Reliable vehicles for the DR

pi2

Banned
Oct 12, 2011
It cost me 10$ or more congestion charge every time I drove into London and $10+ per Gallon for fuel. Catch the tube(metro) or bus or train - motor vehicles are a waste of resources. It is just common sense and millions of Londoners accept the congestion charge, so do Singaporians the road pricing etc. Much of DR is far too congested for private motor cars. So DR,s should buy one that breaks down frequently for long periods.

pi2

pi2

Banned
Oct 12, 2011
Still we do not know the best vehicle for the DR - worst in reliability, expensive to repair, high petrol consumption - Hummer H1 perhaps?
pi2

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Still we do not know the best vehicle for the DR - worst in reliability, expensive to repair, high petrol consumption - Hummer H1 perhaps?
pi2
But they are SO much fun to watch the horrified faces of the sensitive, uber-PC crowd as you roll over kittens, hippie environmentalist vegans and baby harp seals on the way to pick up some dead animal flesh to cook over chunks of hard carbon, spewing aromatic particulate for all to enjoy.

Yes. An H1.

Thanks for the great suggestion, Pi2. I'll start searching for one right now...

With bigass retina burning, flame-throwing high beams...

nyc dad

Bronze
Jul 28, 2011
pi2

No,but we are looking for the most reliable,more bang for your buck,easy to find repair parts,vehicle.Japanese sounds like the way to go!!! Japanese hybrid even better,gonna check out some prices.Maybe its best to go new since at least you get the dealership warranty

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
I second Windeguy's suggestions. Buy Japaneses, Toyota, Nissan etc are good.
I see a lot of KIA's and Hyundai's these days, they have been having a real push the past 2 years, both good brands.

belgiank, I have a new car, had it for 2 months in the city and not a single scratch.
Unless it's real old, it's going to have an ECU.

Robert, I think you are going to win the next lottery as well.... Invest those 2 $$$!!!!

Just joking... kudos for you...

I have owned, in the past, a brand-new Landrover freelander.... the biggest piece of **** I ever had... During the one year of warranty I had, the car spent around 8 months in the repair center, and the repairs amounted to the huge total of 14,000$. I did not have to pay those because of the warranty, but I spent a year driving around in the replacement car which was a small rover 320 (think mini, you Americans)... I still feel guilty and have sleepless nights about the innocent victim who bought that load of crap...

I have owned a Mitsubishi Montero Sport with a diesel engine... brand new... I will stop here, as I am already reaching for the Peptobismol....

Especially here... reliabe old suv or car, simple engine...

You might evade the scratches, and dents, if you avoid expats... lol. The ones I got, were caused by 2 American "ladies", who smashed into my car whilst leaving the parking lot of the local vet... The vet and his associates blinked several times, I was cursing, but the 2 American expats of the female kind, happily drove off...

BelgianK

jad604

Nov 17, 2011
Is it worth it to buy the rental cars that are put out of service although they'll be much older?

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
Is it worth it to buy the rental cars that are put out of service although they'll be much older?

hell no... they did not even work properly when they were rented out.... If they sell them, it means they will not run 5 miles without major repairs.....

BelgianK

pi2

Banned
Oct 12, 2011
Well there is a 30 year old yellow VW beetle in the area.
Parts are still available.

Sounds a reliable choice - no electonics to go wrong - solid shassis -perhaps even superior to the H1, the first choice.

380669783_c96c168ad3_z.jpg

pi2

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004

Sounds a reliable choice - no electonics to go wrong - solid shassis -perhaps even superior to the H1, the first choice.

pi2
Cool. Another pollution-spewing death trap.

Makes the Hummer look...enviro-friendly by comparison...

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012

pi2

My friend used to have one 25+ years ago and it kept going and going even after many parts are being held with duct tapes. It put Energizer Bunny to shame. :)

I think I'll be in for a used Jeepta Russian Roulette, I hope I end up with decent one that will last me long time. So far checked Highlander, Escape and Tucson in Moca. Next I was going to check Equinox but from reading all these thread I will be better off buying Highlander. But I still have time so I'll see what we end up with.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Toyota, Toyota, Toyota - everyone can work on them, millions of inexpensive spare parts, and you can sell it when you want. They are very popular. Had a Corolla which I drove to near death. Put a new engine in it and sold it to my wife's sister who loves it and its still going strong.

pi2

Banned
Oct 12, 2011
My friend used to have one 25+ years ago and it kept going and going even after many parts are being held with duct tapes. It put Energizer Bunny to shame. :)

I think I'll be in for a used Jeepta Russian Roulette, I hope I end up with decent one that will last me long time. So far checked Highlander, Escape and Tucson in Moca. Next I was going to check Equinox but from reading all these thread I will be better off buying Highlander. But I still have time so I'll see what we end up with.

Definitely something to cherish and pass on:

[video=youtube;EdAZQvex48A]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdAZQvex48A&feature=related[/video]

pi2

Jetblue Flight 811

Oct 17, 2010
BelgianK whats wrong with Mitsubishi Montero Sports?I own a 97 with 218,000 miles and havent had to do a major repair yet, just change the oil and occasional brakes . Also everything still works(AC,stock radio,heat,etc) no leaks just a lil rust near the quarter panel.Probably the most reliable car i ever had and i got it used with all receipts and papers. Alot of them are running in DR as well

kampinge

Jan 18, 2012
Toyota Landcruiser 100 gasoil. I drive that car the last 9 years, never get a big problem, and if you get one everybody can help you