Question on Duty

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
The process would have been to register the repair with Aduanas BEFORE you sent it. With that receipt you don't have to pay duty when it comes back---at least that is the way it was...I have not done this recently.

However, now...only way to do it is to bring it back it with a friend or relative. NO other way.

HB

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
But I've noticed lately that in certain business meetings with higher-level Dominican business circles there seems to be certain...protocols...and a sort of unspoken "uniform" code, not too dissimilar to what I encountered in the states. Lot's of Mount Blanc's, rings and wrist bling. I wouldn't wear it anywhere but in those surroundings.

Often proper assimilation comes at a cost of "blending in..."

this is a fact here and something that took me longer than you did to notice. There is a certain expectation of appearance among the wealthy or professional, one is having a very nice car or an suv, dressing well with wrinkle free clothes, nice cologne and groomed well(for those with hair of course). I'm sure this is one reason I haven't made friends as I had hoped at the local golf course.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
The process would have been to register the repair with Aduanas BEFORE you sent it. With that receipt you don't have to pay duty when it comes back---at least that is the way it was...I have not done this recently.

However, now...only way to do it is to bring it back it with a friend or relative. NO other way.

HB
That would have been very important to know. Thanks.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
this is a fact here and something that took me longer than you did to notice. There is a certain expectation of appearance among the wealthy or professional, one is having a very nice car or an suv, dressing well with wrinkle free clothes, nice cologne and groomed well(for those with hair of course). I'm sure this is one reason I haven't made friends as I had hoped at the local golf course.
My experience here is that:

-folks in business in the DR are very "first impression" oriented. Pass that test and you have a foot in the door.

~and~

-folks want to know who you know, and who your family is.

Much of a first meeting centers on these two topics. Understand that, and do NOT rush into talking business.

I've been in intro meetings with Dominican partners where, upon leaving, I'm like "what was that all about? Nothing happened!!!" And my partner is saying "Great meeting. Couldn't have been better. We're in, we'll get the business." And we do.