RE: Sea Horse Ranch

gentleviking

Mar 12, 2004
I am concerned about all costs, especially important costs like water and electricity, taxes, staff costing etc. If I had not been I would not have been in the financial position I am in today.

I do however understand that some people wonder like you do... the explanation is simply that I have x amount of cash Euro in the bank, so what I am trying to figure out is if the expenses I have calculated with can be covered solely by interest earnings from my cash in the bank since I do not want to work.

I am very thankful for those of you that have given me contructive feedback, and hope for more.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I suggest that you will need a Personal Assistant/Body Guard/Driver/Chef/Medic

While you are in the DR! I am An American,living here for 9 years.I am Bilingual,English-Spanish.I have worked in South America,Antarctica,Vietnam,Thailand,and here in the DR.With the amount of money you are speaking about,I know that someone with my experience would be invaluable to you! By no means do I consider the DR to be particularly dangerous,but there are numerous pitfals that an assistant experienced in the "Ways" of the DR can help you avoid! Welcome to the DR! Cris Colon

tourjoy

Mar 13, 2004
So let's get real, how much to budget for typical ex-pat?

Can someone answer the question in general? What does an ex-pat norteamericano budget typically look like? Two people - retired. Used to the good life - top 5% in USA income - ready to sacrifice to not work anymore, but need certain comfort level.
Cost of maid per diem? per week?,
pool/garden helper,
groceries (nice diet),
eating out per dinner? per lunch?
elec, a/c,
taxes,
rent for 2bdrm 2 bath condo or villa near beach or great scenery,
assoc dues if i buy the condo,
home maint if villa,
clothes,
entertainment,
an el presidente or a pepsi, ( do you have pepsi or only coke),
Insurance for auto,
auto maint,
4 liters gas,
health ins,
houshold supplies,
toiletries,
cosmetics,
tele,
internet,
cable/sat,
baseball game 2 tix and refreshments?
and how secure can I feel? Where can I feel the most secure in the DR? The number of guards at Casa de Campo had me feeling like it was a police state, and at Doeado in PP it was heavy but not as bad.
Thanks in advance for serious responses. I can't wait to get out of here, but need to know I can afford it.

singletravel

Oct 13, 2003
As Robert said, there is no comparison to anything else on the North Coast. In fact, I just bought the last reasonable priced lot and will built a new home starting next week. If you are picky, then this is the place. But what's funny, I pay the same maintenance fee at Caribe Campo as they will charge me in SeaHorse. In SeaHorse it is a flat rate (around $350.00) and at Caribe Campo they charge by Sq Meter. Now I have this big balcony at Caribe Campo (very big) and UNLIKE the U.S, a house Sq footage includes "all livable area" (including balconies, garage etc.). Trust me, I'm really pissed at this (you get used to it in the DR :))....

If Mr.DR1 comes up as promised, I'll show him around SeaHorse and the new pad

:D

Singletravel

gentleviking said:
I would really appreciate it if anyone could give me some detalils (or inside stories/rumours) about owning and living permanently at the Sea Horse Ranch. I do not mean sales info, but more general about the management company, value of investment, the type of people living there, quality of life, activities, monthly cost of living in a development like that (Maids, electricity, water, maintenance) etc.

I am a 35 year old guy and experienced from expat-living on St. Lucia, on Trinidad, and in Rio. Also, I happen to be gay (but I would like to stress that no-one would notice that, and what goes on behind my walls is my business, and I do not make it anyones business ouitside my walls!, and, to avoid any misunderstandings I am not moving to DR for sex!!!), so any comment, if possible, on living there being "normal" but gay would also be very much appreciated.

Also, would anyone here know the approximate price for a BMW X5 in the DR?

gentleviking

Mar 12, 2004
Thanks "Singletravel". Since you obviously have finalized everything, let me ask you a question; How would you consider the security there now? How much security do you think, if any, you will apply yourself (private watchman, alarms etc)?

I am also considering buying a lot and building, but it seems to me that the "used" houses offered for sale are in mint condition and building yourself will be more expensive than buying used... also, my experience with starting a building project in the Caribbean is not the most stressless thing to go through. If you'd care to share some of your figures I would be very grateful.

I have not yet been in direct contact with Sea Horse management because I do not want the hazzle of horny sales people yet. So, all my knowledge comes from talking by email with a couple of owners and a visit there myself a couple of years ago.

sunnyvillas

Blocked due to spamming
Apr 29, 2003
Seahorse Ranch

Hej gentleviking,

From all my clients that stayed at the Ranch so far and me going there on a property inspection and visiting friends, I must say it is a top notch property . You have the greatest security , fantastic size of the lots and the management is very efficient also. They provide the best service and that's why you pay a top dollar for it.

If you have the money, that's the palce I would suggest to buy instead of building. I know there are many homes for sale at the Ranch and you would be also wise to contact the office, as they have many other homes for sale beside the one's that you found:))))

I am a Canadian myself, that lives in Denmark:))))
Best of luck
Rimma

Last edited by a moderator:

Island Treats

Sep 5, 2003
SOSUALIVING.COM
Sosua/Bayardo combination approximately:
US$2500.-- per month includes food but not limited to:
2-utilities (water,gas,cable & electric)
2-groceries (mostly vegetarian savoir faires}
2-internet flash
driver- $US100
maid services
entertainment
insurance (health care,home etc)
etc etc etc :cool:
BTW***excellent security (non-gated) and good neighbors :classic:

Last edited:

singletravel

Oct 13, 2003
SeaHorse is run like an American company, not a Dominican one :p

1.) Security is the best on the island.

2.) Management is the best I've ever seen (including here in Calif)

3.) I looked at all the houses for sale. For what I wanted I decided to build. You have an in house architect and contruction (and I reviewed their work). You can built a quality (five stars) home for maybe 75.00 $ a square foot (or less) and have it just the way you want. I'm going to build a hi-tech contemporary 4,000 sq foot villa designed for the busy executive who needs to work and still needs a vacation. SeaHorse Ranch has a great rental program (they are booked solid many month) and rentals START AT $500.00 a day. Maybe I could buy a home a little cheaper, but the homes under $500,000.00 don't have the WOW factor. When I'm done my home will be worth twice what I spend (well, sounds good anyway).

This will be a home away from home and also a business. I plan to build something they don't have and now Robert has a place to stay when he visits the North Coast :p

Singletravel

P.S. Send me your email and I'll put you in contact with the owners of SeaHorse (great people) ...

I think their web page is:

www.sea-horse-ranch.com

and look at the rentals prices ....