Red Air - a new Dominican airline

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
Red Air has just been granted permission to start operations. It's a joint venture between Laser Venezuela and Servair Dominicana. They have 3 MD80 jets, each of which is approximately 30 years old, 5 pilots and various cabin crew.

After the chaos caused when PAWA went under, and given how many airlines are struggling to survive after the pandemic, I just hope that the authorities have checked them very carefully before giving this permission.

Interestingly, Wikipedia has a page dedicated to Dominincan airlines which have gone bust:

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
"RED" as in "in the red"? One would think they would want a name change, so I would assume they don't have the money to repaint those old beat up planes that are more like a opened can of 16 oz beer that was kicked around the town dump.

Sailor51

Happy to still be here
Oct 30, 2018
I am seeing RED ink as well.

Good luck to those 30 year old planes and those who risk flying them.
Quick research shows most airlines retired them 4 or 5 years ago. Service life was around 25 yrs. depending on maintainance.
Nick named "mad dog" by pilots.

Reactions: MariaRubia
Jan 9, 2004
Red Air has just been granted permission to start operations. It's a joint venture between Laser Venezuela and Servair Dominicana. They have 3 MD80 jets, each of which is approximately 30 years old, 5 pilots and various cabin crew.

After the chaos caused when PAWA went under, and given how many airlines are struggling to survive after the pandemic, I just hope that the authorities have checked them very carefully before giving this permission.

Interestingly, Wikipedia has a page dedicated to Dominincan airlines which have gone bust:

Good luck to them.......they will need it.

I am not sure why Servair got involved as they are an FBO (fixed base operator) that handles ground operations like baggage, fueling etc., at some DR airports.

And 5 pilots is barely enough to keep one plane flying full time.

Maybe 1 plane is for daily flying, 1 for backup, and the third for spare parts lol.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
But still functioning...... planes have a difficult, long life

Turn them 'Off' and they aren't making the owner money....
Never ending flying

Yes, mostly cargo now but until recently , passengers too.
Witness British Airways

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Not all 747's flying are 30 years old. They're still in production. Most airlines retired them because they're not as fuel efficient as the newer two engine Airbus and Boeing models.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
cavok - they have stopped production now - no more being built

First ones were 1970 or so - '69 maybe

My college girlfriend worked the 1st Pan-Am flt - NYC to LHR - first class lounge

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
The 747 has had a great run.......

Now we may see supersonic coming back..... Boom is the manufacturer
UAL has ordered some

Jan 9, 2004
The MD80's are gas and maintenance hogs. Maintenance hasn't been a strong suit with Dominican airlines. I wish them luck!

Nor has it been with Laser airlines, the predecessor to Red Air. They have had an inordinate amount of “engine out” problems with their MD 80’s while flying.

Since this really looks like a Venezuelan airline masquerading as a Dominican one, perhaps they will take cryptocurrency as payment. The Venezuelan Bolivar is certainly worthless.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
Great. So in summary we have an airline started by another airline that has a history of engine failures. Flying planes which are 5 years past their "use by" date, which every other airline has stopped using. Started in the middle of a pandemic when even 100 year old airlines are struggling to survive. And a name which is synonymous with making a loss. What could possibly go wrong?

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
Great. So in summary we have an airline started by another airline that has a history of engine failures. Flying planes which are 5 years past their "use by" date, which every other airline has stopped using. Started in the middle of a pandemic when even 100 year old airlines are struggling to survive. And a name which is synonymous with making a loss. What could possibly go wrong?
Lots could go wrong but lots could go right. I'm rooting for them!