Real Estate Transaction

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
I have made an offer for an apartment in Caribe Campo through Juan Perdomo and agent Dean Brown, and have every confidence that they are highly reputable. Dean tells me that it is customary that Guido Perdomo handle the transaction for both parties. Is that normal in the DR? I have no problem with it if I will be represented strongly represented in the event of a dispute, but I'm not sure I feel completely comfortable. I'd appreciate opinions and experiences. - Thanks, Danny

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
I have heard very good things about Guido Perdomo.

But...

If your not 100% comfortable, use another lawyer.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
It is only my personal opinion from years of selling real estate ( in Canada) that it's never a good idea for both parties to use the same lawyer in any transation. A lawyer is working for his client and in case of a dispute, which client is he working for? It might be cheaper that way but is it worth taking the chance?

jerryme

Feb 1, 2004
I didn't buy thru Perdomo but we did use Guido Perdomo for all the legal stuff and he did a great job.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
It IS a regular practice in the DR, Dean is right, however, I am with Anna on this one - who (in the event of a dispute no matter HOW small or great) is the lawyer going to represent most?

The ONLY time I would consider a joint lawyer is when all the agreements have been put in place directly by buyer/seller BEFORE the lawyer is involved. That way the lawyer is working to OUR instructions. I am doing this right now with the house that I am selling - I have known the buyer for 8 years & trust him implicitly, & HE, I! ~ Grahame.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
It is common, but my personal preference is to have my own lawyer.,

The only two lawyers I recommend in Sosua are Guido Perdomo and Fabio Guzman. But I would not use Guido if he also represented the seller.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
I have used Guido to handle both sides of a deal more than once without any problems. You don't want to use Guido to go to court since he is NOT confrontational but I trust him and his prices are REASONABLE!

Good luck,
Scott

Fabio J. Guzman

DR1 Expert
Jan 1, 2002
www.drlawyer.com
In Latin countries and much of Europe, real estate purchases are executed by "Notaries,? a function that is very much different from American notaries.

A notary is supposed to be a law school graduate, specially appointed to prepare and execute, within a certain jurisdiction, deeds of sale, mortgages, and other instruments affecting real property interests, as well as deeds of gift, wills and marriage contracts. His function is to verify and keep on file all instruments relating to the transactions done by him. His position is supposed to be one of impartiality between buyer and seller.

Unfortunately, Dominican notaries are neither well-trained nor regularly supervised. If you feel uncomfortable, get your own lawyer or notary to review the transaction.