question of getting married here in the d.r.?

newyorkcityboy

Feb 2, 2007
I have been seperated from my ex wife for 7 years she is american so am i. i have been living in the d.r for all 7 years i have a new family 2 kids and a wife to be . my question is if i choose to marry my present girlfreind the mother of my kids which i have been living with the last 7 years here in the d.r. will i get into any trouble back in the u.s. reason is that my ex will not grant me a divorce because she is a bitch and wants me to suffer.any ideas? will that be bigammy if i get married anyway? the 7 year separation was not filled legaly in the u.s.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Separation is not a legal divorce so yes you will get into trouble because you are still married.

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
does the DR have a extradiction treaty with the U.S ?? fiind out...:laugh:

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
They don't have to have one.
If the US cops want you, they just come down here and ask the local authorities for help in arresting you, and that's what they do, end of story.

Sep 19, 2005
if you live in NY, you can still get a divorce...you dont need her permission. You havent had sex for more than one year...that alone is grounds for divorce....if you wanted it to be easy, then having her go along and agree with things would have made it easier. Even though NY is an "at fault" divorce state...it doesnt mean you need the spouses consent.

There are lots of legal grounds for divorce,

...if you live in a different state, then I wrote this for nothing, ha ha ha....

bob

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Do not believe that.
Well you should.
For example, when I first moved here, there were a lot of Germans who had moved here, who were wanted by the law back home.
Knowing there was no extradition treaty with the DR, they thought that they would be safe, but Interpol just waltzed in here and dragged their sorry little arses out of here.
Same applies for US citizens.
If they want you, they just come and get you, but with the cooperation of the Policia Nacional, or DNCD.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
There is a "Reverend" in Jamao that can perform a "Ceremony" for the family's benefit, if you know what I mean.

jruane44

Bronze
Jul 2, 2004
A, A

The U.S does have a treaty with the D.R. What difference does it make in this scenario anyway. Do it the right way. Get a divorce. After living with the same woman for seven years and having two children, it does not appear that he is in any rush anyway.

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
They don't have to have one.
If the US cops want you, they just come down here and ask the local authorities for help in arresting you, and that's what they do, end of story.

you're right. as long as we're providing DEA planes and equipment so the big guys in the DR can fatten their pockets by catching drug smugglers, i guess they would give up a lonely american. :ermm:

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
i guess they would give up a lonely american. :ermm:
Or any other nationality.
It's just a matter of the cops wanting them enough to come and get them.
The DNCD also has a division that deals with criminals who are wanted in their home countries.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Yes. But for bigamy?????? The police from Dominican republic deported you for drugs and also if you are wanted from Interpol.
They do not deprted you for bigamy.
Sorry.
I didn't understand what you wrote.

OK.. I got it now that you edited the post.
The Dominican cops don't seem to deport anyone.
Like I said, if the cops from your home country want you enough, they come and get you.
As best as I know, the only time the local authorities "deport" you, is if you are wanted by the cops abroad, and you turn yourself in.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
A person who is not divorced and live together with an Dominican woman, is not a criminal.
When he married in the DR. He is still not a criminal.

The OP has come to this board looking for advice. He's not married yet to the woman he's living with but is thinking of it. It would irresponsible for board members to advice this guy to go ahead and get married if he's still legally married in the US because the crime isn't big enough for the US to come and get him.

newyorkcityboy

Feb 2, 2007
i just simply want to get married in the d.r. to the mother of my children the woman that i love but my ex will not grant me a dovorce cause she is a bitch. if i choose any way to go ahead and get married anyway will that bring me any problems back in the states. i live in the d.r. and have been living here for 7 years and have 2 kids .what problems may arive from from me going ahead and say fuc4 it i am getting married anyway?