Receipts for legal fees

Seamonkey

Bronze
Oct 6, 2009
I've always gotten a receipt from a lawyer when work was completed. Never even had to ask.

Manuel01

Apr 1, 2009
Is it standard legal protocol in the DR for a lawyer to provide receipts for fees paid?
By Law he has to provide you with an official Invoice with "Comprobante Fiscal". I never got one and also would not push him to do so. Might just make a lousy lawyer even more lousy. BUT ASK FOR A SIGNED AND STAMPED RECEIPT !!!!! This Guy might just show up in a year or two to demand the $ "that you owe him" incl, interest. BE AWARE ))))) with a few exeptions, Lawyers are the biggest scumbags in this country. This Forum is full of horror stories and all of them are true.

arete92

Jul 5, 2018
What he said ^ do not be nice to them they will screw you in two seconds I promise. Here is my experience. I paid 25,000 peso for something last year that was supposed to take 10 weeks. I hounded her constantly, "si, tranquil todo eso bien sabes cosas son tarde en esa pais" 10 weeks turned into 20 then 20 turned into 60. I wrote her a formal email with the receipt attached in good quality next to my passport and threatened her with another lawyer which I had waiting, she gave me my money back in 5 hours.

Please do push them, keep them accountable, if you do not you are setting yourself up for lost money that you will never recover. Out of respect the lawyer should give you a receipt for appreciation and to develop trust - if that precondition is not there just run. The same goes with lost receipts it's their ticket out, take a picture of receipts as soon as you get them and keep them on your Google drive "facturas"

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Is it standard legal protocol in the DR for a lawyer to provide receipts for fees paid?
What IS "standard protocol" on DR1... IMO, is you will receive answers to your post, from certain posters that will spit out hate and disrespect ALL lawyers in the DR. (and perhaps in the universe). I don't care what their problem is but I suppose that they were hurt when their mama dropped them on their head in early childhood.
I have met socially, deleath with, been advised by, at least 10 lawyers here in the DR in the past 4 years. Funny isn't it ...I NEVER HAD A PROBLEM or met "the biggest scumbags" that one of the dropped on his head poster wrote about here?
Real estate closing, immigration matters, lease on apartment review, etc. never had a problem with lawyers as three of the posters described here.

Note to mods: You can delete this if you wish, however you might want to consider the slander here against members of DR1 that are lawyers, advertisers, and the hundreds of good lawyers that don't deal with grumpy ex-pats.

Teacher1

May 9, 2024
USA
What IS "standard protocol" on DR1... IMO, is you will receive answers to your post, from certain posters that will spit out hate and disrespect ALL lawyers in the DR. (and perhaps in the universe). I don't care what their problem is but I suppose that they were hurt when their mama dropped them on their head in early childhood.
I have met socially, deleath with, been advised by, at least 10 lawyers here in the DR in the past 4 years. Funny isn't it ...I NEVER HAD A PROBLEM or met "the biggest scumbags" that one of the dropped on his head poster wrote about here?
Real estate closing, immigration matters, lease on apartment review, etc. never had a problem with lawyers as three of the posters described here.

Note to mods: You can delete this if you wish, however you might want to consider the slander here against members of DR1 that are lawyers, advertisers, and the hundreds of good lawyers that don't deal with grumpy ex-pats.
In the US lawyers give receipt for services rendered. That’s what is meant by standard protocol.

Teacher1

May 9, 2024
USA
In the US lawyers give receipt for services rendered. That’s what is meant by standard protocol.
I know that every in every profession the those who do not function unprofessionally . My intention was just an ask because the “lawyer” that we have dealt with to date has not provided one receipt.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
I know that every in every profession the those who do not function unprofessionally . My intention was just an ask because the “lawyer” that we have dealt with to date has not provided one receipt.
A red flag should have gone up. The first time I didn't get a receipt would have been the last time I dealt with that lawyer. I've always been given receipts w/o asking from the lawyers I've dealt with.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I used Fabio's firm back in 2001 and their service was excellent. I know more than a few lawyers and none of the ones I know are not trustworthy. I even had one who had a POA over all of my dealings and never had a single issue with her up to her passing.

So stop with the "All lawyers here are dishonest" crap.

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
It's time to have a clear conversation with your lawyer. That is not the type of relationship you should have with them.

El Hijo de Manolo

It's outrageous, egregious, preposterous!
Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
It's time to have a clear conversation with your lawyer. That is not the type of relationship you should have with them.
I can't imagine not getting a receipt for any cash handed over for anything in any country. I've even written and dated a receipt for illiterates to sign in DR as long as it matches whats on the cédula

Reactions: LindseyKaufman
Aug 21, 2007
I can't imagine not getting a receipt for any cash handed over for anything in any country. I've even written and dated a receipt for illiterates to sign in DR as long as it matches whats on the cédula
I agree, but If the receipt is not forthcoming, the secret is humility. " I am sorry but I always forget things and do not want to make mistakes regarding what I owe you.. Could you please write me a receipt?"

Kindness, handled properly, always wins.

El Hijo de Manolo

Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
I agree, but If the receipt is not forthcoming, the secret is humility. " I am sorry but I always forget things and do not want to make mistakes regarding what I owe you.. Could you please write me a receipt?"

Kindness, handled properly, always wins.
Thank God for kind, considerate folks like you, because I may have been overheard saying "I am sorry but I always forget things and I don't want you to think you're getting away with ripping me off, so if you would be so kind as to write me a receipt"

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Agree. In fact when I write my rent check I bring it to the office which is right next to my building.She insists she must give me a receipt.Some time back I asked why(?) my check is the receipt with the notations on it. She replied--because that is what I am required to do. A receipt for all transactions. She's right. I never asked agin.

Teacher1

May 9, 2024
USA
Thank God for kind, considerate folks like you, because I may have been overheard saying "I am sorry but I always forget things and I don't want you to think you're getting away with ripping me off, so if you would be so kind as to write me a receipt"
Several request made for a receipt or documentation but to no avail. needless to say the money is gone now.

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
I pay my rent by transfer, so my comprobante is my receipt. I have always used a simple system paying a week ahead and adding anywhere from 1 to 12 pesos a month, followed by the year to my payment, so I can print out my entire payment history from the bank with a click of a button .

El Hijo de Manolo

Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
I pay my rent by transfer, so my comprobante is my receipt. I have always used a simple system paying a week ahead and adding anywhere from 1 to 12 pesos a month, followed by the year to my payment, so I can print out my entire payment history from the bank with a click of a button .
Well you've been here since the great depression JD, us old pirates know the drill. It's a shame controls are still so poor at customs that stuff like this happens