Record abstention in the 2024 municipal elections in some cities; PRM on the way to absolute control of government?

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
Abstencion-Elecciones-Municipales-2024-Diario-Libre-1024x676.png

The president of the Municipal Electoral Board of Santiago, Haime Thomas Frias Carela spoke up concerned about the widespread abstention in the municipal election. He said in Santiago, only 30% of eligible voters voted. He says this is high compared to the 52% that voted in the 2020 municipal elections. In 2020, the country was immersed in the Covid-19 pandemic.

He said the Central Electoral Board (JCE), the organizer of the elections, did its part in organizing the elections and motivating people to go to vote.

The results of Santiago went beyond generalized abstention. There were 8,105,151 persons eligible to vote in the 2024 municipal election. Of these 3,775,587 (46.5%) did so. The overall abstention then was 53.5%. Abstention in the past municipal election in 2020 was 52%. Analysts emphasize 2020 was a pandemic year. Nevertheless, 2020 was a...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Wow
Reactions: windeguy

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
People vote when they are unhappy and want change. If they're happy, they don't bother.

Reactions: Big

aarhus

www.johnboyter.com
Jun 10, 2008
I
People vote when they are unhappy and want change. If they're happy, they don't bother.
I am not quite sure that is the full explanation. Yes they do seem to get out and protest and vote if they are very unhappy with what’s going on. But not voting because they are happy. Not so sure about that.

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
Reactions: CristoRey

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
Final report was 53% only didnt go to vote, those numbers came out before final report of voters, also we have almost 3 Millions of Dominicans living aboard that can not vote as only for presidentials elections they have the rights to vote aboard, plust the thousands gone bye the vuelta por Mexico, so that % its incorrect. According to JCE Comparing with the last elections the increase was 2.47.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Then you have this:

62% of the population believes that politicians are corrupt​

Here are some opinions on the issue:

And the other 38% just are getting started.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
They need to have a long talk with the owners of those cedulas too.
They can talk until their tongues fall out. Won't make a difference. I'm guessing the low turn out was because Dominicans hate having to stand in a line for more than 5 minutes.

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
Well stated.

Abinader: “I neither celebrate triumphs nor cry defeats”; asks for an attitude of humility and commitment​

By
We are Pueblo Media
-
February 22, 2024
https://www.facebook.com/sharer.php...rrotas-pide-actitud-de-humildad-y-compromiso/

The President of the Republic, Luis Abinader, indicated this Thursday that after the victory of the Modern Revolutionary Party (PRM) and its allies in the last municipal elections, an attitude of “total humility and greater commitment” must be taken.
“In my life, I neither celebrate triumphs nor mourn defeats, therefore today's attitude must be one of total humility and greater commitment,” he said when leading the PRM 's thanksgiving mass.

In that sense, Abinader strongly asked the mayors, and directors of elected municipal districts to assume the same commitment and behavior during their administration.
“Today I ask you, I require you, I demand that this must also be your commitment and your behavior every day during your administration,” said the head of Government.

Aug 21, 2007
As far as the vote buyers…. In Jamao, the PLD candidate was winning when a helicopter landed behind the school. A PRM senator emerged and then two jeepetas with the candidate’s photo posted on the side pulled up in front of the school where the voting was taking place and blocked the road. They began handing out 1,000 pesos to every person in line to vote. A friend took a video.

The PLD candidate was a humble man who has worked hard for Jamao. At the last minute I donated to his campaign but said he could not use my funds to buy the souls of the people of Jamao. He replied that they have no money to do that. They are just trying to pay bills.

Jamao may be uneducated but they knew the best candidate and did not allow themselves to be bought. My friend, the PLD candidate won.

By the way, I support the best candidate and not any party. I also supported a candidate for regidor who is PRM.

Reactions: aarhus and Lucifer

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
As far as the vote buyers…. In Jamao, the PLD candidate was winning when a helicopter landed behind the school. A PRM senator emerged and then two jeepetas with the candidate’s photo posted on the side pulled up in front of the school where the voting was taking place and blocked the road. They began handing out 1,000 pesos to every person in line to vote. A friend took a video.

The PLD candidate was a humble man who has worked hard for Jamao. At the last minute I donated to his campaign but said he could not use my funds to buy the souls of the people of Jamao. He replied that they have no money to do that. They are just trying to pay bills.

Jamao may be uneducated but they knew the best candidate and did not allow themselves to be bought. My friend, the PLD candidate won.

By the way, I support the best candidate and not any party. I also supported a candidate for regidor who is PRM.
The people should take the 1,000 pesos and then vote for the other candidate. That might make them think twice about paying the voters!

Reactions: LindseyKaufman