Raccoons in the DR?

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003

All the maps of the natural habitats of the raccoon that I have see have the peculiarity that not a single island in the Caribbean is highlighted. No Caribbean island may be the natural habitat of the raccoon, but that doesn't mean there are none. Several Dominican newspapers have recent articles of a raccoon spotted in Cristo Rey, Santo Domingo. Are there more in the DR?

Reactions: NanSanPedro

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
When I lived in NYC my home was very close to a major park covering acres and acres of wooded land. Picking up garbage from my overturned trash cans was part of my morning exercise. On my way to the park I first did all my stretching and bending at the trash can.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Never seen one in this country.
When i was a young kid in Jacksonville, FL we used to feed the babies when they'd come up to my back porch in the evenings.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
That little guy in Cristo Rey was probably somebody's escaped pet. I've seen a couple of videos of it since it was caught and it is clearly very comfortable around humans.
It must have been terrorized by the handling it got by the idiots that caught him.

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
They’re notorious for carrying rabies and other diseases/parasites. They can be vicious, and growing up in northern Canada, they weren’t something you wanted around at all.

Add them to the list of other invasive species, but they could be particularly devastating if allowed to reproduce here unchecked.

Reactions: johne

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
^^^Think about it...If your diet is spoiled and or rotten food stuff and road kill, how safe can they be?

Reactions: Auryn

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
It's the Fox variety that bedevils humans......

I had a rabid raccoon in my Cdn yard and was told not to worry

BTW, they become docile.... come out in the day..... but mine (at least) was harmless
Now a mother w/ babies...... STAY AWAY !!!

Reactions: nigrarosa

Lucifer

Silver
Jun 26, 2012
Cat-eating Dominicans could fashion a sancocho de mapache... y "a comer" se ha dicho!

And as an armadillo-eating nincompoop, I'll partake on the mapache feast.

• Haha
Reactions: malko and AlterEgo

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
They call them "monos mapache" with "mono" meaning monkeys. They aren't monkeys. There is a tiny island off the coast of Puerto Rico that has actual monkeys. If I'm not mistaken, those are runaways from a lab or descendants of the runaways and not native either. They have been there for years.

• Wow
Reactions: Facepalm Supreme

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
If Medio Ambiente is smart they’ll either eliminate the population or send them to the zoo where they can’t cause problems.

They’re not cute and cuddly and should be treated as the wild animals/invasive species they are.
Are they really a threat on Isla Catalina? They could be a problem on Hispaniola, but what animals live on Isla Catalina except some migratory birds and maybe sea turtles that deposit eggs in the sand of several beaches?

Sol09

Jan 12, 2017
If Medio Ambiente is smart they’ll either eliminate the population or send them to the zoo where they can’t cause problems.

They’re not cute and cuddly and should be treated as the wild animals/invasive species they are.
They are trying to, but the people who caught it are demanding a 100,000 DOP reward in exchange for it.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
They are trying to, but the people who caught it are demanding a 100,000 DOP reward in exchange for it.
Now resolved and is now in the hands of govt. authorities.