Put your dog in a cage ?

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
I have 5 dogs, none really by choice, just rescued dogs in need.
When I go out in the car 2 of them always insist on going too.
The bigger one gets in the back of the SUV. lays down and never moves.
The smaller one, a terrier mix, jumps in front & sits in the front passenger seat on a towel, and loves the AC vent blowing on her.

Today Digisett (AMET) stopped me and told me that dogs are an considered an obstruction and must be in a cage inside a car. I asked to see that law which they could not quote, only the no-obstructions law.
Now in a country that permits full blackout tinting with little slots cut for only the driver's eyes, or no rear view mirrors, worries about a small dog being an obstruction?
I am for making driving safer but the DR seems intent of focusing on ridiculous rules ( or making them up). How about no lights or sirens on non-emergency private vehicles.
My dog never gets in my lap nor does she jump around the car. She sits in the passenger seat. And she isn't a Great Dane sticking her head in front of the driver's side drooling snot.
I'll be darn if I am going to put my dog in a cage each time I run out for an errand or head to the beach.
The Digisett boss then came up and said well it might be OK if dogs stay in the back behind the back seat of the SUV - that "might be acceptable". (the first guy was the same one that gave me a ticket for one of my daytime running light not working on a prior occasion). I did not get an infraction as the boss waived it off much to the disappointment of the dumber flunky.

Who else rides with their dogs in the car ?

Reactions: Farmer

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004

Myself when I had one and everybody else that I know here well over 20 years. Never heard of this, must be one idiot working there...............

Manuel01

Apr 1, 2009
Just ignore this idiot. Who knows what his wife did to him yesterday. I always travel with my two hipersensitive dogs and they are all over me all the time.
You just meet an Idiot Cop.

irishpaddy

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
I take my German Shepherd to DR all the time and have driven all over the country ....I did get stopped recently for not having a seat belt on and he gave me a ticket .He never mentioned the dog .
Sometimes he sits in the back seat and sometimes he will sit up front .

lasalsa

Apr 9, 2008
How is my Personal Protection GSD going to protect me in a cage?... Like the bullets in the glove compartment and your gun on you, LOL..

Reactions: irishpaddy

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
I think a dog is less of an 'obstruction' than a obese person sitting next to you yapping in your ear, or a car with a sound bank of speakers blaring.

Reactions: melphis

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017
I have 5 dogs, none really by choice, just rescued dogs in need.
When I go out in the car 2 of them always insist on going too.
The bigger one gets in the back of the SUV. lays down and never moves.
The smaller one, a terrier mix, jumps in front & sits in the front passenger seat on a towel, and loves the AC vent blowing on her.

Today Digisett (AMET) stopped me and told me that dogs are an considered an obstruction and must be in a cage inside a car. I asked to see that law which they could not quote, only the no-obstructions law.
Now in a country that permits full blackout tinting with little slots cut for only the driver's eyes, or no rear view mirrors, worries about a small dog being an obstruction?
I am for making driving safer but the DR seems intent of focusing on ridiculous rules ( or making them up). How about no lights or sirens on non-emergency private vehicles.
My dog never gets in my lap nor does she jump around the car. She sits in the passenger seat. And she isn't a Great Dane sticking her head in front of the driver's side drooling snot.
I'll be darn if I am going to put my dog in a cage each time I run out for an errand or head to the beach.
The Digisett boss then came up and said well it might be OK if dogs stay in the back behind the back seat of the SUV - that "might be acceptable". (the first guy was the same one that gave me a ticket for one of my daytime running light not working on a prior occasion). I did not get an infraction as the boss waived it off much to the disappointment of the dumber flunky.

give the guy 500 pesos and make a friend for life and be on your way. forget about it he is probably hungry

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
give the guy 500 pesos and make a friend for life and be on your way. forget about it he is probably hungry
The guy was fatter than a stuffed turkey. If he was hungry it's only because he over eats

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017
The argument against that is that it could make Chico even more of a target next time. Not only does the cop get to annoy his favourite gringo, he also knows he can shake him down when he does so.
understand your point of view but I look at it this way if I broke the law in the US a minimum ticket is now $200 if I break the law driving here which can happen it's going to cost me the most $20 I'll pay it .and I did a good deed and help someone not give my money to the bureaucrats