Questions from a Body Piercer & Tattoo Artist...

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Better in Maori

The cops will be looking for you all time "preso por sospecha" you will be in charged in arrest.
....jejeje, even Figueroa was finally caught because of his tatoo. :bunny:
Guess, MijnKatje will always stick out like a sore thumb.
But maybe it's that attention she wants.
Why not.

donP

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
....jejeje, even Figueroa was finally caught because of his tatoo. :bunny:
Guess, MijnKatje will always stick out like a sore thumb.
But maybe it's that attention she wants.
Why not.

donP

One thing for sure is if you bring attention to yourself here, it is rarely a good thing. Tattooed people here tend to have the idea that we are all in some big family that are bound by ink to want others attention and be nice to each other. If you allow yourself to be noticed by these people then you already line yourself up for speculation and eventually bad taste when you ignore them as they try to invite themselves into your life and pi$$ you off with the constant, 'how much, how much' crap I thought I'd got rid of when I left the Northcoast.
I cover up 75% of the time, just to blend in, attention here is only good if you are a street clown.

Condorito

Aug 2, 2010
Dear Vancouverite,

Regrettably, your tattoos and piercings will not be as understtood in DR as they are in Lotusland.

You will be as welcome as a Hells Angel at a high-society gala fundraiser. You can feel free to become a trail-blazer, but is going to be an uphill trek all the way.

Best wishes,

Moi

PapaGG

May 31, 2010
tattoos

I don't think you'll have a problem at all. However, 1 week will not give you enough time to get an idea of how it works around here. Take at least a month, rent a house or apartment, DO NOT stay in an all inclusive... cause that ain't the DR!!

MijnKatje

Aug 26, 2010
....so basically you now have the full span of ideas on whether it will work or not lol

Ha yes, that about sums it up :D

I have a lot to think about, thank you all again for all your thoughts and information. To be honest, I'm not sure I want to be a pioneer, it's a long, expensive and most likely unrewarding journey, and I'm definitely not an attention whore (to spite my mods I actually fit in in Vancouver here ;)).

I have a couple of friends who own shops in San Jose, Costa Rica and Oaxaca, Mexico and those were my original choices as I would already have shops to work at, places to stay and people I know, but getting work visas as a tattoo artist is nearly impossible as it is not considered a specialty that a citizen of those countries could not do. The Dominican Republic however, seems to have no real issues with foreigners working there.

I will still be coming for a visit in April and will continue to do research and look into the "budding" body mod industry in the DR :)

Thank you again,

-Katje

belgiank: My grandparents are from Holland and Mijn Katje (my kitten) was what my grandmother always called me ;)