question about steps

Sohrab

Oct 1, 2010
That are steps needed to take for a Dominican Republic citizen to obtain visa to visit United States.
Is it difficult? What is the maximum length of visit? Does sponsorship help or needed?
Thanks in advance for info.

Castellamonte

Bronze
Mar 3, 2005
Cabrera
www.villa-castellamonte.com
Worldwide, the country with the most illegal immigrations into the United States is China. The next one on "the list" is the Dominican Republic. Suffice it to say that obtaining a visa is very difficult, requires excellent documentation and even then is something of a crapshoot.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
That are steps needed to take for a Dominican Republic citizen to obtain visa to visit United States.
Is it difficult? What is the maximum length of visit? Does sponsorship help or needed?
Thanks in advance for info.

As you will find when using the search function, this is very, very, very difficult. You cannot sponsor, the person has to prove NO ties in the US and a great number of ties to the DR to prove they will go back home. All thanks to the huge number of Dominican visa violators and illegal immigrants still in the US. The length of the visa is determined upon arrival in the US and is usually 6 months. Did I say that it was very hard to get such a visa for a Dominican? It is for all practical purposes a sham by the US embassy to even grant the interviews given the number of approvals.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Windeguy is right - having a US connection will hurt more than help, because they look at it as more reason the Dominican will stay in US illegally.

Many years ago [early-mid 80s] we took my retired father-in-law to the US Embassy to apply for a visa to visit us in NJ. Me, my husband and our 2 children [then little kids under 5] went with him, thinking it would help. I went up to the window when it was his turn, and spoke to the guy there. He was very nice, and very informative - he came right out and told me that his having a son in the US didn't help, it hurt. I guess he saw the surprise on my face, because he softened a bit, and asked more questions. He nodded several times when he heard there was a wife and 5 other children in DR - and long story short, he got the visa.

Sohrab

Oct 1, 2010
OK. Thank you guys for all the insight, true warnings. How about visa for a fianc??
Any recent experience?

Last edited:

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
OK. Thank you guys for all the insight, true warnings. How about visa for a fianc??

A fianc? visa is much easier to get in the sense of approval rates. You fill out the forms, pay the fees and then wait and wait, and probably wait some more for the interview and the visa is likely to be approved. Then you have so many months in which to get married in the US.