Registering with your National Consul in the Dominican Republic (Pro's & Con's)

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
If the "BIG ONE" rocks the DR,leaving thousands dead,and the country destroyed it's good to know that you think your embassy will send a limo to find you!
If you show up at any evacuation point to be repatriated,your passport/drivers license,"BRAIN" will get you on the "Boat"!
I believe that when it comes to sharing your "Personal Information",...LESS,is MORE!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
Hell,I won't answer the phone if I don't know "WHO" is calling!
It's like opening email,I don't know the sender,"DELETE" button!

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009
If the "BIG ONE" rocks the DR,leaving thousands dead,and the country destroyed it's good to know that you think your embassy will send a limo to find you!
If you show up at any evacuation point to be repatriated,your passport/drivers license,"BRAIN" will get you on the "Boat"!
I believe that when it comes to sharing your "Personal Information",...LESS,is MORE!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
Hell,I won't answer the phone if I don't know "WHO" is calling!
It's like opening email,I don't know the sender,"DELETE" button!
You were proven wrong in the response to the earthquake in Haiti. The consulate had US citizens including a group of students registered as staying at the Hotel Montana. In collaberation with French, US search and rescue teams made search of the hotel a priority. One US citizen was freed after 65 being trapped 65 hours.

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009
and your point is?
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
When Miami Dade and Fairfax County Search and Rescue Teams arrived in Haiti (within 24 hours), they were immediatly directed to the Montana Hotel because Consulate personel had record of number of US citizens staying there who were missing (among those missing were 4 students & 2 professors from Florida). Although these 6 were not saved, many others were. The remains were found and transported home to families, not added to the mass graves. All because they registered their locations in Haiti. Get the point? (Glad too see you're back pounding that capital C.)

facelessdoll

Oct 20, 2011
True. Registering with the embassy is the easiest way to know where to look in case there's an emergency, it helped a lot during the haiti crisis because sometimes family members don't know where you're located other than the city, sometimes not even that! :S Contrary to your belief, they don't just give out your info to other agencies (at least for Canada).

Lolitula

Mar 16, 2011
Kate's on it! And you can register online through Foreign Affairs Canada.
When Hurricane Irene was due to hit Cabrera and the North Coast (nothing but a bit of breeze, I say :) ) we received warnings and info from the Cdn Consulate.
It's always safest to register, in my opinion...after all, they're there to HELP! :)

Don't know about other countries, but with Canada, your registration is protected by the Privacy Act. They can't share that info with other government entities unless it is really, really necessary. The info is only used in case of an emergency and as a general statistic so they can know how many wardens they need in each area to be able to handle an emergency as efficiently as possible. And it's true, according to scientists the DR is well overdue for a major earthquake.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Hello,
I just regestered. Didn't hurt at all!
Upon finishing I was advised that between [B]now and the end of November 2011 there is an alert for travelling in Yemen! Good to know! Terrorists of course.[/B]
Der Fish

Dont get AZB started now ;) :)

But mid-December is cool ?