Quit your job and live abroad. DR #3

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
We spend around RD$25,000 a month in the supermarket. Family of three, no pets.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
We honestly don't keep very good track of what we spend of food and laundry supplies....etc. However it's definitely not 50,000. Meat wise we only buy Chicken, usually local but once or twice a month we buy the big skinless, boneless brest packages from Pricesmart. We mainly live of fruit, vegetables, and red wine.
There are three of us plus 3 dogs and 3 cats.

That doesn't count eating out which may cost another RD$10-12,000 for maybe 6 times a month.

We eat a lot of chicken, pork, fish, cheese and ground beef. We'll eat imported beef maybe 3 times a month, a real treat.

Veggies come from local sources and Nacional, occasionally from PS (they have such large qualtities it can be difficult to store.)

Most of our meat at PS along with cleaning supplies. My mom likes her wine and that ain't cheap in the DR. Alida and I don't drink.

Heck, dog and cat food alone can be almost RD$4500.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
now i realize we are slightly off the subject here so to bring it back on: people sometimes do not realize how expensive imported goods can be in DR. and if one wants to keep relatively close to american lifestyle it may cost you.
Bingo.

When I say RD$50,000, a goodly % of that is to cater to my mothers tastes. She wants to eat as she did in the states, and at 89 deserves what she wants. So a lot of what we buy is imported. Buying imported crackers, cookies, chocolates, cheeses and wine can really rack up the pesos quickly.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
A rule I follow is --

if it comes in a foil package - don't buy it

Certainly, duplicating the 'other' lifestyle is costly

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
I found it somewhat boring on my journeys there. Not to mention, too many overpriced restaurants, Frenchman and mosquitos!

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Expat

it does take some hunting and effort to get what you want.... and often away from the tourist areas....

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
The noise is an issue, but part of living most places in Latin America. If you live on or near a public street, fuggedaboutit. You'll be bombarded with noise from motos, ATVs, mobile boomboxes masquerading as cars, and trucks with speakers blaring "Juan Doe por Presidente! Para la gente!"

And the roosters that have never learned that they are supposed to crow as the sun is coming up, not the whole damn night long!
Der Fish