Regular Mail

Tom F.

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
When I was in the Peace Corps in the late 80's I would go to the post office in SFM and pick up my mail. I also had a slot at the Peace Corps office where I received mail. Every once in a while I would have things stolen but for the most part I received most of what was sent to me. You could also send a telegraph at the post office in the country and was a way to communicate within the country with other volunteers. About 7 or 8 years ago I sent myself a package from the DR post office in SFM to my home address in New Jersey and received my bolas de cacao with no problem a few months later. I would never rely on it but it does exist.

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
You are still early, give it a few more months or maybe years....................
Sent a post cards for Christmas 2016 to friends and family in DR...Still waiting, none of them got it.

JJ

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Back in the 1970s, before Internet, when a phone call cost a couple of dollars a minute, Mr AE and I wrote letters. He lived in Santo Domingo. Balaguer was President. Throughout the 80s I sent birthday and Christmas cards to my inlaws, often with cash in them, they all got there. By the 90s I stopped, mail was taking 3-4 months, sometimes never arrived, and by then there were ways to wire money that got delivered. Ah, the good old days.

The only mail we get these days is our electric bill, they roll it up and stick it in the gate.
During first term of Leonel Fernandez mail quite good. He made it a priority. But it didn't last

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
The only time ever you will see a mailman knocking on your door in DR is when a Preaviso package have been issued by the American Consulate.
They know people gets so Happy that will tip them very well.

JJ

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Is it true that there is no regular Mail in the DR as in the US.? I sent a package to the DR via "regular mail" from the US and it hasn't arrived yet. I sent it on October 2, 2021. Should I try to get a refund or wait.
Wait 6 months and check again. Did you not check with someone in DR first?
I have lived here 4 years, and been visiting since 2000 and I have yet to see a postman.
There is a post office in Puerto Plata but it's falling down.

Reactions: windeguy