Quads on the highways

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
For me the worst part in Las Terranes was the noise pollution by quads.
In Sosua there are also quads. One idiot with an extra loud one likes to cruise back and forth at night.

A bit extreme......... heavy duty fishing line across the road at head height is a more passive deterrent......

Aug 6, 2006
"Passive"? Doesn't seem very passive to me.

It is passive in that the person putting the line across the road does not do anything active.
It is also aggressive, so you could say that it is passive aggressive.

You could probably kill someone with this technique. A neck hitting a strong fishing line at 30MPH would certainly not fare well.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
It was meant as a joke...... in response to the escopeta......
Dont worry I dont rig the road in front of my house with decapitating fish reel....... even if sometimes I feel like it:laugh:
Anyway the morons always find a way to fall off by themselves, sooner or later.......

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
i dont waste the good and expensive fishing line on those traffic nutheads.
just look on the marks of my Truck, specially the right side(heck, what do i love that they "try" to pass my right), it proofs a good working cost effective solution.
while i agree that the real riding of a Quad requires driving skills 99% of the driving world doesnt have, in the hands of a crazy driver they are not more dangerous than any other vehicle in the hands of a crazy driver, and i guess we agree that we have a large number of those on the roads every day, 2 and 4 wheels, locals and gringitos all alike.

Mike

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Mike,

Simply put a quad is inherently more unstable than a car and less maneuverable. Two facts that most riders do not take into account when they engage warp drive. Quads were designed to climb over rocks, tree roots and cross stream beds in the back country at relatively slow speeds, not scream down the autopista.

It could be said that in the hands of the inexperienced or loco, a quad is inherently more dangerous than a car but less so than a F35.

Put a lunatic at the controls of any vehicle and all bets are off. If a driver is careful and super defensive a quad could be a solid means of movement, it just shouldn't be your first choice for a primary means of transport if safety is somewhere in the top 10 list of vehicle requirements.

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010
I got the muffler and tailpipe fixed on mine; it's now quieter than most of the motoconchos in the area, even when accelerating. Muffler tape will help temporarily.

That's the point they don't have to be noisy!
The opening of the throttle with accompanying noise makes some boys feel manly.....penis extension.
Sometimes they mention road safety for motos as a reason.

Compare a BMW or Japanese bike to a Harley.
I like smooth and quiet power.

arturo

Bronze
Mar 14, 2002
quads are not for street use

Of course they should be banned from street use, especially highways. The safety risks are enormous.

For those of you familiar with Samana and especially Las Terrenas, you will be aware that a very common form of road transport are Quads.

Quads were made as off road recreational transport and are not designed for the roads specially DR roads.

Very dangerous vehicles in the wrong hands, especially youngsters and when over loaded.

I cannot understand those policing the roads turning a blind eye to the use of such vehicles on the highway......but perhaps I should....this is the DR!!

I have not seen such use of these vehicles elsewhere on the roads of this country but I am hopeful that some enlightened police colonel will see the dangers of such vehicles 'on road'.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
the Quads with a legal license plate are vehicles allowed on public roads, you can not ban them from there.
but of course they should be taken off the highways, it is something very different to ride such vehicle thru town or on a street where traffic moves fast. but you know how it works here. when the new highway opened here on the East, there been everywhere signs stating "no Trucks" and "no Motos". guess who fills the highway traffic day and night?? yes, big overlkoaded Trucks and as usual the Motoco?os come onwards to you on your side, in numbers, lol

Mike

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
the Quads with a legal license plate are vehicles allowed on public roads, you can not ban them from there.
but of course they should be taken off the highways,........
Mike

So be it............but I would hope for two passengers maximum in tandem and no extra ones side saddle as seems popular in LT with expats setting a very poor example........and no young kids driving them..........driving at safe low speeds and with additional silencing.........and no wheelies.

It won't happen.......

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
Hmm why would you make it quieter? You want to be seen and heard on a Moto, especially here!

On my quad? No, I don't want to wake my neighbors when I come and go in the wee hours of the night/morning. And it's a very bright yellow, you'd have to be blind or looking down while texting and eating to not see me coming.

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013
For those of you familiar with Samana and especially Las Terrenas, you will be aware that a very common form of road transport are Quads.

Quads were made as off road recreational transport and are not designed for the roads specially DR roads.

Very dangerous vehicles in the wrong hands, especially youngsters and when over loaded.

I cannot understand those policing the roads turning a blind eye to the use of such vehicles on the highway......but perhaps I should....this is the DR!!

I have not seen such use of these vehicles elsewhere on the roads of this country but I am hopeful that some enlightened police colonel will see the dangers of such vehicles 'on road'.

Watched three NON DOMINICANS racing quads back and forth today on the malecon in Puerto Plata. Also, watched the PN nab all three while sitting in one of the kiosks enjoying a cold beer and eating some oysters with my wife. Gotta say that i liked watching the three getting what they deserved in my opinion.