Reminder Notice to carry documents

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
this has been discussed...

I thought we were able to correlate other laws to validate the Rd stance... endorsing the Rd laws

Remember cancelling the Cdn Gringo thread as non-RD related ???

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
I know this is supposed to be DR related but I can't let that one go. As a UK citizen I can tell you that you do NOT have to carry ID there. We are not even issued with and ID card! If you are stopped by the police while driving and don't have your licence you are required to produce it at a police station within a few days.

Doesn't change the fact that, when traveling, especially in a country that is cracking down on illegal immigration issues such as DR, it's a good idea to carry some form of paperwork as to your identity.

You can have your principles and be detained for a few hours, or carry the required paperwork and minimize any interruption to your trip. As always, the choice is yours. Until it ain't.

pauleast

*** I love DR1 ***
Jan 29, 2012
I've been stopped. I was walking from a bar hailing a moto and 2 bikes pulled up, total of 4 officers (forget if they were politour or PN). Searched me for drugs and weapons, and in the process asked for my papers. The photo of my passport in my phone satisfied them, though it'd be disgustingly easy to photoshop my face on someone else's US passport and keep that in my phone.

They were professional and courteous, and apologized for stopping me when they were done. If my Spanish were better, I'd have apologized to the one guy for having to handle my smelly socks (I'd been dancing for quite a while). But really, served him right for making me take them off in the first place.

searched for drugs and weapons ??? Never ever have I heard of anyone being indiscriminately stopped for a weapons or drug search here. Maybe if you were leaving a known drug house. I walk all over Santiago and to a degree the North coast. Never have I seen anyone being searched. Shaken down for pesos on a traffic stop , but not on foot

pauleast

*** I love DR1 ***
Jan 29, 2012
Been stopped in a car never searched. Never stopped while walking, never scene it happen. Police are always polite to me, never really understand why I was originally stopped but I always offer a couple 100 pesos for the cause and say thank you and lunch is on me. Not a big deal

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
And what about the others ?? And how the DGM will know who to ask ???

What happens in other countries is irrelevant.

Most of the people asked will have very dark skin. The next most frequent group will have very light skin. Then there will be a third group.

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
Sunday I passed two DGM officers on a motorbike cruising around in the city of Santiago.

A little bit later as I was exiting the bakery, they had pulled up to a Haitian vendor walking down the street and were asking him for his documents. As I drove off the guy was going through his pockets, I should have stayed to see what happened. Being on a motor bike, the DGM sure wasn't going to be transporting.

Maybe I should carry some documents:

25irmux.jpg

carry extra doughnuts police lov em

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I agree that it is easier to carry your docs than it is to have to go through the hassle of
trying to buy off the cops/DGM agents.

DERFISH?? You said you don't have any kind of residency?? How can that be? You are a long time denizen
of the North Shore...please tell me that you don't just carry your documents...

Most of these "random" stop and frisk events are just looking for money. Please don't "make their day"--you just make it worse for the rest of us.

The system here is fairly efficient, so carrying your documents seems to be common sense--the least common of senses.

HB

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
The ONLY people still talking about the "Naturalization/Deportation" issue here in the DR area few "Gringos" on DR1!!!!!!!
Like every other "Gov. Program" here,it's OVER!!!!
It was just a "Dog & Pony Show" so the Dominican public would see the gov. doing "Something" about the "Haitian Problem"!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Walked right past the DGM truck full of agents on my way to work this morning. They were too busy talking to the chicas to
even notice me and I happened to be wearing a short sleeve shirt today showing lots of tattoos.

ohmmmm

Bronze
Jun 11, 2010
I was stopped and showed a copy of my passport to a police officer and he asked a few questions and then let me go on with my business... He did not ask for money. I told him I don't speak Spanish but in English he asked me how long I was here. I told him I come and go. That's it. The police must have a tough time discriminating between tourists and expats and probably don't want to spend the time or have the interest to sort it all out.

jimmythegreek

Bronze
Dec 4, 2008
As near as I can figure it costs a couple of thousand bucks that I don't have. Even if I were to marry some poor babe the cost of getting my documents together for that will be $200.00 plus 10,000 pesos to marry and then the costs of residency will be less, but how much less? A lot of babble here on DR1, but as with any subject here every one has an opinion, but the possibility that any one actually knows anything is quite small.
Der Fish

Yup-It cost me about 4-5X the amount to get married in DR than it would have cost me in Nevada. The cost of putting the paper work together and the fees to Junta Electoral are ridiculous.

jimmythegreek

Bronze
Dec 4, 2008
The ONLY people still talking about the "Naturalization/Deportation" issue here in the DR area few "Gringos" on DR1!!!!!!!
Like every other "Gov. Program" here,it's OVER!!!!
It was just a "Dog & Pony Show" so the Dominican public would see the gov. doing "Something" about the "Haitian Problem"!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Yup-DR1-where gringos are posting from their cubicles in a far off land with no understanding of DR-whatsoever. Reminds me of the Godfather movie, where they just remained low profile for months and let the other gangs wipe themselves out.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Yup-It cost me about 4-5X the amount to get married in DR than it would have cost me in Nevada. The cost of putting the paper work together and the fees to Junta Electoral are ridiculous.

Mmmh 2 or 3000 pesos JCE fee and a couple of translations ( if u are unlucky cos some civilised countries issue BC and such in diffrent languages ).
Just saying.