Recipe for Longaniza?

May 29, 2006
When we went to an all inclusive last summer, they couldn't even make burgers. They had some salty spice blend in the "beef" and they were tough. Hard to watch the guy hack at them while he cooked them, pressing any moisture out of them. The hot dogs were prob less than 50% meat. Mi esposa's sister's neighbor sells the same kind for ten pesos on a stick and I think she doubles her money..

Found some recipes, but none Dominican. They're 20% pork belly(bacon) 80% shoulder. That sounds like a good start.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
When we went to an all inclusive last summer, they couldn't even make burgers. They had some salty spice blend in the "beef" and they were tough. Hard to watch the guy hack at them while he cooked them, pressing any moisture out of them. The hot dogs were prob less than 50% meat. Mi esposa's sister's neighbor sells the same kind for ten pesos on a stick and I think she doubles her money..

Found some recipes, but none Dominican. They're 20% pork belly(bacon) 80% shoulder. That sounds like a good start.

yes, 20% pork belly sounds sweet. Dominican longaniza is 20% truck tire and 80% landfill, fried in 90 weight axle grease.

i have no idea why guys here who make burgers believe that you need to press them down with a spatula. they can?t figure that you squeeze out the moisture that way...

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Juicy is seen by many as being under cooked. When you consider some of the meat handling practices in this country, cooking a patty containing numerous parts of one or more species until it attains the doneness of clay in a kiln, keeps the foreigners from getting sick and as an added result probably removes most of the nutritional value that was there in the first place.

Under cooked meat that may have been contaminated during butchering or contain parasites is still a problem here. I think this is why many tend to cook things well beyond what we would expect if we had some confidence in the cleanliness and quality of the product to begin with.

Case in point, just look at some of the comments about sausage meat in this thread about Longazina. Not a lot of confidence in meat products that do not come from a high-end int'l butcher.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Juicy is seen by many as being under cooked. When you consider some of the meat handling practices in this country, cooking a patty containing numerous parts of one or more species until it attains the doneness of clay in a kiln, keeps the foreigners from getting sick and as an added result probably removes most of the nutritional value that was there in the first place.

Under cooked meat that may have been contaminated during butchering or contain parasites is still a problem here. I think this is why many tend to cook things well beyond what we would expect if we had some confidence in the cleanliness and quality of the product to begin with.

Case in point, just look at some of the comments about sausage meat in this thread about Longazina. Not a lot of confidence in meat products that do not come from a high-end int'l butcher.

i agree with you 100 percent. if you ever go into the neighborhood butcher shop here, and see how meat is handled, you would only eat canned goods..

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast

Peter, there's a Dominican recipe in the link I gave you in the second post.*

May 29, 2006
Yes, but I'll look some more. That wouldn't be like what I've been getting. Nutmeg I think, going by other recipes I've seen, and I suspect cilantro ancho. It also has fresh garlic. Mi esposa sells a lot of nutmeg, but she says it's mostly for coffee.

May 29, 2006
The health code for pork is 135? in the US, but there may be pathogens here that need a higher temp. I cook all meats here to over 165?.