people that they stay there.

I do expect to see her at the gym on Monday, however, and plan to tell her about this thread and see what she says. If she tells me her guests should come back from town by taxi at night, then I will accept that.

keithrogan

May 12, 2003
Uh yeah, OK.

The "factual errors" in my posts have all been confirmed by people who live there. Yet, you (in particular) continue to direct your comments at ME, rather than at those locals who have confirmed what I said.
Take a valium or something!
There are many nice clubs and restaurants in Sosua. You can get a tan on the beach and swim in the bay. There is an interesting international mix of folks to meet and party with. You might even get laid. There - see? I said some nice things (again) about Sosua!

But get off my back for pointing out the down side! There is more crime there than in the more rural parts of the island. And there is more litter than in rural parts of the island.
Some people (you) will prefer to dance and swill Presidente's in the variety of clubs available in the more urban environment of Sosua - and that's fine!
Others (like me) will prefer the laid-back atmosphere out in the (relatively) unspoiled Samana peninsula. I'd rather swill my Presidente on an empty beach without any Salsa music blaring in my ears.
You'd rather try and get laid (I assume) by chatting up some well developed German tourist.
My wife would shoot me if I tried that.
You say tomato, I say tomatto.

Tell people the whole truth and let them make up their own minds.

Keith

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
It always makes me smile when someone comes to the board, makes lots of generalizations and doesn't back them up with facts.

When some of the more knowledgeable posters pick them up on this, they go on the defensive and try and deflect attention away from their
own inaccuracies. In the end they are made to look stupid, instead of stepping back, eating a little humble pie and learning form the people that
have been there, done it or still doing it.

The good thing is, most people can tell the difference between truth and fiction, and that makes me happy.

I think it's time to close this thread...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.